cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The agony of trying to share the Oculus experience

sumdevil
Protege
Got Oculus, got Touch.  Man, this thing is awesome.  So awesome, we changed our mind about getting a dedicated PC for it (we now have one) and for making the room for it (it now has its own room essentially...the "game room").  It's great.

So I have a wife and 3 girls who are as excited about it as I am.  And occasionally friends come over and I'm eager to show it to them.  Buuuuut......

Can't let the friends try The Unspoken.  Why?  Because that game only thought there would ever be one person playing it, so as soon as you start the game, you're right back where you left off. Great if I'm the only one in the world who plays it, terrible if you want someone else to be able to go through the beginning tutorial and backstory.

Same with Super Hot.

Same, I think, with The Climb.

Leaving alone the terrible decision of those game makers to do that, and Oculus for letting them do that (should have been a requirement to get on the Oculus Store...make it EASY for lots of people to experience this!), the only answer I could find online was to have people log into Windows under their own account (and have to make a throw-away guest account for any visiting friends).  So, I created an account for everyone in the house.  Once that was done, I logged in my wife to test it out.  Start Oculus...log in as me, of course, annnnnnd....."Hey, do you want to setup your Oculus now?"

So, for every Windows account I create, I have to go through the entire Oculus Rift/Touch setup.  It is just so much easier to tell them all "No, you can't try that.", and that's a complete shame.

As incredibly dumb as I find all this, I'm still willing to go through this pain IF and only IF....someone can tell me where the dumb files are that hold the Rift setup information so I can copy it from my user dir to all of the other ones.

I found Oculus directories in the hidden AppData dir and copied them over to another account, but that still didn't give me the sensor setup or Guardian system boundaries.

Is there any way to copy all of the Oculus setup info from one Windows account to another?
31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
I share your frustration on Super Hot but The Unspoken allows you to replay the intro or just the tutorial as man times as you like.

Press the menu button on your left touch controller and you can select "Replay Intro" from in there.

Also when you go to your map and select practice instead of ranked, then the globe in the centre is the tutorial again.

Hope that helps you show it off to your mates. Its a spectacular game to do so!!

jayhawk
Superstar
Yep. With Unspoken you can play the tutorial any time. Also, being aware of this myself I will put new people through the initial tutorial, the one that the Best Buy peeps would put you through and then it goes straight into the First Contact demo. Open the Oculus app, then library, then scroll to the bottom. It's the 'Touch Tutorial Complete'. Use that for newbies.

falken76
Expert Consultant
It would be easier to go into the file directories and change or erase the game saves between each session.  I can't remember where they are stored though.  I had to change Superhot all the time.  But it was certainly easier than logging into different Windows accounts and setting up rift on each of those.  I'm sure the climb and unspoken also have these save files also.  Someone will surely know where they're located.

DarkTenka
Trustee
The Climb doesn't do it, you can easily go back to the tutorial modes and select whatever level you want. Sure it saves your progress, but the progress in the game isn't linear and you can choose whatever level you want (or the tutorial) as you please.

I managed to get my brother into playing The Climb and I had him go through the tutorial again as well.

sumdevil
Protege
Thanks for all of the helpful feedback.

I didn't know about being able to run the tutorial in Unspoken again, so that helps.  There *is* a bit of progression to the game, though, as you get more of those magical golem thingies as you get better.  I doubt any of us are going to be hardcore about the game, so that probably doesn't matter.

So it sounds like Superhot is the biggest offender (though I'm pretty sure there was another Oculus game that I had the same problem with too).  I considered going the "move the save files" route, as someone else had suggested that.  It's a bit of a pain making .bat files to do that, and the main problem is saving the existing game files....who knows who played last, so you don't know where to save them to.  You could delete them, sure, to give someone else the first-time experience, but you'd lose whatever progress you had made.

On a certain level, I completely accept that this is still the wild-west of VR gameplaying, and that this kind of annoying kludging to get gameplay going is to be expected.  I'm a lot more tolerant of going through this than I would be for a mature technology.

OpticKing
Expert Trustee
@sumdevil What I did with superhot was simply make a folder shortcut on my desktop to the save file location, all you need to do is move the "VRsuper.hot" file into another folder (in your case it would be a good idea to simply make a superhot save folder, with individual folders with the names of your family and a guest folder as well, simply move the save files to the respective folder and it's all done within a few clicks, no .bat files needed) If you want a new game simply leave the file out of the directory and superhot makes a new one next time you start. The save file location is in: users > (your username) > AppData > LocalLow > SUPERHOT_Team > SUPERHOT_VR

AndrewJ71
Heroic Explorer
I agree that it's a problem. And I agree that renaming save files is the best way round the problem at the moment - but it shouldn't be required.

As a minimum, games should offer multiple save files to choose from and the ability to delete/over-write an existing save. Though you could still run into the problem of running out of save slots (if they limit you to 3 or whatever). The ideal solution would be for Oculus to enable family accounts/profiles in Home, which all have access to the games purchased on the main account. So you could then have a dedicated account/profile for each family member and one "guest" account too.

Many games have this problem. VR Sports is one - there's no way of resetting your save file or redoing the earlier tutorial sections - beyond the manual save file manipulation.

sumdevil
Protege
Ah ya, that was one of the other ones...VR Sports. Fun game!  But there's a definite progression and it's no fun starting to learn it in the middle of someone else's progress.

As it is, even with Unspoken, my middle girl is now asking to have her own account because 1) she doesn't want my large man hands (if she uses my account), she's right (not left) handed, and there is *some* progression in it that she wants to experience first-hand.  So, just re-running the tutorial isn't enough.  Grumble.

sumdevil
Protege

OpticKing said:

@sumdevil What I did with superhot was simply make a folder shortcut on my desktop to the save file location, all you need to do is move the "VRsuper.hot" file into another folder (in your case it would be a good idea to simply make a superhot save folder, with individual folders with the names of your family and a guest folder as well, simply move the save files to the respective folder and it's all done within a few clicks, no .bat files needed) If you want a new game simply leave the file out of the directory and superhot makes a new one next time you start. The save file location is in: users > (your username) > AppData > LocalLow > SUPERHOT_Team > SUPERHOT_VR 

Yes but, unless I'm not understanding what you're saying, you will still have to remember to copy YOUR save files back out after you've played.  Otherwise, the next person comes along, copies their save files into the Superhot folder so they can play...and now they've just overwritten your progress.  It's not IMPOSSIBLE to remember to copy them out to another folder after you've played, but it's all a bit more error-prone than I'd like.