/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Please add SEARCH function to Experience Shop

mdsawyermdmdsawyermd Posts: 1
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
edited April 16 in General
There are a lot of apps now to not have a search function for titles I want to buy.  I spent some time looking in vain for something I wanted to buy last night and left because I was busy doing other things. It's not a lost sale, because I want the app and will find it eventually, but I find it a little annoying that something so basic is missing from the store.

This is especially important since "experiences" are divided up into categories and you sometimes have to guess when an exp could be in more than one. "Touch" and "Games" are not mutually exclusive, for instance.

Comments

• inovatorinovator Posts: 1,040
    3Jane
    I agree. It's a little bit lazy for oculus not to have a search function.
  • MorphioMorphio Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Yup, absolutely agree. Also, a filter function would great.
  • HerrDracheHerrDrache Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Or at least a "sort alphabetically" option - or SOMETHING that makes sense
  • jasepulvedajasepulveda Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    How, in dear dogs name, they have NOT implemented a search function?!?!
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 2,302
    Project 2501
    oculus store is a beautiful front end in VR.
    as a store front tho.... come on guys, its bordering on "barely functional".

i know at least 2 folk who bought stuff on steam because they thought it was not on oculus store (and it was!)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • quantum7quantum7 Posts: 27
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Many times I also go to Steam because I cannot find things on the Oculus website.  PLEASE for the love of God, give us a SEARCH link. 
  • ZunhsZunhs Posts: 3
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,135 Poster of the Week
    This thread seems a bit out-of-date to be resurrecting, don't you think?

the Oculus desktop interface has a search bar at the top, and in the VR interface you can search for any title by having the voice command feature turned on and saying  "Hey Oculus, Find ___".

Just make sure to speak in your clearest public-speaking / robot / comedian's-impression-of-an-extremely-white-guy voice so it understands you. :tongue:

The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 2,302
    Project 2501
    That is only ok if you know what you are looking for.

How would you search for single player 3rd person adventure games for instance?

Ie dont know the name, just know the type of game i want to browse?
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    That is only ok if you know what you are looking for.

How would you search for single player 3rd person adventure games for instance?

Ie dont know the name, just know the type of game i want to browse?
    I mean.. that's how "search functions" work.   You really have to know the name of what you're looking for.  This is especially true on an uncurated landfill like Steam, where your chances of finding any halfway-decent game through random browsing are exceedingly unlikely. 

What you are asking for is "more specific categories" or "searchable genre tags" or something like that (and the latter become immediately useless if they are community assigned, because every single app will end up with fifty different tags on it with only half of them being accurate or specific enough to help).
    The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
  • MervinRaeMervinRae Posts: 36
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited July 1
    @CrashFu

You are defending a store with no features. So you have an inApp search but you have no search on the Website. You can not read reviews on the website nor can you write them nor do you have categories that make sense nor can you sort for newest releases or special categories. That is a very sad thing - and you are very courageous definding it (more like fanboys do, sorry for saying so but it is not objektive to say it is all good because there is a search inside the app). (Btw. as discussed a few days ago with cybereality you can also sort for new releases inApp under games if you click on the categorie - just that it does not work and even scrolling down inside that categorie is a pain as the game-covers do load piece by piece). There is nothing else to say other that the Oculus Store needs improvment to get the basics a shop should have. But I am confident that the Oculus Store will get this as it is just a must, it is so fundamental, so basic.

p.s.: I too use google to search something in the Oculus Store, which is just absurd. And I can not look/search for stuff I don`t know.. And, I do look for games and stuff on my couch with my ultrabook, not on the desk with my PC. OR in the bus with my smartphone, where I want to pass some time, some probably use a tablet - all of these unusable on the website. And the Oculus App is also not that comfortable, when I "have" to use it on my PC.

p.p.s.: and refunds like on steam would be nearby mandatory too. I do not dare to buy apps/games just so anymore.. Today I had a look on a game on steam, then refunded it, tried the competitor, like it more, kept it. Can not do that on the Oculus Store..

And, we need to discuss that so the Oculus Staff sees that we see what is missing, that we are complaining, that it is not good as it is, and so they know what needs to get improved.

