/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Starting the rollout of version 1.14 (PC software update for April)

nmitchellnmitchell Posts: 16 Oculus Staff
edited April 20 in General
Hey everyone,

We started the rollout of version 1.14, our PC software update for April.

This month we’ve continued to improve support for 3-sensor configurations, including a new guided setup process for three sensors. The Oculus app will also now automatically prompt you to update your setup if you plug in a third sensor.

One other big change is around Touch and existing gamepad games: with 1.14, you'll now be able to use Touch for many games and experiences that were previously gamepad only. The buttons and triggers will map to Touch controllers automatically, making it easier to switch between games with different inputs (Touch vs. gamepad). This doesn't mean gamepad apps will suddenly support tracked input or hand presence, but it makes using Rift more convenient. Apps that support this new feature will be marked with “Touch (as gamepad)” in the store.

As usual, we’ve also squashed plenty of bugs and made tweaks throughout, so thanks again for your feedback - it helps us improve Rift every month. You can check out the full patch notes here: https://ocul.us/releasenotes

Thanks!

Nate

Comments

• XsjadiaXsjadia Posts: 325
    Nexus 6
    edited April 20
    Just me being OCD: Can you (or anyone) confirm the latest version number (full number), so we know if we have it, or are just on the latest Public Test Release?
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    GTX 1080
    16 GB RAM @ 3200 Mhz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    3-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 21,372 Oculus Staff
    If you are in the public test channel, then you should have the latest version already. No need to do anything. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 52
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited April 21
    OK fix this plus add a Switch in OCULUS HOME to DISABLE ASW + NOT CAP to 45fps.

Jumps and Flashes are fixed by setting Affinity settings: -
    Run ED then go to TASK MANAGER>DETAILS: Right-Click Affinity

ED64: cores 0-5 (this is the game Elite:Dangerous)
    OculusVR: cores 6-7 (this file may be new in latest Public Test update)
    OVRServer_64: cores 6-7

OCULUS must now code this so we do not require manual or autohotkey programs.
    Source: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/121355-Getting-the-Best-DK2-CV1-Vive-VR-Experience-Guide-Compendium?p=5404960#post5404960
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,043 Valuable Player
    Ooooo
    New release
    Thanks for the notes @nmitchell
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    @MAC_MAN86 I've already shared your work-around with the engineering team and people are looking into it. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • XsjadiaXsjadia Posts: 325
    Nexus 6
    @MAC_MAN86 - Just tried the affinity settings, definitely does not work for Robo Recall. Makes the game load really slowly, and play much worse than if all cores are running. Also makes touch tracking much, much worse. Maybe I'm an outlier though :/

I can understand how setting the affinity for cores would work for certain games that don't rely heavily on OculusVR or OVRServer_64, but in the case of Robo Recall, it just doesn't work. Am I the only one?
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    GTX 1080
    16 GB RAM @ 3200 Mhz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    3-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 919 Poster of the Week
    Xsjadia said:
    @MAC_MAN86 - Just tried the affinity settings, definitely does not work for Robo Recall. Makes the game load really slowly, and play much worse than if all cores are running. Also makes touch tracking much, much worse. Maybe I'm an outlier though :/

I can understand how setting the affinity for cores would work for certain games that don't rely heavily on OculusVR or OVRServer_64, but in the case of Robo Recall, it just doesn't work. Am I the only one?
    Try different cores!

For me, while playing New Retro Arcade: Neon, I had to use Cores 4 and 6 for the OVR processes instead of 6-7. I actually just set cores 4-7 to the OVR processes and 0-3 to the game just to be safe and the intermittent "HMD Bounce" was gone.

I'm not sure if this is different system to system, game to game, or maybe the difference between Win7 or Win10.
    edited April 21
    Actually, I don't think the game has anything to do with it. What I did to figure this out was:

1. Load up the Oculus + home.
    2. Open up Task Manager and find the OVRServer_64.exe
    3. Disable 1 of the cores and click apply
    4. Check perforamance result in Oculus Home
    5. Repeat Steps 3-4 until Tracking/Framerate in Oculus home dies then re-enable that core and continue to disable others.

You should find there will be one core that will make tracking practically dead if you disable it regardless of what other cores are enabled.. and another that will reduce tracking performance if its disabled. For me, as soon as I dropped core 4, everything went to shit.. with only Core 4 on it worked but with poor performance (slow tracking update, black border visible when rotating), until I enabled core 6 then it all worked fine.

I got this set up without any games running, just Oculus Home .. which leads me to think that it is somehow based on System/CPU/Operating system or some other factor.
  • SHNYZSHNYZ Posts: 12
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Today's Public Test update still has not solved the jumps, short grey outs, and flashes!

ROLL BACK TO 1.12 FINALLY BY CONSUMER DEMAND!
    the jumps, short grey outs, and flashes with dcs world, asseto corsa, il2 battle of stalingrad and more don' t have this probleme with 1.12 WHAT ARE YOU DOING OCULUS PLEASE ROLL BACK 1.12 !!!!!!!!!!
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 913 Poster of the Week
    SHNYZ said:
    Today's Public Test update still has not 1solved the jumps, short grey outs, and flashes!

