/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

3+ Sensor Rift Users: Where Did You Set Up The Sensors?

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 21,372 Oculus Staff
edited March 25 in General
For users who set up 3 or more sensors: where did you set up the sensors, and what unique challenges you have run into?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

3+ Sensor Rift Users: Where Did You Set Up The Sensors? 247 votes

Living Room
37%
FlukealexpezYbalridEmnasutmaxx11111js2ktchamberDeadlyJoezylickForsaikenindo583YoirglKiennySpyrdeSyndroidPrimalCyclistvinwijDarkbaneRorschachPhoenixHotMetal 92 votes
Bedroom
19%
cyberealityNikorasuNibresoern91lovethishelpslTalon1DarkNuclearkorgen63samcoolrunnerThugLeviateinnNR75tjf81GroovyMonsterleo1954auwhoa182bjornbDeath_pwnKillCard 48 votes
Den/Entertainment/Utility Room
33%
ChargePhaedrusMadcow199bxrdjMadarasImeleonjoppertcmbrunsAndersNolbergerthatdude90210bigmike20vtesteemtwisteklabsHovmandpaulshortlandThotphilterinoscottevilMikeMuckthomaslai 83 votes
Other
9%
VetkingplauringpinstructorINOYSJokergod2000elbofforKianoniLordQuakedavejohnblackTadinHjalmkazRiumsofttouchphStorhanenA.Forcekevink808dcohen503NickOh73PixlmechStudiossky19940917 24 votes

Comments

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,043 Valuable Player
    Other
    it is the second reception room for my home and did have a dining table in it, this is now removed and the space is my VR space (woot woot)
    I used to run 4 sensors, then the software "matured" to 1.10 and above and i've been trouble shooting the shenanigans ever since :/
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • XsjadiaXsjadia Posts: 325
    Nexus 6
    Living Room
    Basement living room. Composite wood floors, not too shiny. Not shiny paint on walls. Open space. Window shutters closed during play sessions.

Unique Challenges?
    -Trying to find high places to put my sensors for better coverage, without having to drill into the walls.
    -Constant questioning as to whether my house is sinking into the ground, leaving the floor not level (only since getting the Rift! :smiley: )
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    GTX 1080
    16 GB RAM @ 3200 Mhz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    3-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • Jokergod2000Jokergod2000 Posts: 287
    Nexus 6
    Other
    I just set it up in the computer room. Could use a bit more space. It's just under the minimum Vive play space. The main issue is the desk blocks the floor. One of my sensors is up in the air to allow me to touch the floor.
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,230 Valuable Player
    Living Room
    I have mine setup in the living room by my desk, i normally just have two sensors on my desk with the normal front facing setup and then only bring out the third sensor if i need too since it's in an awkward place.

Good thing I made an accurate 3D plan of my living room, finally have a chance to show it off  :D  

My unique challenges are all mostly my own space problems really.
    - I put my third sensor on the table behind me, but I can't push it too far back since the stairs blocks the top view, and I can't open the door into the living room since it will then block the third sensor.
    - Other problem is since my space isn't very big, I can't use the most of the space since the sensors are all on the edges of the desk so I can reach down on the floor(see the top image, the left sensor.) and I can't get so close to the sensors but that's probably for the best so I don't punch my monitor like I see lots of people do :D

None of those are big problems for me and don't feel like it ever takes away from my VR gaming! :)
  • ThugThug Posts: 392
    Trinity
    Bedroom
    Mine is in the smallest bedroom. Just about large enough for the min spec and have table and units to contend with. 
    Front sensors on poles about 2mtr high, rear to the right on a book case about 4' high. 
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k @3.30GHz,
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX1080,
    RAM: 16GB DDR5,
    Viewed on: Oculus Rift or 28" Dell monitor (x2),
    Hard Drive: 240GB OCZ SSD (games), 128GB Samsung SSD (OS), 64GB SSD (3d),
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 781 Poster of the Week
    edited March 26
    Other
    Home office. No challenges and great tracking since initial setup with 3 sensors.  The only time I have problems is when I try and install a 4th sensor which is now in my closet gathering dust.  But I have no internal/external USB card and I know it's probably bandwidth limitations from my motherboard.

