cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is WebVR the future?

hp0701
Honored Guest
I'm making a document for school and the title is "Is WebVR the future for VR?". Now I'll discus about this topic here on this forum. For me (for this moment I've no experience with VR) is the answer yes for little applications and no if you want to use big data algorithms.

I've searched on Google what WebVR means. You use Javascript as main language and you need to use an API. For this reason I say no for big data algorithms because JS is not made for this.

Note: Please do not answer with "oke", "nice" or "no" on this question. Please add a reason why it's oke or not.
5 REPLIES 5

phillyd023
Expert Protege
okay

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The API can handle the workload of the Big Data algorithms. The role of JavaScript is to simply received the end results of the API processing and present it to the client, in this case the client is a web browser using virtual reality extensions. That is perfectly viable and exactly what JavaScript was built to do. Also, there are compression techniques that both an API and JavaScript can take advantage of to help decrease the size of the data.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Javascript is only really used for the front-end rendering. If you were working with big data algorithms you could pre-process the data (or process it server-side) using C/C++ code (or another high performance language) and just transfer over the final visualization objects for use on the client.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Why don't you just title it, "Is VR the future?" More people will understand what you're talking about. Otherwise, most people will tune out as you try to explain what web VR is. Also, there is no reason to think that web VR is the future of VR. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
WebVR allows cross-platform VR experiences which is a great reason to consider it a potential future of VR.