cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Fail, Windows 10. Oculus used to work...

icrosson
Explorer
Going through a nightmare with email support lasting weeks.  I've read every thread here I could, but here is the fast "whats up". Unit worked fine, then next day no video. Support thought the headset died, so sent me a new one. Same issue. Uninstalled Oculus and now can't install. Here is the log and below is where I believe the problem lies.

[Debug] [3/24/2017 2:27:21 PM] Install 'Dawn.Setup.CreateRegistryKeysStep' succeeded.
[Error] [3/24/2017 2:27:21 PM] Uncaught exception!
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Dawn.Setup.SetEnvironmentVariablesStep.UpdatePath(Boolean add)
   at Dawn.Setup.SetEnvironmentVariablesStep.InstallImpl()
   at Dawn.Mixins.SafeCallMixin(Func`1 func, String title, String caller)
[Debug] [3/24/2017 2:27:21 PM] Install 'Dawn.Setup.SetEnvironmentVariablesStep' failed.
[Warning] [3/24/2017 2:27:21 PM] Rolling back installation.
[Error] [3/24/2017 2:27:21 PM] Uncaught exception!
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
17 REPLIES 17

FajuFace
Honored Guest
I have exactly the same problem, install fails every time, with the same log error

icrosson
Explorer
I'm a Systems administrator for last 10 years, and I was pretty stumped.  Support also was zero help in regards to telling me what my log meant.  But I took my last ditch effort and reset the PC to factory defaults using windows 10.  That resolved all my issues, I can now install and play games.

mobilemclintic
Honored Guest
Same issue here.  Installed Oculus and told it to use a different drive for applications (G:).  Queued up some demos and free packages and purchased the boxing game.  Came back to nothing installing only to find out C: was full.  Tried to move the software using VR Backupper and the store wouldn't work, so I tried to reinstall.  Fails at Dawn.Setup.SetEnvironmentVariablesStep each time.  Went through the event viewer and found issues with DCOM permissions.  Changed each one that popped up.  Still fails.  This isn't a machine that is solely used with Oculus, so I have Origin, Uplay and Steam all setup using a separate drive.  I am going to hate having to reinstall Windows just to get another shot and THEN reconfiguring the gaming services, and having to trigger an install on each and every Steam game i have installed from the last few years.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh NO NO!  I am having the same problem.  I really would rather not reset my machine to factory (I'll have to look up if it can be done without a physical  Win10 CD).

Anyone ever get this fixed.  My Oculus is brand new and I'd hate to have to return it

BurtLington
Honored Guest
I'm now getting this issue after trying to move my install directory and failing. Figured I would just have to reinstall Oculus from scratch and now I'm unable to install it at all. I've tried completely clearing my registry of anything Oculus related, as well as uninstalling Microsoft Visual Redistributable 2015. No luck. 

fr33r4ng3r
Honored Guest
I've just encountered the same issue.  I was having a different issue and figured uninstall and reinstall would solve the problem.  Now I can't install!  "Install 'Dawn.Setup.SetEnvironmentVariablesStep' failed." with a "System.NullReferenceException".

Excal301
Honored Guest
Same issue for me. Install 'Dawn.Setup.SetEnvironmentVariablesStep' failed

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same issue for me. Install 'Dawn.Setup.SetEnvironmentVariablesStep' failed

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Are you lot all up to date with windows update ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.