Currently playing: Witcher 3 & DOOM | Gear: Liquid cooled MSI Z170A PC Mate | Intel i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 SDRAM 3000 Mhz | GeForce GTX 1080, Acer Predator XB241H G-Sync, Rift/Touch/3 cams.
  • PhilSurteesPhilSurtees Posts: 36
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Bedroom
    My house has a small bedroom (meant for toddlers, I guess) and I use that. I had to clear some stuff out and I get the optimum rating when I set Guardian
  • mosiffmosiff Posts: 54 Poster of the Week
    Living Room
    I've setup mine in living room because the bed room doesn't have enough space for it. I change my sensors many times until I find the best setup. The biggest challenge though was convincing my wife make the setup in living room :D.
  • indo583indo583 Posts: 21
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Living Room
    I mounted my sensors on the ceiling, I put 2 sensors in the 2 front corners and 1 behind me. My computer is in the front of the room, so the biggest challenge is cable managment with the cord from the rear sensor. It had to be really long, which meant it needed to be powered as well, so there are 2 cords to deal with. Right now the cords are just tacked up with staples to keep them off the floor, but I'm thinking of covering them with crown molding.
  • TickTockTickTock Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    Man cave.  Challenges:
    • Could not mount the sensors in the ceiling less than 12' apart or they would cast shadows on the movie screen when watching movies (too much hassle to take down)
    • "Desk" is in the back away from the room-scale space so I actually have to use two setups - one with 3 cameras on the ceiling for room scale and another single camera on the desk for sit-down games (which I swap using batch files).
  • HankTVHankTV Posts: 14
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Living Room
    Got my 4 sensors in the living room. 2 standing left and right by the TV the other 2 are in the oposite corners standing on table and desk.
    Works perfect.
  • ElpocElpoc Posts: 21
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited March 27
    Bedroom
    3 sensors in bedroom, playspace is the half of the room not occupied by bed & cabinets! Main physical challenge was finding ways to mount the third sensor in the middle of the room. Ended up using an adhesive ceiling mount for the 3rd ('behind') sensor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B82MY94/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    which is not at all ideal as the head angle doesn't adjust enough to have the camera be able to look directly vertically down.
    Generally the challenge is just we need an easier way to mount the things high up. Something like these contractor poles (I know a few people who use them) but preferably less terrible-looking! http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=13425&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=CjwKEAjw8OLGBRCklJalqKHzjQ0SJACP4BHrZw0GvdSFj6n86amRy2GCwZViZ3AjklWJlI_Ik_--dBoC4QLw_wcB
  • bgranorffbgranorff Posts: 22
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Four sensors. Issues have been with tracking in general. Left hand in games starts to lose tracking or simply be non responsive/blink, etc. Pretty much gave up on room scale even with 3 trackers. 

• PseudoSoulPseudoSoul Posts: 12
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    bgranorff said:
    Four sensors. Issues have been with tracking in general. Left hand in games starts to lose tracking or simply be non responsive/blink, etc. Pretty much gave up on room scale even with 3 trackers. 

That's a shame man. I had hell myself but when I got it, man it's good shiz!
    Oculus CV1 Touch - 3 Sensor
    Mobo - Asrock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
    CPU - Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
    GPU - GTX 1080 Ti 2,050/11,800
    RAM - Hyper X 16gb DDR3 2133
    SSD1 - Corsair SATA-3 & PNY SATA-3
  • YbalridYbalrid Posts: 243
    Art3mis
    Living Room
    Fixed ont the walls at the corners of the room with 3D printed mounts and 3M command strips. Still did not get around to manage the wires cleanly ^^"
    CV1+Touch; Running on GTX980 - 4770K - 32GB DDR3

I'm writing a C++ open-sourcre game engine for the Rift http://annwvyn.org/ - https://github.com/Ybalrid/Annwvyn
    For now it's only used for my student projects at my engineering school http://en.esiea.fr/
  • Paul_BlythePaul_Blythe Posts: 325
    Trinity
    My set-up is in the spare bedroom, a.k.a. the computer room... One is mounted on a spare camera tripod, the other two sat on bookcase shelves... Lucky enough to have a 2m x 2.5m area for 360°. Everything is set so it can be used when at the desk, the race rig, or doing a standing experience, all without having to move the sensors.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 615
    Trinity
    Living Room
    Normally I have just two cameras connected to my PC in my workshop, where i work in Medium and play games that don't require room scale.  If I want to do any room scale stuff, I take the cameras and Rift out to the living room, where I have a third Rift camera and our Vive permanently set up.

Though, I'm thinking about buying another pair of cameras so I can have a permanent setup in my workshop.
  • eightbitTacoeightbitTaco Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    I had my 4 sensors jankily placed around the room while waiting for our appointment to have new carpet installed.

After the install, I wall mounted all sensors using 4 of these: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1772848

I ended up having to use a passive USB 2.0 extension in conjunction with the included active extension cable for the sensor farthest away from the PC. Initially I did have trouble with the setup when calibrating it, but adjusting the sensors a bit solved that for me. 

