cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im planning on buying the Oculus Rift and Touch but I have a few questions

TheMysticle
Explorer
Hello! First of all congratulations on the oculus touch its incredibly amazing! I am planning on buying it very soon but what I am interested in is the tracking and the long term support, many people just like me would enjoy 360 degree room scale games on the oculus. I know that I can buy a third sensor and run experimental tracking and Im fine with that and many people have no issues with it. As they say though it is experimental so will the oculus touch have room scale in the future? Will oculus release new updated 360 trackers? Or will they move onto a new headset and shut down compatibility for this one (I hope not) Is what I hope true? I hope that oculus will not just move onto a new headset but they will keep perfecting this one creating new accesories, trackers etc for us to buy. That would be amazing. I dont mind buying new things for the current headset but I hope that they dont stop creating new things for a while. Back to the point though is oculus planning on updating its tracking system for the current oculus rift and touch? and will this headset be compatible for a long time?as in will it keep getting upgrades for at least a year?
Thank you very much and again great job on the touch,
Oliwier  
3 REPLIES 3

ColinB
Adventurer

Back to the point though is oculus planning on updating its tracking system for the current oculus rift and touch? and will this headset be compatible for a long time?as in will it keep getting upgrades for at least a year?

That updating is exactly what's happening right now with the tracking problems.
They are constantly updating/fixing and getting things better, believe it or not.

As far as being compatible for a long time, what's a long time?
In VR things move quickly. The hardware at the moment only supports a native resolution and no one will want that once things progress.
Like old monitors with low resolutions etc, folk just move on.

Word of warning though...The customer or consumer for the CV1 does have to be quite technically and computer competent. If you are just a non-tech buyer then don't expect the Rift to be plug-and-play like a monitor as it is still very much in development mode and will require some tech savvy and much patience.

jayhawk
Superstar
I actually cancelled my order for a third sensor since I feel it's just not enough of a requirement at this time, but then again I've bought zero games from steam, which is the only place you'll find games that benefit from a 360 setup, even then a 2 sensor setup gets you 90% there. Just depends on what you want to play and how you want to play I guess.

AndrewJ71
Heroic Explorer
The "experimental" 360 degree tracking merely means they'll be making software/programming updates to make it work more seamlessly. IMO there'll be no new head set, controllers or trackers any time soon. (Not this year - possibly next year, but maybe not).

And if a "CV2" did come out in the next year or two, I don't think support for CV1 will disappear. The CV2 will have things like better optics and possibly go wireless. At worst (as far as those who don't upgrade are concerned), things like foveated rendering might result in better graphics/resolution capability in the CV2 - while the CV1 users would buy the same games but have to run them on medium or low graphics settings. So they'd be getting basically the same as they are now, but CV2 owners will get an improved experience.