/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Headset is turning off: cable is loosing the contact possible defect

alexvilchalexvilch Posts: 10
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
Recently I've noticed a strange issue with my Oculus Rift headset: it was turned off. I had to pull the cable connected to the top of the headset and orange and then white light went on and I was able to continue using it.
 I've bought Oculus Rift only in December 2016, not even 6 months passed and I suspect the cable connecting to the top of the headset is loosing the connectivity occasionally, it could be an intermittent issue.
 I've bought it in Microsoft Store. Does anyone know what options do I have to fix this ? If one day even pulling the cable does not return the white light can I exchange it in Microsoft store or it's better to get it done now ? Is there any manufacturing warranty for Oculus Rift headset ? Or they can replace it only when it's totally out of service.

Thank you,

Alex

Comments

• XsjadiaXsjadia Posts: 325
    Nexus 6
    If you find a defect in your hardware, it's always better to get it fixed (returned) sooner rather than when it completely goes out.

And to be clear, you say "pulling" on the cable returns your HMD to normal function? Instead of reseating the cable's plug? If you haven't already, you should try reseating the cable by taking the face-plate off of your headset, removing the cable from it's connector, and plugging it back in.

Though if this doesn't resolve your issue I would consider returning it to the store and getingt a new one, if still under the store's warranty (I usually buy from stores precisely because you can bring your defective unit in, and you'll walk out with a new one in hand).

Oculus has a 1-year Warranty iirc, but you will first need to contact support @ https://support.oculus.com/ and go through the support process so they can determine whether or not your headset is defective.
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    GTX 1080
    16 GB RAM @ 3200 Mhz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    3-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • alexvilchalexvilch Posts: 10
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Thank you for your reply.
    >> you say "pulling" on the cable returns your HMD to normal function?
    Correct, when the light went off and I got a message from Oculus home "no headset connected" I've tried to plug/unplug HDMI cable from HDMI port, it did not help. Then just shaken my headset and pull back/forward couple of time the cable where it's connecting to the headset and the orange and then while light went on and it has started working.....

>>reseating the cable by taking the face-plate off of your headset, removing the cable from it's connector, and plugging it back in.

It should not void the manufacturing warranty, correct ? Is there any manual/instruction/picture how to do this ? I'm just afraid of messing with the hardware to avoid problems to be blamed that I had broken this by myself. Perhaps it's better to bring this to Microsoft store where I've bought it ? Or this is OK for Rift owner to do the partial disassebmle of the headset ?

Thank you,

Alex

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 21,931 Oculus Staff
    Yes, please reach out to us. As long as you purchased from a authorized retailer, you will have a warranty from Oculus. Please DO NOT attempt to repair yourself as that will void the warranty. Thanks.
    https://support.oculus.com
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • XsjadiaXsjadia Posts: 325
    Nexus 6
    edited April 21
    Sorry, clarification: by no means take apart your headset to get to the inner workings of it. But what you CAN do is remove the faceplate (the spong-ey part that pushes against your face, which also has plastic on the opposite side of it to properly fit to the HMD), which reveals the cable head that connects to the headset.

But before going further, it's always better to differ to cybereality on these things. You should contact support so they can properly guide you through this method. They might have you try to reseat the cable, and could possibly provide you with a video/picture guide on how to do this.

It's up to you, OP, as to whether you want to take it back to the store, or go through the support process. As a consumer, I would say take it back to the store and get a new one, since that would be the fastest option (make sure it's still under the STORE's warranty though, as they won't honor Oculus' warranty of course). But as someone who understands that troubleshooting with Oculus Support also leads to a better product for consumers in the long term, you should consider going that route as well.
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    GTX 1080
    16 GB RAM @ 3200 Mhz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    3-Sensor, Roomscale Setup