cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus lens too far apart?

jetbot33
Honored Guest

I've read the post https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4hne9n/does_anyone_else_feel_like_the_lenses_on_the_rift/

but angling the lens upward and loosening did not fix the issue for me. I checked my IPD and it is about 63. But even at the lowest IPD setting on my headset, the lens are not one solid circle. Instead, they are two overlapping circles. Because of this, nearby objects and text are blurry and aiming a gun via its sights is quite blurry in games like arizona sunshine.

Any ideas?

More info: When playing games like Arizona sunshine and overkill VR, I have a very hard time aiming down iron sights because I see two guns and I can't get the images to combine. Aiming with 1 eye is the only way I can do it. And in Subnautica, the inventory menu is close to my face so the text is extremely blurry. If I spend some time crossing my eyes I can get the text to be clear for a few seconds... This confirms that I cannot get the lens to combine in my eyes completely. Anyone else?

8 REPLIES 8

cybereality
Grand Champion
This has nothing to do with the lenses. It's a property of how your eyes work. Try placing your real hand a few inches from your eyes and you will see it is difficult to focus into one image without straining your eyes. Also, in real life you would close one eye to aim down pistol iron sights.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

comedykev
Protege
This chap would have a problem
 g3ystsc2xknn.jpg

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer

This has nothing to do with the lenses. It's a property of how your eyes work. Try placing your real hand a few inches from your eyes and you will see it is difficult to focus into one image without straining your eyes. Also, in real life you would close one eye to aim down pistol iron sights.

Seconded. Because of how VR works right now, and how you physically see things that are in close proximity to your eyes, these double images will occur for the vast majority of people using the headset (if not all people). I know they do for me, and its just something that comes with the territory right now (I usually close one eye to make longer shots, but for shorter ones, I line up the left-most image of the gun with my right eye).
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

kevinlowe0
Explorer

Also, in real life you would close one eye to aim down pistol iron sights.

This is a bad habit.  Pistol instructors teach tricks like putting a small piece of tape over the center of one lens of your safety glasses specifically to get people to stop closing one eye.

icrosson
Explorer
It is a bad habit, but if you never care to fire a weapon outside of games then I see no harm.  I too in Arizona tend to close one eye when I'm lining up a tough headshot. This coming from a Texan who's shot guns in real life.  It is funny to note that in a real gun shootout, you naturally will keep both eyes open the whole time, so says the internet.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Actually, I don't really know much about guns so you guys are probably right.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Thane_
Heroic Explorer
Normal 3D content without lenses looks perfectly clear at all times when it set correctly. I would guess it's either the lenses or the separation out of whack or a combination of both.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The OP is confusing blur with binocular disparity. Objects close to your eyes (in VR *or* in real-life) cannot be comfortably converged. This has nothing to do with the display and everything to do with how your eyes work.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?