ROLL BACK TO 1.12 FINALLY BY CONSUMER DEMAND!
    the jumps, short grey outs, and flashes with dcs world, asseto corsa, il2 battle of stalingrad and more don' t have this probleme with 1.12 WHAT ARE YOU DOING OCULUS PLEASE ROLL BACK 1.12 !!!!!!!!!!
    There will never be rollback if you search the term you will see its a dev reason that will cause more issues then solve

They will now probably prove me wrong ofc
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,515
    Project 2501
    Thanks @nmitchell!
    71AWBj.png
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 SLI | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Today's Public Test update still has not solved the jumps, short grey outs, and flashes!
    SHNYZ said:
    @MAC_MAN86 I've already shared your work-around with the engineering team and people are looking into it. Thanks.
    Basically, no .. not in this patch. They are still looking into it.
  • Micro666Micro666 Posts: 11
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)

Errrr....I get no jumps, short grey outs, or flashes. I've had my Rift for around 6 - 8 weeks now, and was on 1.12, then 1.13, and now 1.14 beta.

I've not encountered any issues mentioned. I get a rock solid picture in VR, and no tracking issues at all. Running on a GTX 1080 (though upgraded to a GTX 1080ti from yesterday) :-)

Could these issues be related to lower spec cards or systems?

Micro666

Micro666 said:

Errrr....I get no jumps, short grey outs, or flashes. I've had my Rift for around 6 - 8 weeks now, and was on 1.12, then 1.13, and now 1.14 beta.

I've not encountered any issues mentioned. I get a rock solid picture in VR, and no tracking issues at all. Running on a GTX 1080 (though upgraded to a GTX 1080ti from yesterday) :-)

Micro666

It only appears to happen in certain games or a certain amount of CPU usage. Most people are experiencing the problem in Elite: Dangerous, I'm getting it in New Retro Arcade Neon.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited April 21
    i have  jumps, short grey outs, or flashes and i have oculus as september 2016 i never have this probleme with all update the problem come with the 1.13 and WITH all my games ( dcs world, elite dangerous , il2 battle of stalingrad, asseto corsa , dirt rally and more) my config :
    I7 4790K
    MSI Z87 GD65
    MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X
    GSKILL SNIPER 16GB DDR3 2133 MHZ
    SSD CORSAIR 480 GB
    COOLER MASTER 750W PLUS BRONZE
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 776
    Neo
    If you are in the public test channel, then you should have the latest version already. No need to do anything. Thanks.
    I'm in the public test channel, and I'm still on 1.13 version.
    That's odd. You can try leaving the test channel, restarting your computer, and then enabling it again. Or leave it off and wait a day or two until you get the official update. Hope that helps.
  • mbze430mbze430 Posts: 557
    Trinity
    does this address problem with xbox one controller not connecting after use?
    i7-6900k @ 4.4ghz | Kingston Hyper 64GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz | SLI Nvidia Titan Xp | ASUS Strix Gaming X99 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVMe | 3x Samsung Pro 850 512GB RAID0 | 2x Samsung Pro 850 1TB RAID1 | Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Cooling | Thermaltake Core X5
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 638
    Neo
    I'm glad I never had jumps, short grey outs, or flashes with 1.13. Rift have never been so smooth for me :)

1.14 landed today and I will test it tonight. I'll redo the sensors setting just by security like always when new version is installed.

Thanks a bunch Oculus Team for you works :)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

• dburnedburne Posts: 533
    Trinity
    Still on 1.13 here.
    I am sure it will be like the last couple of times for me, and be a few days lol.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • DraxconDraxcon Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Hello
    Hi, @Draxcon
  • DTHDTH Posts: 30
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Does the app need to be open or just the computer turned on?
    It can update in the background or if you have it open.
  • e_m_d88e_m_d88 Posts: 360
    Trinity
    No update for me yet.  
    ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S, i5 6600K. 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3000 MHZ. SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256 gigs. WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU. Inatech 4 port USB 3.0.  Rift + Touch.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 2,091
    Project 2501
    edited April 22
    Micro666 said:

Micro666

I had a few grew jumps in ed on 1 occasion and when i checked one of my sensors was showing connected as usb 2. Rebooted and all was well. All my issues (i dont have many! I think are related to running my usb right on the edge.

Maybe its because i have 6 physical core i7 so have 2 extra (or 4 if you consoder hyperthreading)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • stargate88stargate88 Posts: 25
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited April 23
    I got the update 1.14.0.375447. I have a 2 sensor set up (on my desk). Oculus home is now showing on my left hand side instead of in front of me. Height is incorrect as the floor is now on my knee level. When I move the hmd, the room is moving with it. Position of the touch completely incorrect to the point that they are not usable.
    Tried the full set up but fails at tracking at the touch controller or the HMD. When I arrived on the HMD part it showed both sensors on my left side instead of in front of me.
    Then started a steam VR game, all I could see is grey.

Suggestion as major feature for next update: possibility to roll back the version!
    edited April 23
    You should try to recenter in the Universal Menu and do the sensor setup again.
  • TickTockTickTock Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    The 1.14 version seems far more apt to move the sensors around.  When setting up the guardian it got very confused when I was at the edge of the play area (poor tracking) and I had to start over being very careful to first set up a smaller area and then slowly expand it.  Two suggestions:
    1) add an option for the user to indicate that the sensors are fixed (i.e. mounted in the ceiling and cannot move) and prevent the platform from thinking they moved once the position is established (just before setting up the guardian in the setup).  This is, I think, a very important feature.  If the software knows that the sensors are fixed it can to a much better job tracking (fewer variables).
    2) add the ability to clean up the guardian.  By the time I am done, there are always little blips here and there.  Would be nice to be able to erase from the play area.