/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Please sign for free locomotion

favanightfavanight Posts: 15
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
Just read about the upcoming games from GDC 2017:

- Arktika 1 : teleporting (Q3 2017)
- Killing floor incursion: teleporting (Q3 2017)
- Mage's tale: teleporting
- From other suns: teleporting

for me teleporting should be an option but not a must .....

Comments

• LitespeedLitespeed Posts: 213
    Nexus 6
    Signed.
  • NacaryusNacaryus Posts: 128
    Art3mis
    signed
  • kgian76kgian76 Posts: 42
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    signed
  • hoochyukhoochyuk Posts: 330 Poster of the Week
    Signed
  • STANGERISMSTANGERISM Posts: 29
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Signed for sure!!!! I would think by now they would realize most every one wants free locomotion!!!
  • PablitoPablito Posts: 308
    Trinity
    Signed!
  • Dark3stWhiteDark3stWhite Posts: 60
    Hiro Protagonist
    Signed!
  • iTsLiKeAnEgGiTsLiKeAnEgG Posts: 21
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Signed. Full locomotion is badly needed and drastically improves the experience. 
  • ExpediterExpediter Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    Signed!!! Onward would not be where it is without full locomotion. Dev's should take a look at that.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 1,355 Poster of the Week
    Free Locomotion makes me sick instantly, but it should be an option for others.  ROI is extremely important for anyone making anything, Free Locomotion can seriously damage that.  If your game gets reviews saying everyone got sick, your sales will come to a stand still and you just wasted all your time and effort.  THIS is exactly why so many are reluctant to incorporate it.  For me it means that the very Genre I invisioned to use this HMD with is one I can't even try really, so my Rift gets far less use from me than this forum itself does.  But this option should be available, just don't make it the default or you run the real risk of wasting all that development time.....
  • GrimdanfangoGrimdanfango Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    Signed for sure!!!! I would think by now they would realize most every one wants free locomotion!!!
    That's certainly not the case.  I personally think it's an awful idea, and completely destroys my sense of immersion, while teleportation only... interrupts it.  Teleportation is far from ideal, but I'll take it over something actively and violently disorienting.

I'm all for both types of locomotion being incorporated into games to give people the option, but I certainly don't want anyone getting the idea that "most everyone" wants free loco.  Plenty don't.
  • e_m_d88e_m_d88 Posts: 356
    Trinity
    Signed 
    ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S, i5 6600K. 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3000 MHZ. SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256 gigs. WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU. Inatech 4 port USB 3.0.  Rift + Touch.
  • nosyrbllewenosyrbllewe Posts: 18
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Signed. I am tired of games using teleportation as it breaks my immersion and free locomotion does not give me nausea anyway.
  • thatdude90210thatdude90210 Posts: 146
    Art3mis
    Yes, signed. I hate teleport only. 
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 898 Poster of the Week
    Signed.
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 217
    Nexus 6
    Signed
    Can I sign it twice?
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,128 Poster of the Week
    edited March 1
    Signed, teleport changes the entire dynamics of a game. I believe it should be an option for those who DO get sick over free motion, but not the standard and certainly not the only way to move around. I'll tolerate teleport in robo recall(and any other must haves such as fallout vr, etc), but I can instantly tell I would have a much better time with free movement.
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 690
    Neo
    Signed. Should be an option on all games.
    edited March 1
    OpticKing said:
    Signed, teleport changes the entire dynamics of a game. I believe it should be an option for those who DO get sick over free motion, but not the standard and certainly not the only way to move around. I'll tolerate teleport in robo recall(and any other must haves such as fallout vr, etc), but I can instantly tell I would have a much better time with free movement.
    The problem is teleport is too cumbersome. You simply cannot point and click a place to move while simultaneously fending off bad guys swarming in to attack you, its like trying to do two things at once with the same control interface (pointing and shooting). If the game is meant to be fast paced, then teleport is an instant disruption to that fast paced nature and it just makes gameplay really awkward.

You can design around it, but it just means making the game slower paced, which puts VR game design too far behind flat game design and will make it too hard to entice newcomers who are experienced gamers. The teleport requirement is just a really bad idea in general for VR, it's already so hard to convey the experience since they can't see/interact with it in anyway that compares with the real thing. Telling people that the VR games cannot do something that flat games can just risks having VR seen as a "gimmick" rather than a legitimate platform.
  • JoeManji08JoeManji08 Posts: 55
    Hiro Protagonist
    Is there an actual petition somewhere, or are people just replying "Signed" to this thread?  If it's the latter, and the intent is to get a count of how many people in this community are trying to show support for the idea, maybe a poll format would work better?

Either way, sign me up!
  • SeargentMofoSeargentMofo Posts: 21
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Signed! 
  • Adinsx12Adinsx12 Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    SIGNED. like alot of people i got really  bad nausea at first from using the rift when i first got it when playing games with twin stick locomotion/camera movement, mostly from doom 3 bfg and Elite dangerous. when playing i could probably only play for about 30-45 mins before having to really take a break and rest. however, after sticking with it for awhile, i got used to it. im not gonna say that everyone can get used to it and should be forced to used to it. However,  i think those that people who had their first experience  with free locomotion  movement systems feel uncomfortable at first, might wanna consider if they want to try to do the same. Im just saying its possible to become accustom to, but every should consider how they personally feel about it. That said, having the option between teleporting and free locomotion should definitely  be an option as much as possible, especially for single player games where you dont have to worried about putting some players at a disadvantage because of the difference between how other players move.

• PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 17
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Signed. The option is definitely needed.
    KillCard said:
    OpticKing said:
    The problem is teleport is too cumbersome. You simply cannot point and click a place to move while simultaneously fending off bad guys swarming in to attack you, its like trying to do two things at once with the same control interface (pointing and shooting). If the game is meant to be fast paced, then teleport is an instant disruption to that fast paced nature and it just makes gameplay really awkward.

You can design around it, but it just means making the game slower paced, which puts VR game design too far behind flat game design and will make it too hard to entice newcomers who are experienced gamers. The teleport requirement is just a really bad idea in general for VR, it's already so hard to convey the experience since they can't see/interact with it in anyway that compares with the real thing. Telling people that the VR games cannot do something that flat games can just risks having VR seen as a "gimmick" rather than a legitimate platform.
    I agree, but you do see the issue devs have right? 1: make it free locomotion - a chunk o' people get sick review it and sales drop or 2: make it teleport - people can play the game sans nausea but are miffed about the immersion breaking and game mechanic change that comes with it. or 3: make both and try to somehow balance your game mechanics so both are equal during use.

Some games simply won't work with both, seems like robo recall is one that can't really do both (but who knows maybe an update will bring it, I really hope so) but they've implemented teleport into the gameplay in a way that it's used regularly in fights, even making it an objective to teleport in mid fight to use it like an advantage. I'd love if it (and every game) was free locomotion only as it doesn't affect me at all. However my wife is, and it seems callous to say oh well get used to it or don't play it.

When 3d games first started coming out they did the same thing to many people, nausea and headaches, but as people used it more and more they became immune to it, and now finding someone that it happens to on a 2d monitor is rare. It's likely that vr will follow the same path, it will just take time and dev implementation to curtail it for now.
    OpticKing said:
    KillCard said:
    OpticKing said:

I agree, but you do see the issue devs have right? 1: make it free locomotion - a chunk o' people get sick review it and sales drop or 2: make it teleport - people can play the game sans nausea but are miffed about the immersion breaking and game mechanic change that comes with it. or 3: make both and try to somehow balance your game mechanics so both are equal during use.
    That issue is a fallacy, they really think people are that stupid that they can't figure out to stop using a mode that causes them to feel ill? This "my target audience is a moron" approach to development is just the wrong way to go about it. Have it optional, have it default to safe.

If they are smart enough to FIND the option to change locomotion to free, they are smart enough to know when/how they should be using it. It doesn't take a genius to figure out .. christ! I know people are stupid, but they're not THAT stupid.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 259
    Nexus 6
    signed. 

I tried free locomotion in Arizona Sunshine and experienced no nausea. 
  • ZandilZandil Posts: 961
    Neo
    Signed
    KillCard said:
    That issue is a fallacy, they really think people are that stupid that they can't figure out to stop using a mode that causes them to feel ill? This "my target audience is a moron" approach to development is just the wrong way to go about it. Have it optional, have it default to safe.

If they are smart enough to FIND the option to change locomotion to free, they are smart enough to know when/how they should be using it. It doesn't take a genius to figure out .. christ! I know people are stupid, but they're not THAT stupid.
    That's disregarding the point that I made, about the fact that you can't have both in lots of games mechanics, without changing the entire dynamics of it. A bulk of games simply cannot work with both locomotion, without major issues, like game breaking ones. It's all up to the type of game the devs are making and if that type of game allows both motions without making one have an advantage over the other. It also depends on how deeply the devs have implemented the teleport into the gameplay. This is especially true for multiplayer games, and games that heavily use leaderboards, free locomotion users would likely need to be completely separate from teleport users. Things would obviously be simpler if less people were hit by the sickness, it seems like almost half of the user-base is hit hard by nausea in most free locomotion games. If the entire solution was everyone simply make free locomotion with teleport always as an option, don't you think just about every dev would've made it so?