cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No HDMI Connection Possible Fix

Radrez
Explorer
Hi everyone, I am posting this because I was affected by the "No HDMI connection" issue and I found a fix for it that nobody else mentioned (at least to my knowledge). I followed two leads when I figured it out. First the fact that I got the error only after I restarted my PC and second, a lot of people mentioned that its to do with power delivery through the USB slot. Anyway to the point:

Fix:
It appears some motherboards including mine (ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER) selectively turns on USB slots during POST stage. It only does it for the keyboard and mouse controllers. I think that when the system boots the driver for the GPU loads before the drivers for the USB Hubs meaning when the GPU tries to figure out what is connected to it and it can't because Rift doesn't have power at that point. To fix that I have adjusted the settings in the BIOS to force the motherboard to power on all USB slots during POST stage.

I have tested it over the course of the day, turning my PC off and on again couple of times and so far the issue is completely gone. If something changes I'll post it here but I thought it would be good to share that as it could possibly fix your issue too. It's something to be picked up by Oculus'es support staff as well.
9 REPLIES 9

cybereality
Grand Champion
Thanks for following up on this. I'll make sure to share this feedback with the team.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

firebane
Protege
Where in the BIOS did you find these settings?  For me I get this error maybe once every 5 or 6 reboots.  And if it happens the only solution is to reboot and hope it doesn't happen the next time.

firebane
Protege
Found the option.  Set my BIOS to full initialisation as well.  Will report back if I have the error again.

Radrez
Explorer
Its been 2 days now since I've implemented the fix and so far so good :smile:

korgen63
Protege
@Radrez
I've got an Asus Z170 deluxe and it seems to be a bios like yours. Could you tell where and what options you changed please?

Radrez
Explorer
@korgen63
You need to enable advanced mode while you are in the bios, then go to the Boot tab and under usb select full initialization from the drop down box, then save and restart your pc.

korgen63
Protege
I don't find this option, it seems my bios is slightly different. If someone finds the right option on a asus z170, let me know 😉

Seattlest
Explorer
I have an Asus Z170 Sabertooth Mark I. I could not find an option that appeared to do this. In my case, I corrected the HDMI connection problem by removing the foam cushion from the headset and re-seating the HDMI connection on the Rift itself.

firebane
Protege
I haven't had the issue come up since I enabled Full Initialization