/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Disney Movies VR

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 6,440 Power Poster
edited March 21 in Games and Apps
Today I downloaded this new Free Experience:
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1437254706307136/

So far I have only gone through the Star Wars section. I'm looking forward to the Marvel update, and soon I will go through the Disney-specific experiences.

If you haven't tried this yet, while the main menu screen is pretty awesome, the actual experiences themselves are simply 360 films, where the quality and scale may be less-than-desirable on a Rift. I think this type of experience is best for Mobile-VR.

What I did find rather fantastic was the behind-the-scenes footage of Rogue One. I think the App is worth the download just for that brief glimpse of being on a Star Wars film set.

But I decided to make this thread after going through the "Spy" experience, because even though the video quality (as experienced on the Rift) wasn't that great, I did love the way the Player is able to "click" to move on to the next film scene. A very simplistic concept, however, I immediately began to think of all the possibilities for adventure/puzzle games that center on interactive film.

I'm someone who began PC gaming in the early 90's, and "interactive movie" games were all the rage for awhile:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_interactive_movies

My first introduction to this genre was with: Dracula Unleashed

But there are far more popular cult classic titles such as:
Gabriel Knight (the Beast Within), Phatasmorgia, and The 11th Hour

And if you notice the timeline on the Wikipedia link I provided above, you can see that in the 90's the number of these games released was much, much larger than the number released post-2000. However, now with Virtual Reality there is a part of me hoping that this gaming genre can make a comeback. They were always a personal favorite (like that one shirt, pair of pants, or shoes you keep in the back of the closet because you refuse to throw it away); and I really look forward to VR Interactive Movie games becoming a valued edition to my VR Library.

If done correctly they can have truly epic potential for multiple genres, and give rise to a new form of story-telling and filming.

Unbanned but never Unbaned.

Comments

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,008 Poster of the Week
    So is this one of those 360 video apps where the quality seems to differ wildly from one person to the next (like that Obama in the National Park one from a while back)   or is it just low quality to begin with?

Guess it wouldn't hurt to download and check out, being free and all.
  • FlukeFluke Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    Just in case people are put off by the 360 videos (which aren't that great imo), two of the Disney experiences are actually in real-time (The Jungle Book one with Kaa, and the Beauty and the Beast one with Lumiere).
    In-VR Gaming Convention: http://queue.vip/8nNttrc
  • AndrewJ71AndrewJ71 Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    So, I assume these are all streaming experiences (though maybe not the ones Fluke mentions)? If so, I'll pass until I get better internet, hopefully about one month from now.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 6,440 Power Poster
    You can download the films locally instead of streaming. 

• whoa182whoa182 Posts: 355
    Trinity
    The Disney videos are better on this app. :)
    CPU: i5-4690K 4.50 GHZ RAM: 8.00 GB Corsair Vengence GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 HDD: 2TB MONITOR: Samsung U28D590 27" 4K Res
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 2,206 Valuable Player
    edited March 21
    This has been around for ages since last May last year as I remember letting my son watch the scenes. The Jungle Book Snake is good, the menu is excellent but the 360 videos are low quality poop even though there are options to download or stream. At least there was in the early build. Maybe they improved it since then?

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 6,440 Power Poster
    @Shadowmask72 you just sent me to an HTC Vive link. How dare you, sir!

Clearly I'm talking about the Oculus Rift version, which just hit the App store this week.

I'm not sure how much has improved, but I wouldn't call in sick to work for this one. The main point of my post was a discussion on nostalgia for interactive movie games.

• RaradinRaradin Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Note the Beauty and the Beast one is VR with touch enabled. It even has some achievements to obtain, so it is almost a little mini game.
  • mosiffmosiff Posts: 54 Poster of the Week
    I found the "Trust me" (the one with the snake from jungle book) interesting. Right before the end I felt very weird.
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 781 Poster of the Week
    As the father of a 4 year old boy, I have been watching non-stop Disney movies and other G-rated fare for four years straight, repeatedly, with no relief in sight.  It haunts me in my dreams.  I want to escape reality in VR for a brief respite, not find another version of hell.  (I know the other parents here feel my pain.)
    Currently playing: Witcher 3 & DOOM | Gear: Liquid cooled MSI Z170A PC Mate | Intel i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 SDRAM 3000 Mhz | GeForce GTX 1080, Acer Predator XB241H G-Sync, Rift/Touch/3 cams.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 541
    Trinity
    kevink808 said:
    As the father of a 4 year old boy, I have been watching non-stop Disney movies and other G-rated fare for four years straight, repeatedly, with no relief in sight.  It haunts me in my dreams.  I want to escape reality in VR for a brief respite, not find another version of hell.  (I know the other parents here feel my pain.)

LOL, it has been a LOT of years ago but I can certainly relate!
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit