cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Elite Dangerous

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm doing generally OK but could use some advice on a few things, some Rift-specific, some not:

1.  How do you all use the Galactic Map with the HMD?  I can't figure out how you're supposed to select destinations from the map.  I can choose a destination from the Transactions screen when looking at a Mission Description but it seems like I should be able to do it from the map itself.  I can scroll the map sideways, and zoom in and out but haven't found any way to move it up and down.  While moving it, what seems like random selections will become available at time and I can select those but see no way to explicitly aim at one.  Is that just not possible with the HMD?

2.  I'm currently using a Saitek X52 I have had for years.  It's set to defaults in its profile and I'm using the X52 setup within the game.  Anything better anyone recommends - different profile, newer HOTAS, etc?  I'm finding a distinct lack of buttons to be a bother.

3.  I notice a Controls option to Use Chaff Launcher.  Does that mean if I bind a button to that it is no longer necessary to have it in a fire group bound to the primary or secondary trigger.

4.  What is Headlook?  Do I care about it with the Rift?

5.  I started in Solo mode.  Does that lock me into that mode for this Commander or can I change to Open mode at will?

Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

vannagirl
Consultant
Elite is awesome 🙂

you can set map up on a normal controller and mouse will also work to an extent also but controller is the way if you lack hotas control

i am unsure of this hotas but my cheap thrustmaster t flight has a button to press that then makes all the buttons shifted and new again so i have double the buttons basically.

However if you are serious of elite get voice attack

http://voiceattack.com/

and then consider a voice pack

http://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/

it clears up so many commands, makes it so much more immersive to play as you are speaking to what feels a living ship also and stops you feeling so loco having conversations with you self 😛 i can say shields, power chaff it does them for me ect

headlock? is this for srv, is it is then yes or you feel sick on the planet surface other then this no i have never touched this and my setup is fine

no you can jump to any mode anytime, open is pvp basically, solo ofc with you only then private groups you can create or join
the elite forum has many, mobius is the largest we have almost 20k commanders and are pve based

enjoy, elite rocks
also this thread

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/48523/elite-dangerous-friends-lists-favorite-loadouts...

❤️
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

kojack
MVP
MVP
The galaxy map is one of the less well developed parts of Elite in VR.
I have it set up as follows on my HOTAS Warthog:
- main stick x and y: pan around the map
- x and y slew control: pitch and yaw
- china hat forward / back: zoom
- coolie hat: pan up and down
- cms hat: gui select and move
- mic hat forward/back: next/previous gui tab

That lets me do most of it purely in VR, except of course typing system names.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys.  Kojack, do you set the controls up within Elite or using a Thrustmaster-provided tool?  I'd wanted to double-map some of the Saitek keys but it didn't seem like Elite would let me.

Thanks for the tip on Voice Attack vannagirl.  I will definitely check that out.

I am discovering that I really should have learned to touch type those many years ago in High School, but boys just didn't do that back then 🙂

kojack
MVP
MVP
I set everything up within Elite, I don't touch the warthog's own software (beyond installing it).
I have some doubled up controls, I set the CMS hat to move and select in GUIs and power management when flying.
I also have one button (master mode button) set up as a shift key, to change the meaning of other keys.

(Here's the names of the warthog's controls that I've been using above)
v9kh7ycjjgjk.giftbgn6cggdc21.gif

Elite Dangerous 2.3 introduces 2 new fire buttons (for a total of 4). I currently have both the slew control push button and the throttle pinky switch as secondary fire. Why a switch for fire as well as a button? Because it's easier to use discovery scanners and kill warrant scanners. During combat, I leave the pinky switch activated, everybody I target gets automatically scanned for warrants. Once 2.3 is out I'll use the trigger for primary fire, slew for secondary, weapon release for 3rd and pinky switch for 4th.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Bloodlet
Rising Star
I use an X52 to play Elite.

I wasn't happy with the default set up so altered a few controls.
There is a mode changer dial on the top right of the stick giving you effectively three times the amount of buttons.

I have never used the mode changer though as I have Voiceattack with the A.S.T.R.A -HSC voice pack.
Which is so awesome I'd probably still use it whatever set up I had.

Just to show you what's possible to do with Astra:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiW7zlLfyQo

Chazmeister
Rising Star

kojack said:

Elite Dangerous 2.3 introduces 2 new fire buttons (for a total of 4). I currently have both the slew control push button and the throttle pinky switch as secondary fire. Why a switch for fire as well as a button? Because it's easier to use discovery scanners and kill warrant scanners. During combat, I leave the pinky switch activated, everybody I target gets automatically scanned for warrants. Once 2.3 is out I'll use the trigger for primary fire, slew for secondary, weapon release for 3rd and pinky switch for 4th.

What are the two extra fire buttons for? Is that just for when you are a gunner in multicrew or across the board?

Just that it's a bit of an ask, getting people to find two extra fire buttons on their sticks etc. Not so bad if it's just for gunnery as presumably that will be a separate scheme and won't require any of the flight controls. Haven't bothered to try the beta, I'm just going to wait for it to drop properly.

kojack
MVP
MVP
There's a lot of stuff that can be put into fire groups, but only two buttons can be assigned to them. If you want to use the kill warrant scanner, then that takes up a fire button. But I might want kill warrant scanner and several different gun types at once without cycling weapon groups. It's just extra flexibility, it's not required.

I haven't tried beta either, just read about it.

kevink808
Superstar
This game looks really cool, but appears to be a steep learning curve.  I don't get longer than an hour or so on a rare night to play something, so can't really get into this.  Maybe when my kids go to college in 15 years. 😉
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Elite is one of the most complicated games I've ever played.

You'll need to use the Frontier forums and YouTube videos to have any hope

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php/30-Dangerous-Discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs4h3yg481w
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2