New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Google Earth VR finally available on the Oculus store

e_m_d88e_m_d88 Posts: 371
Trinity
It took a while but we finally got Google VR free on the Oculus Store.  Yippee 
ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S, i5 6600K. 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3000 MHZ. SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256 gigs. WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU. Inatech 4 port USB 3.0.  Rift + Touch.

Comments

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,388 Valuable Player
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,321 Power Poster
    Cool, I'll replace my SteamVR version with this one. Hopefully the Touch controls are better than the emulated Vive wands through FakeVive.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 3,215 Valuable Player
    Oh man this is amazing - so much better than the Steam one!  Everything works so well!
  • Yoong3dYoong3d Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Is it possible to use human scale even flying, or just standing on the ground?
  • ejsinejsin Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Why can I not get it to mirror on the screen?
  • 3Dmon3Dmon Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    Wow! This is one of the most amazing VR experiences yet. Very cool!
  • phillyd023phillyd023 Posts: 145
    Hiro Protagonist
    This is awesome!!! I was justanding on the 50 yard line at Lambeau Field!!!
  • phillyd023phillyd023 Posts: 145
    Hiro Protagonist
    is thre a way to get the view to mirror on the PC monitor? its hard teaching my wife what to do when I cant see what she is seeing
  • Odyssey_66Odyssey_66 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Wow, this has blown my mind. Exploring my region and all I can say, man this is the future!
  • ThugThug Posts: 400
    Trinity
    The steam version has also been updated for Rift use, but not had chance to try yet.
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k @3.30GHz,
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX1080,
    RAM: 16GB DDR5,
    Viewed on: Oculus Rift or 28" Dell monitor (x2),
    Hard Drive: 240GB OCZ SSD (games), 128GB Samsung SSD (OS), 64GB SSD (3d),
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 616
    Neo
    Awesome! It made me realize how small and insignificant I am!  :s (Titans of Space had the same effect). Seriously, this is one I will be spending a lot of time in. 
  • FieldOfVisionFieldOfVision Posts: 115 Poster of the Week
    Amazing! It is indeed such a good experience. 

Check out our latest VR exclusive games from www.FieldOfVision.com
  • forestguyforestguy Posts: 136
    Hiro Protagonist
    Tbh when streetview first came out on the DK2 that wowed me, this doesn't, maybe my expectations were set too high. Oh well at least this is free, however I would pay money for a super deluxe version of Street View on the CV1.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 2,425 Poster of the Week
    will this work without touch?
    its not for me but for my mate who has a dk2

thanks
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 780
    Neo
    Oh shut up, guys!  :p

Installed, but have to wait on my new headset

/envy
    Tried it last night--new control scheme is much better.

@bigmike20vt I believe Touch is required.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
  • mbze430mbze430 Posts: 566
    Trinity
    does the Oculus Home version support screen capture?
    i7-6900k @ 4.4ghz | Kingston Hyper 64GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz | SLI Nvidia Titan Xp | ASUS Strix Gaming X99 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVMe | 3x Samsung Pro 850 512GB RAID0 | 2x Samsung Pro 850 1TB RAID1 | Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Cooling | Thermaltake Core X5
  • Jokergod2000Jokergod2000 Posts: 291
    Nexus 6
    Great app but really? No screen mirroring?
  • kojackkojack Posts: 3,552 Volunteer Moderator
    OculusMirror works fine with it. (It really should have built in mirroring though)

• Alec_TurnerAlec_Turner Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    It's absolutely brilliant! As I'd hoped and prayed the controls are SO much better than with the FakeVive interface to the SteamVR/Vive version.
    Two pretty minor niggles:
    1) no compass (although I have spotted that the head on the little blue "current location" pin in the globe that's attached to your left controller points in the direction you're facing and thus can be used to orient yourself)
    2) unlike with the Vive version, it doesn't seem possible to rotate the globe on the left controller - given how easy this ought to be to implement (e.g. via a left/right push on one of the thumbsticks) I wonder if this omission is a simple oversight - anyone here from Oculus/Google able to comment?
    <<<<< Elite: Dangerous >>>>>

Master | Entrepreneur | Pioneer | Buckyballer | Fuel Rat

• cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 616
    Neo
    I wish it gave you the option of which controller you want to use. I know Touch is "hot" right now, but I think it's overkill for this particular app.  Not only do you see the controllers in your view all the time, but you can get spun around sometimes so you're not facing the sensors and then the controllers don't want to work. I don't think the Xbox controller would have this problem. 
  • bobd14bobd14 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    edited April 20
    Thought about buying Touch, but realized it's not for me at this point.  I love poking around google earth, but NOT going to spend $100 just to see GE in VR.  I wish the app could run without Touch!  This clearly is a ploy to buy Touch! :#
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 3,215 Valuable Player
    bobd14 said:
    Thought about buying Touch, but realized it's for me at this point.  I love poking around google earth, but NOT going to spend $100 just to see GE in VR.  I wish the app could run without Touch!  This clearly is a ploy to buy Touch! :#
    So many more reasons to buy Touch.  There are so many great apps (non-gaming) out there buddy, and Touch works so well with them.
  • e_m_d88e_m_d88 Posts: 371
    Trinity
    Suit yourself.  The touch expands so much the VR experience 
    ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S, i5 6600K. 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3000 MHZ. SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256 gigs. WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU. Inatech 4 port USB 3.0.  Rift + Touch.
  • DTHDTH Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    I had to buy a new computer Just for Rift and Touch.  I'm a non-gamer but Rift + Touch are a lot better than my Gear VR. 
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    This is awesome!!! I was justanding on the 50 yard line at Lambeau Field!!!
    I have to do that myself, great idea - Go Pack!
  • BilbosmegginsBilbosmeggins Posts: 246 Poster of the Week
    Think I need to download this myself, if only to stand at Amen Corner :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 3,552 Volunteer Moderator
    bobd14 said:
    Thought about buying Touch, but realized it's not for me at this point.  I love poking around google earth, but NOT going to spend $100 just to see GE in VR.  I wish the app could run without Touch!  This clearly is a ploy to buy Touch! :#
    The desktop Google Earth has moved to Chrome and dropped support for any controllers besides keyboard/mouse. So I now have $400+ worth of 3D Connexion camera controllers that can't work with Earth anymore. So their controller support in general is limited (both VR and non VR versions).
    (Luckily I use them with other software, but my favourite use was Google Earth)

I wish the VR version of Earth supported strafing.

• Yoong3dYoong3d Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited April 21
    Anyone knows if it is possible to use human scale even flying, or just standing on the ground?
    edited April 21
    kojack said:
    I wish the VR version of Earth supported strafing.
    You can drag the ground side-to-side by pointing at the ground and using the trigger, although that's not quite strafing. I agree that using the side directions on the thumbstick would be preferable. 
    Yoong3d said:
    Anyone knows if it is possible to use human scale even flying, or just standing on the ground?
    I think the scale automatically adjusts based on you height off the ground, i.e. you get bigger as you zoom out.