I experience zero issues with tracking now that it's all mounted, cables managed, and sensors calibrated. This now lets me experience all titles I've tried on SteamVR flawlessly. Best of both worlds!  ;)
    CPU: i7 7700K, GPU: EVGA SC GTX 1070, Mobo: MSI Z270M Mortar, USB: Mobo + Inatec 4 Port Expansion Card, VR: CV1 + Touch + 2 Extra Sensors | Steam Origin Uplay Twitter: eightbitJuan
  • MinituMinitu Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 29
    I guess I should have voted bedroom but its my entertainment/comp room. But this in fact its the smallest one of a 3 bedroom flat. Maybe its 2x3m but as I need a table for my comp and my library on the side, the usable space its just 1,5m wide and 2m long. This also requieres to translate chairs outside of room to the corridor to play roomscale. :/

2 sensors at front separated 1m. and one sensor rear but near a corner. In games like RR I keep bumping into walls, and my guardian is annoyingly on most time. I only can sustain 2 USB3.0 sensors, so I decided to use 3.0 for rear sensor and the opposed front sensor. The other front sensor runs on USB2.0 and I see it as a backup for the front facing experiences. That means the extension cable included with 3rd sensor has to be replaced with an active 5m USB3.0.

Still waiting for a hdmi+usb3.0 active extension mainly for the added role of "breakout box" because I fear getting tangled and physically damage my comp conectors.

I think its time to get a divorce as most likely solution. Next place will be chosen with enough space as a must. :*

Soon upgrading to Ryzen
  • VRoaaarVRoaaar Posts: 45
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Can we please get setup profiles so we can easily switch between 2 and 3 sensors? I have 2 sensors installed permanently, but the third one can only be used temporarily because of the cable running through the room. I only connect the third sensor when I need room scale. But then I need to go through the setup process again...
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,043 Valuable Player
    Other

I made an app to do that for ya.

Search oculus home multitool ;)

This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • NibreNibre Posts: 41 Poster of the Week
    Bedroom
    I have 3 sensors, 2 of which are attached upside-down to the bottom of my Vive Basestations (so up high, opposite from each other) and the 3rd one in another corner, standard and sitting on a shelf. 
  • VetkinVetkin Posts: 102
    Hiro Protagonist
    Other
    I set mine up in my home office. Two cameras are on either side of my monitor and the third is on the far right end of my corner desk. My biggest challenge was (and still is) how to optimally get a camera behind me without having USB cables stretched across the floor. Tracking with my current setup has worked fine for games like robo recall, so I haven't felt the need to mess with it much.
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 640
    Trinity
    I dedicated a room in my apt to the game/VR room.  the only thing in here is a desk and pc/VR setup.  and a chair.  Nothing else.  the only issue imgetting is tracking now and then and the sensors telling me tracking is bad
  • CrowaustCrowaust Posts: 21
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited April 2
    Bedroom
    Biggest issue for me has been my PC having weird random restart issues of my USB3 controllers, or at least I think that's what is happening, cause my racing wheel does a restart at the same time, still haven't narrowed it down.

Edit just came across and issue that I thought had been fixed in a previous update, not sure if it is related to the number of sensors though, where the system suddenly decides that my height is double what it should be, like the view looks like my feet are where my head would normally be in home and then everything that I launch after that.
    Feature request, reset height when resetting view or have it set as a new option in the menu.
  • gplauringplaurin Posts: 14
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited April 1
    Other
    Not finished basement, walls are reflective insulation but does not seems to be a problem for tracking. Sensors are 2 in the front about 10 feet apart and 6 feet in the air. The one in the back is in the middle of the room, about 7 feet in the air facing downward for good ground tracking. Best tracking I could achieve!
  • peterpiperpeterpiper Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Living Room
    I have a 3 sensor setup in my living room. Two usb3 facing forward above my desk about 4 feet apart and one usb2 (plugged into a usb3 port) with included extension cable diagonally 14ft across from the others. All are set about 5' high facing slightly downward.  I'm signed into the oculus beta and my tracking has been almost perfect with 7ft x 8ft roomscale. Oh and using 3ft extensions for headset HDMI and USB.

• kzintzikzintzi Posts: 558
    Neo
    Crowaust said:

Feature request, reset height when resetting view or have it set as a new option in the menu.
    the option is there in Devices - "Reset Height" I think.. it brings up the funk scanning area where you go into VR to finish your setup after defining the guardian borders.
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • FlakMagnetFlakMagnet Posts: 88
    Hiro Protagonist
    Bedroom
    I have a 3 sensor setup in a bedroom that's been turned into an office. There are two desks (mine and one for my wife), a printer/scanner table and other small furnature.

This is the largest area I can sensibly use without having to move my PC every time I want to use my Rift.

I can just about get an 'Optimal' setup in the space I've got between the two desks. It's about 2.5x1.5 meters, but I have to move chairs out of the room to make that whole space available. I've got two sensors about 1.5 meters apart on the long side of the room, and the third in a corner behind me. All sensors are at ceiling height.