New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

hmd cable management solution

hoochyukhoochyuk Posts: 330 Poster of the Week
edited April 21 in General
Wow just recieved my cable management  pulleys for the rift of of amazon  and there amazing for 6 pulleys £20.No more tripping over cable and I can lie down or stand up in any part of my 2.8m × 2.8m play area and unclipped when done.  It literally feels wireless and no drilling put up in literally 3 mins

Comments

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,302 Valuable Player
    Fkin aye!
    You only using 3?
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • Jamesparker_1Jamesparker_1 Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    Do you feel them pulling on the headset at all?
  • darkeclypsedarkeclypse Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    Ive got the same set and have had it for 2 weeks now.. At first loved it but did not like it pulling the headset. So I found a back pack around the house and put it on to attach the cable to the back loop at the top of the back pack so there would be some slack in the cable.. it would pull on the back pack which you wouldn't notice.. worked great. Till you turn around and the wire cables are in your face. :(  So i'm flustered now not knowing what to change.. need someone else in the family to try it on so I can see how to maybe tweak it.

• hoochyukhoochyuk Posts: 330 Poster of the Week
    I get a little pull if I lie down at back of my room but only a tiny tug and I used 4
    It's far better than ripping my hdmi cable out or headset off my head everytime I stand up after lying down,95% of the time now I forget I'm connected
  • lovethislovethis Posts: 3,217 Poster of the Week
    How does that remain stuck to the ceiling? I bet it won't last 5 mins if it's just stuck there with them pads. Either it will eventually pull the paint off or just peel off I suspect.
    It's 3m so sticks solid and the pulleys are weighted for the oculus rift cable so there's very little pull on them the cords extend 2.5m each so I can comfortably  lie on the floor played onward 6 hours last night and not 1 problem or cable worry.you gotta get the ones by medwic  though as the others don't have the right weighted pulleys as vive cable heavier
    edited April 22
    @licker1977 - So you can't remove them if they are stuck solid? I'm hoping they come off so I can make adjustments to them if I put them up wrong the first time around.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,302 Valuable Player
    It's far better than ripping my hdmi cable out or headset off my head everytime I stand up after lying down,95% of the time now I forget I'm connected
    Thats why i did this
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/46883/make-sure-the-cable-doesnt-tug-on-the-headset-plug-solution
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • darkeclypsedarkeclypse Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    edited April 22
    lovethis said:
    @licker1977 - So you can't remove them if they are stuck solid? I'm hoping they come off so I can make adjustments to them if I put them up wrong the first time around.
    Yes you can.. i have mine stuck to the basement wood painted joists.. ive moved them once already and may tweak it some more and feel confident they will stick again.

Im talking about the sticky back hooks.. not the 3m white pads.
    I don't know not taken one of must of been lucky with the placement as works perfect
    edited April 22
    @licker1977- Do you have that last cable and pulley that holds the Rift, directly above your head or just behind you? I also think you will pull the paint off your ceiling in time because if you look at the design pictures it doesn't show it being stuck to a painted ceiling. I might be wrong so if someone has had these on a painted ceiling for sometime can comment, it might be a bit more reassuring.

I've messed about with this for some time and I don't know if it's just me doing it wrong, but I have come to the conclusion that over head cables hanging from the ceiling create more problems then it's worth. Maybe it's because my computer is in-front of me where the two front facing cameras are and it requires the computer and cables behind you. I find I just keep getting tangled in the cables more then I do with it just on the floor. 

So does the computer and cable need to be behind you? The CV1 with such short extension cables doesn't allow much room for manoeuvre.
    My pc is in front aswell last pulley is above my head
    Will try and post a video of it working
    Best I can video while on me todd
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,027 Poster of the Week
    I get a little pull if I lie down at back of my room but only a tiny tug and I used 4
    Lock the door, tighten your belt and zipper and keep moving for added security ...
    ... lest the anonymous tiny tugger will strike again !  :o
    Best I can video while on me todd
    That would be great, it sure would help out. I've ordered some now.
    Can't post video on here
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 22,707 Oculus Staff
    If you upload to a site like YouTube or Vimeo you can just paste the video link URL and it will show up.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • francesco_2013francesco_2013 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I am using the same solution with 3 hooks and 3 dog leashes and it works very fine BUT there is a big annoying freaking problem ... when you turn around the cable twists too and I am sure in a long term it will break for sure. 520 euros including the 3rd sensor and you did not come up with a decent solution for the cable ? This is a huge super annoying and troubling problem possible you could not think at anything better Oculus ?