Why is it so important for you to be able to google Oculus games and write reviews on the website?  When is that ever necessary?  If you can't even be bothered to open oculus home long enough to buy a game or write a review, you must not want it that badly.

And wow, I remember the days when consumers would actually be expected to research shit before they buy it, taking like five minutes to figure out whether they'll like a game ahead of time, instead of buying everything blindly and demanding refunds if the first hour of play doesn't impress them.  I also remember the days when gamers would play further than a game's tutorial before giving up on it.  I mean, shit, a lot of good games take HOURS before they even start getting good..

Here lies the PC Gaming Industry, murdered slowly by Valve and their eagerness to give spoiled man-children everything they ask for.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited July 2
    Deleted, see below, wanted to quote the answer from CrashFu
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited July 2
    CrashFu said:
    Why is it so important for you to be able to google Oculus games and write reviews on the website?  When is that ever necessary?  If you can't even be bothered to open oculus home long enough to buy a game or write a review, you must not want it that badly.

And wow, I remember the days when consumers would actually be expected to research shit before they buy it, taking like five minutes to figure out whether they'll like a game ahead of time, instead of buying everything blindly and demanding refunds if the first hour of play doesn't impress them.  I also remember the days when gamers would play further than a game's tutorial before giving up on it.  I mean, shit, a lot of good games take HOURS before they even start getting good..

Here lies the PC Gaming Industry, murdered slowly by Valve and their eagerness to give spoiled man-children everything they ask for.

@CrashFu
    Now you are not serious.. "Most" people do use Laptops and Smartphones and Tablets. Most people do not only use their Desktop PC especially not for browsing. But I do not think that will get through to you with such an answer. Really Wow!!

And for the refund feature, I said "nearby" mandatory as I do understand the difficulties that do come with it. But still, it is not that easy to judge VR Games without seeing them in VR. And not only Steam also Google Playshop offers Refunds. Also Oculus started to try out the refund function in Great Britain. And, last but not least, if there should be no refund options then there should be at least demos to play, to get an impression.

p.s.: for the Oculus Store, we want a wishlist/favorite list as well. <- the Oculus Store is all in all complete without feature.. it has not even te most basic ones. That is just fact. But I am sure that will change over time.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited July 2
    +

I want like to make two "examples" to show that it has nothing to do with "taking 5 minutes to inform yourself": the title I refunded on steam with Audioshield. Nearby all reviews are very good for this music game. How the gameplay really feels can not be judged from a 2D view on the monitor. After trying it I did not like it at all because it has quite nothing to do with a rhythm game. And before I bought it I have spent some time researching into it, I have reed nearby all steam reviews about it, watched youtube clips and reed reviews from game magazines. Only 1 of ten, if at all, mentioned that the game is not that good. Without testing I could not have known if I like it. So this has "nothing" to do with "buying blindly".

And, with all the "minigames" out there in VR an hour is more then enough to check out if the game suits your needs or not. I demanded a refund on Audioshield after 22 minutes.

The Climb was also a difficult decision as I do not like heights - but still it seemed one of those experiences VR is made for. I would have loved to test at least half a mountain wall before buying it.

Star Trek VR - I do like Science Fiction a lot but I am not sure if I will like this game. I would love to try out one mission or one hour of gameplay to see how it feels. The same goes for many many other titles, especially the ones that do cost a bit more.

All of this has nothing to do with being spoiled. And just you know, besides a few VR games I do not own even one steam game. I never understood the gamers complaining about hard DRM and then going all to steam where suddenly this is not a topic anymore. I do buy the few games I play mostly on gog (which offers a refund policy as well and has all the features we are talking about too). And, just you know as well, I am in the middle of my life, my first home computer was a vic 20 (before the c64; we typed in the code of our games manually back then, from the magazines) and I am into the media business myself. What I/we request, like a search on the website, and categories that make sense, whch can be sorted and do work, a wishlist and if possible to demo games or have a refund policy is nothing that strange, it is reason pure and you will see that Oculus will bring in categories, a search and a wishlist soon as it just makes perfect sense.