cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Gear VR] Start-up spinner ring is no longer showing up

motorsep
Rising Star
Still using 4.14.3 and after several recent updates to Oculus Home / Activities, I noticed that the spinning ring is no longer showing up when starting my Gear VR app.

It's certainly not the engine, since it was working fine pre-GDC and ring would always show up as soon as I launched my app and plugged phone into Gear VR.

Do I need to report this using bug report form ?
10 REPLIES 10

motorsep
Rising Star
I reported this bug using submission form and got responds from the support team. However, I don't have any way to follow up on this issue.

Can someone please pass this message to them?

I tested UE 4.15.1 today and start up ring is gone too.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same for me - spinner gone in 4.15 using the latest Oculus branch

iristavr
Explorer
Can we have some guidance on how this will affect app approval? The requirement for a head-tracked loading animation was fulfilled by this previously.

motorsep
Rising Star
I am almost positive that Oculus updates broke this feature, since UE 4.14.3 worked fine before these recent updates.

If I haven't updated the engine, how could it be engine's bug?! Maybe something changed in the Oculus software and Mobile SDK 1.0.3 is no longer compatible with those changes, regarding the startup spinner ?

Norman3D
Expert Protege

iristavr said:

Can we have some guidance on how this will affect app approval? The requirement for a head-tracked loading animation was fulfilled by this previously.

I too am worried about how this affects the app approval process!

rpalandri
Expert Protege
Bug is found and should roll out in a VRDriver update on 4/11 without you needing to change anything in the engine. Thanks for the feedback 🙂

(if we miss the 4/11 deadline it'll be one or two weeks after that 🙂 )

rpalandri
Expert Protege
I wanted to mention by the way that the Splash screen itself was and is still working, the issue was with the loading arrow texture.

You can use either [Oculus.Splash.Settings] in DefaultEngine.ini or the blueprint AddLoadingSplashScreen to customize your splash screen's texture, which will solve this issue too and add a little customization to your app!

(I am very much aware I should have samples for this)

motorsep
Rising Star
Yep, having samples handy wouldn't hurt! 🙂

and thanks for fixing this issue !!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's the alternative using your own splash screen / icon showing how to implement the DefaultEngine.ini solution (better than using blueprints since it shows up sooner then 😉 😞

https://forums.oculus.com/developer/discussion/51174/is-it-possible-to-configure-a-gearvr-splash-scr...