/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Introducing Facebook Spaces

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 21,372 Oculus Staff
edited April 18 in General

Today, we’re introducing Facebook Spaces (https://www.facebook.com/spaces)—a new VR app where you hang out with friends in a fun, interactive virtual environment, as if you were in the same room. Facebook Spaces launches in beta for Oculus Rift and Touch today, and you can download it now from the Oculus Store (https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1036793313023466/).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• Dark3stWhiteDark3stWhite Posts: 60
    Hiro Protagonist
    Looks awesome!! Too bad its not loading for me :( It works until I sign into my Facebook account and then just hangs at a black screen :(.  But as to be expected in Beta!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 21,372 Oculus Staff
    That's odd. Can you make sure you're on the latest Oculus app version (1.13)?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • MinituMinitu Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    Being able to call from inside VR to meatspace will have a massive effect on VR awareness. Even I'm considering creating a Facebook account... Damn smart people, sinergies, etc.
    Soon upgrading to Ryzen
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 2,993 Valuable Player
    Do we need a Facebook account for this or is it for Oculus friends?

Yes, you'll need a Facebook account (and friends).
    I wish i could say 1 outta 2 aint bad...   :s
    Hang on, will there be a time when we need a Facebook account to use the Rift?

Just wondering...
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 2,586 Valuable Player
    edited April 18
    I have a feeling that I'll eventually have to bite the bullet and get onboard with Facebook. It may not ever be strictly necessary, but already, they use Facebook to release videos for Medium, and that doesn't work really well without having an account (giant "Sign Up or Sign In" banner covers half the screen). Also some Oculus contests, give-aways, and stuff have required a FB sign-in.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    nalex66 said:
    I have a feeling that I'll eventually have to bite the bullet and get onboard with Facebook. It may not ever be strictly necessary, but already, they use Facebook to release videos for Medium, and that doesn't work really well without having an account (giant "Sign Up or Sign In" banner covers half the screen). Also some Oculus contests, give-aways, and stuff have required a FB sign-in.
    lol noticed that when i go to Facebook sometimes - very annoying.

As for the accounts question - i expect to use my Oculus account for my Oculus Rift and a Facebook account for if i go to Facebook.

This is slightly annoying.  I honestly think they'd have been better keeping it Oculus and if they want it to go through the Facebook servers, do it silently without anybody knowing.  If you've got a Rift, you've got an Oculus account - making people log in to Facebook isn't going to get thousands more on-board.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 533
    Trinity
    edited April 18
    Been playing with it a while this afternoon. Struggled a little figuring out what to do, but seems to be pretty neat. Especially like the way you can pick up photos and place them all about you.

Unless I am missing it don't really see a way to keep up with one's newsfeed though...

Oh, and also I had one PC system crash/restart when starting the app. So far only the one.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 2,586 Valuable Player
    Can you also connect with your Oculus friends list, or only Facebook friends?
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    Hiro Protagonist
    That's odd. Can you make sure you're on the latest Oculus app version (1.13)?
    Yes i am
    nalex66 said:
    Can you also connect with your Oculus friends list, or only Facebook friends?
    It's a Facebook app so it works with your Facebook friends.
  • OimannOimann Posts: 6
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I can't create a apperance or do anyhing. It says i have to tag a Foto on Facebook. I did, but i can't select it, The Tutriol doesn't start, it only restarts the app. How can i tag a Foto on Faceboom to youse it in the app
    When you upload a photo to Facebook, you can click on it and then click on your face to tag it (alternatively there is a tag link near the bottom of the photo box).
  • VirtuaJulianVirtuaJulian Posts: 148 Oculus Staff

If you are looking for some cool 360 photos to share and use in Spaces, here's a bunch of Rift and Gear VR experiences we've published to the Oculus FB page. Just share them to your profile and they'll be immediately visible from your Facebook feed in Spaces the next time you jump in!

Edge of Nowhere, The Climb, Obduction, Lost, from Story Studio, Dead and Buried, Drop Dead

Plus we have some images in from 360Cities that are fun too:

Cherry Blossom Festival in Japan, Norwegian fjords, New York City

Looks awesome!! Too bad its not loading for me :( It works until I sign into my Facebook account and then just hangs at a black screen :(.  But as to be expected in Beta!
    After you sign in you have to put the headset on to continue.
  • OimannOimann Posts: 6
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    When you upload a photo to Facebook, you can click on it and then click on your face to tag it (alternatively there is a tag link near the bottom of the photo box).

i did this
    See this page for help and instructions:
    https://www.facebook.com/help/145986952600577
  • MinituMinitu Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    Tried myself with two facebook accounts. Its not enough that the receiver of the call has its number attached to its profile, but has to have installed facebook messenger on its phone.

If you have a friend that uses Messenger, it can be fun... Especially if you put yourself in The walking Dead environment.
    Soon upgrading to Ryzen
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 558
    Neo
    I'm going to try this out tonight - my wife keeps getting on my case coz "real people" use facebook all the time apparently :tongue:

I might be able to finally get into it.. I saw the calling flatland people in the promo video and can't wait to try that out :smile:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
    Hiro Protagonist
    After you sign in you have to put the headset on to continue.
    Yeah, I had it on, I tried multiple times, but it would just show the hourglass in the rift with a black background and then it would appear that it is loading but then the Facebook application along with my oculus go completely unresponsive. Unable to go back to oculus home at all. it appears that it just crashes the oculus software entirely as there is no light being emitted from the headset at all
  • kazRiumkazRium Posts: 49
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Just got it setup, pretty cool, started calling random people in the friends list, worked pretty well.  Question for anyone who knows, when I first logged on it said something about games, but I never clicked on it.  After I logged out and logged back on that is no longer there.  Is there a games section that you can go to?  Also, can you play videos from your feed, or is it just pictures? Cool stuff though! 
    Yeah videos should be supported too.
  • SH80NE87SH80NE87 Posts: 6
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Oimann said:
    I can't create a apperance or do anyhing. It says i have to tag a Foto on Facebook. I did, but i can't select it, The Tutriol doesn't start, it only restarts the app. How can i tag a Foto on Faceboom to youse it in the app
    same issue here. cant get past the first part. i tried uninstalling and reinstall.. problems still 
  • bloodylibrabloodylibra Posts: 20
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Cool app. But how do I change the background?
  • MrJoseyMrJosey Posts: 9
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Great! Now I just need friends--err--facebook friends who also have the app. I have friends......really......Can someone be my (facebook) friend?
  • xunknownxxunknownx Posts: 55
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    am i the only one who don't see the appeal in this?  none of my friends have an oculus rift and i'm not really interested in talking to random strangers, especially dudes in VR.
  • GurenyunGurenyun Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    my facebook account dont work,I dont why,because I'm a chinese?

it's alway in this page“Please wait....”,I waited 2 hours,but there are nothing,anybody help me. Pls
  • TickTockTickTock Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    Can/will this app post activity on friends FB feed? (i.e. "TickTock has just achieved emperor level in Penguin Farming!  Join him!")