cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any news on installation on different drives?

Anonymous
Not applicable
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/601kwc/hey_oculus_im_now_having_to_buying_titles_on/

It's crazy that, a year after launch, we still aren't able to choose which drive to install a game on. Presumably Oculus knows how much space VR games tend to take up! Any news on what the blockers are here would be greatly appreciated by the community I'm sure.
83 REPLIES 83

Anonymous
Not applicable
I sure would appreciate it and would so like the choice of where to install my games purchased through Oculus Home.

Bagnet
Expert Protege
Make a folder on your storage drive called Rift Games. From the oculus folder copy the entire software directory to it then delete the original. Then bring up an administrator cmd window (type cmd in search then right click on cmd at the top and run as administrator) and type - mklink /J "C:\program files\Oculus\Software" "D:\Rift Games\Software" (or change to your chosen path) this makes a simlink software folder in the original location that links to the new store for your games. I did this a few months ago and it works seamlessly. all games will automatically install to the new location. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
^^thanks for the info, but I'd actually rather Oculus just implement this incredibly basic feature for their platform.

Bagnet
Expert Protege
no problem. its a 5 minute fix though and it has no ill effects. you're more than welcome to wait for them if you want but i gave up

Trufflepig
Explorer
Not entirely no ill effects. When the drive that the empty folder is on is full, I am unable to download new titles from the store. I get a selected hard drive is full error. 

Bagnet
Expert Protege
well yes. its a simulated junction link. The idea is that you don't fill up the drive. its still going to report the size of the drive the simlink is on as it has no idea that its on another one. .hence the reason it works. I had 10 gig left and 3 or 4 oculus games installed so i moved it with this method. that gave me 40 gig free on the drive and its now running like clockwork with everything installing to my storage drive. If the drive is full then all sorts of performance issues will arise.. you should always try to keep 20% free for optimum usage regardless of oculus software

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer
Yeah I am disappointed Oculus has not implemented this fairly basic feature yet. I prefer to buy VR games on Steam because of this issue.

cybereality
Grand Champion
We do have this feature, and it is enabled by reinstalling the setup.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer
I mean on a per-game basis, with steam you can decide where to install every new game and you can move games between drives.