/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Google Earth VR Crashing

cgstonecgstone Posts: 3
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
My Google Earth VR keeps crashing! I even uninstalled and reinstalled and I get same issue!

Comments

• spence153spence153 Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    same here and can't find a fix
  • Emohne23Emohne23 Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    same here and ditto... no fix
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 638
    Neo
    Did it crash immediately? perhaps you can check where it create the cache and which size was set. The cache is by default in the 'hidden" appdata directory. For me is here:

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\VR\Earth'

It's in the "earth_vr_preferences.json" file you can edit with Wordpad or notepad (backup first). You have the path and the size at the bottom (2MB by default). Try to move it elsewhere (E.g other HDD). Possibly a write Right problem or size?

Just guessing...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

• paulshortlandpaulshortland Posts: 19
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Same, crashes as loading or during the welcome tour. Worked ok yesterday.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 638
    Neo
    Just spent more than an hour in it, and with new 1.14 drivers, and perfect, no problem at all here. My only problem is you can't leave it cleanly AFAIK, I have to force return to Home, and kill the App in the Task manager.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 21,377 Oculus Staff
    Can you check which version of the Oculus app you have (in Settings -> General look at the bottom)? You should see either 1.13 or 1.14 (which a bunch of numbers at the end).
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    1.13 for me, no sign of 1.14 yet but I seem to get all updates really late (It's not annoying at all, hardly at all, actually aaarrrgggghhhh I can't use so many things everytime I am waiting for an update)
  • softwarescoutsoftwarescout Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Same problem here as well. I tried re-installing but to no avail. I'm not seeing this json file mentioned above in the same location nor in a file search on the HDD.  I'm using Oculus v1.13.0.362051. I clicked Google Earth Start button, the Start button spins for a second, the screen flashes then nothing.  Back to main screen.
  • k1rena34k1rena34 Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I have same ploblem. I dont start google earth VR
  • clokwrkclokwrk Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Also crashing for me. Oculus App Version 1.13.0362051
    Please make sure that you have Rift and all monitors connected to the primary dedicated GPU. Nothing can be connected to the motherboard integrated graphics port or secondary video cards. If you are using a laptop, you can try to setting video card settings (for example in the Nvidia control panel 3D settings) to always use the High-Powered GPU. However, laptops can be problematic and may not work in any case.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Please make sure that you have Rift and all monitors connected to the primary dedicated GPU. Nothing can be connected to the motherboard integrated graphics port or secondary video cards. If you are using a laptop, you can try to setting video card settings (for example in the Nvidia control panel 3D settings) to always use the High-Powered GPU. However, laptops can be problematic and may not work in any case.
    I think the issue here is that the CV1 isn't fully a consumer level device yet. My google earth started working again once the 1.14 update had arrived. Normal consumers would not put up with these things. Posting about checking connections when it was previously stated to have worked fine is not that helpful.

Having had the DK1 and DK2 I had no issue with hacking a fix for those devices. Surely the CV1 should just work?

Anyhow, roll on the Cv2. Maybe that will work better.
  • clokwrkclokwrk Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I think the issue here is that the CV1 isn't fully a consumer level device yet. My google earth started working again once the 1.14 update had arrived. Normal consumers would not put up with these things. Posting about checking connections when it was previously stated to have worked fine is not that helpful.

Having had the DK1 and DK2 I had no issue with hacking a fix for those devices. Surely the CV1 should just work?

Anyhow, roll on the Cv2. Maybe that will work better.
    so I currently do have my monitor plugged into the onboard (need to get a vga to dvi converter). I've tried unplugging everything but the oculus, and it didnt' help. I'll wait for the 1.14 update to get to me, and see if that fixes it.
    You can't use the motherbord video port as I mentioned. However, in most cases, you will need at least one monitor connected in addition to Rift. So please look at getting an adapter, ideally a digital one (like DVI or DisplayPort).