cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus for Gear VR: Show hidden apps. Solution? Pretend Oculus (Note 4 is "Note 5", "Note 6"...?)

Tobias_Claren
Honored Guest
Hello.

I'm angry.
Samsung has designed the note 4 with malicious intent.
It should not fit into the Gear VR higher than version 320. You should buy a Note 5 or higher.
But it fits perfectly into the current 323. Necessary are only tiny modifications with a Dremel.

But unfortunately the Oculus app does not display all apps.
For example, I do not find "AltSpaceVR", or "VISO Places" (and also "Samsung VR")!
This is vicious!

The problem is that not all apps are displayed, it is also a problem in Google Play Store. But there are solutions for this.

Is there a way to display all apps for Oculus for Gear VR?
A "crack"? A manipulated Oculus app? An alternative app store that inserts the apps into Oculus?
Can I Oculus "pretend" another ID of the phone? Note 5, Note 6 or Note 7?
Or a completely different possibility?
2 REPLIES 2

drash
Heroic Explorer
The problem is that not all apps are displayed

As far as I know, this is up to the individual developers of those apps, who made a judgment call as to whether they can support the oldest device in the Gear VR lineup.   Personally as a developer, I love the Note 4 as that's "where it all started", but I find it can be very sensitive with regard to texture memory usage compared to the newer devices.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

cybereality
Grand Champion
The reason some apps may work on only some phones is purely technical. Each phone may have different components, and a game built to run (let's say) on an S7 may not work well on an S6. It is up to developers which devices they wish to support. Some may spend time to optimize for older phones but some may not. Hope that makes sense,
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV