cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about 3D vision if someone can help?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I know it's not a question about Oculus, but since it's a question about 3D I'm hoping some can help me out. I have Nvidia 3D vision and I use this to play on a 27" monitor when I'm not using my Rift. I would like to use it on a bigger monitor because 27" is a bit small to watch movies on and play games in 3D. I'm just wondering if a 3D television works with nvidia 3D vision because I wouldn't mind getting a  bigger 3D tv if it can run it. I was also wondering about the refresh rate if it would be enough on a tv. I think 3D tv's only output 60Htz but my monitor does 120hz for 3D. Thanks!
46 REPLIES 46

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, I can help. Nvidia 3D Vision only works with their glasses and the special monitors that have specific support. Last I checked they only go up to 27", like the Asus Rog Swift which does 1440P 3D.

If you want to game on something bigger you could get a 3D TV or projector, however you CANNOT use 3D Vision but rather 3DTV Play via HDMI 1.4a. The problem is that HDMI only supports 720P @ 60Hz 3D (you can do 1080P but only at 24Hz). This was because of an old technical limitation and they never really went back and fixed the spec after hardware improved. Personally the quality at 1440P is probably much nicer than 720P, though a large screen or projector can be more immersive in a number of ways.

The other option would be to find a passive high-res TV (I believe there are a few 4K passive 3D TVs out there). This will both be a bigger size and also better quality than 720P upscaled. However, passive interleaved TVs have their own issues with ghosting and viewing angles and running games native in 4K 3D is probably beyond almost any system available (meaning you would have to turn settings all the way down or run at a lower res upscaled, defeating the purpose of the higher-res to begin with). 

You may want to investigate 3D projectors if your house can support it. They are much better for movies and gaming can be cool too. The prices are fairly affordable depending on the model. Personally, I have a projector but haven't used it too much lately but I did have a lot of fun with it over the years. And, of course, there are ways to do virtual theaters in VR but I'm still not convinced this totally replaces the real experience.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@CyberReality - Great information. Thanks! I think Asus Rog does a 31.5" monitor but the price put me right off. I think i'll just have to stick with the BenQ 27" because it also has light boost and without it everything is to dark for me.

Thane_
Heroic Explorer
Hell ya. Bigger is awesome for 3D and even general computer use, youtube videos, pictures.etc. I HIGHLY recommend skipping 720p because not only is it lower resolution, it is scaled over 1080p, further blurring the image as the pixels blend together to try and spread over 1080p worth of pixels. I struggled with trying to get 720p to look better for a couple years until i took someones suggestion and tried out a "CHECKERBOARD 3D" capable 3DTV, which basically looks like full 1080p. This limits you to Samsung TVs and old DLP TVs. Samsung also dropped broad support for checkerboard 3D TVs, however i haven't re-checked that situation in 2 years so there definitely could be perhaps one high end model that has it. They call it "pixel mode" in their user manuals, thats one way to search for a TV that has it since they don't advertise checkerboard mode, even in their specifications list.

I use an Samsung 46" ES7500, from 2012 i believe. I've never noticed the crosstalk while playing without looking for it which is great, its very bright too. If you sit close it downright amazing due to its lack of SDE closer than my normal viewing distance of 2.5ft. I have to move my head around a bit to look around the worlds which is like a little bit of free indirect headtracking.

Never tried a projector and i hear they are awesome, even at 720p. I did try a 27" VG278h too for its full 1080p rez provided by the dual link DVI connection and i only used it for 3D gaming for Battlefield 3 due to its lower input lag. Never used it again after receiving my Samsung with its checkerboard 3D.

A bigger screen isn't just a bigger window into the game world, it also increases the 2D size of objects, better fitting their true to life size. You already know what that looks like if you've tried a VR headset. Standing next to a hot rod "feels" like your standing next to a full size vehicle, much more so IMO than on my 27". Looking down the interior shaft of the Presidium in Mass Effect looks much more impressive and life like on my 46" and you can apply that to the lands of Skyrim, the halls of Dead Space, etc.

I've been forcing myself to learn 3D art to the past couple years so im a little out of the loop on this, but a lot of people on the Nvidia forums are getting 3D Vision to work on certain 4k models using *i think* passive 3D. My initial tests with passive 3DTV in the store were not good and i didn't quite feel that the passive lines from the 3D glasses were still too big at my viewing distance of 2.5ft. But they love it, so i wonder if i missed something for they just never tried checkerboard, i don't know, but it might be worth checking out, i know i want to be sure myself once i get back to it.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Thane_ - How do you set that up to run 3D games? Does it use sbs or checkers and does it work with most games? I've never tried that type of TV. Does it use active glasses?

Can you also suggest another tv like that because I can't find one even on ebay. Thanks!

leo1954au
Adventurer
I have the 27inch Asus monitor with 3D vision built in but before that I had the older version of 3D vision that needed 3d sensor http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/89617/image2.jpg and I know you could plug that into a TV but you have to have the 120hz TV and the lowest priced 120hz 31inch tv here in Aus is around the $600 mark

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

leo1954au said:

I have the 27inch Asus monitor with 3D vision built in but before that I had the older version of 3D vision that needed 3d sensor http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/89617/image2.jpg and I know you could plug that into a TV but you have to have the 120hz TV

@le01985 - That is the one I have in the link. Does it have to be a 3D tv you plug it into or just a 120hz television? Because I can't find a 3D tv that is 120Hz?

leo1954au
Adventurer
No just a 120hz TV as far as I know

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

leo1954au said:

No just a 120hz TV as far as I know

I don't think there are any tv's that do 120hz though. Do you know of any television that use 120hz? I'll have to try and find out if it also needs to be a 3D Tv. I'm more intrested in that checker Tv thing now that thane has spoken about it.

leo1954au
Adventurer
I've got 2 TV in my house that do 120hz Their quite common here in Aus