/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Can't index finger point with left touch controller

zCatalystzCatalyst Posts: 3
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
I can't seem to use my index finger to point with my left touch controller, it doesn't seemed to work/detect. Not sure if it's a software or a hardware issue.
I have tried:
Reinstalling Oculus Software
Changing the batteries

Nothing seemed to work i just got the controllers few days ago.

Attached my diagnostic files.

Any help would be appreciated thanks alot.

Comments

• AnderasAnderas Posts: 48
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited May 3
    I´ve got the same problem. first it started with the left one and than with the right one. Sometimes I can point my index finger with the right controller. I´ve already contacted oculus support and after suggesting to replace the baterries they suggested a replace the controlers . I hope it is a software problem.
    04-30-17 - the controllers are working again, everything is ok for my surprise. I hope thet don´t stop working again
    04-30-17 - stopped working again, I can only point with the right controller and thumbs up with the left one.
    it was working just fine, then I ran Disney VR movies and selected the beauty and the beast experience that uses touch controllers, so I noticed that they were not responding quite well again. That´s weird!

05-01-17- The controllers were working quite well last night, today gestures don´t work anymore.
    Thet worked for 2 days, and now I can´t only point my finger with the right hand controller
  • zCatalystzCatalyst Posts: 3
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Hey Anderas thanks for the reply, i have contacted oculus support they said they will get back to me soon.
    My Oculus Touch Controller still doesn't work that sucks because i can't use it for Facebook spaces to point at things.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    yeah, it really sucks! My controllers stopped working again.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 21,759 Oculus Staff
    Best to submit a support ticket for cases like this. Thanks.
    https://support.oculus.com
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited May 5
    Thanks, Cybereality.  The oculus support asked me to send the controllers for replacement. But oculus does not receive any package from Brazil, so I would have to send them to someone in USA, and I don´t know anyone in USA that can do this for me.  That´s why I´m waiting and trying to find a way to fix them. 
    Yesterday night they were working pretty fine, today they are not. I´ve heard from a guy that his touch controllers' gestures went back to life after an oculus update. I hope this happens to me too!  :'( :'(
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited May 7
    Hey guys, I wanna share with you something very interesting that I've experienced.
    I found out that when I play the Dead and Burried by Oculus Studio, the controlers gestures work pretty well ALL THE TIME, I mean, all gestures  work great, with not problems at all, I can thumbs up with both controllers and point my finger with both ones.
    When I try the Touch tutorial, I noticed that when I take off my fingers from the trigger buttom, the controllers seem to "understand" that, but it seems that there is a problem with the finger point and thumbs up animations.
    I think that maybe it´s not a hardware problem.
    Here is a video that I made.

I also opened a new support ticket with this new info.

• KirshawKirshaw Posts: 34
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I´ve posted a subject before see this one, and i have a similar problem, but with the right controller... also opened a support ticket and i also noticed that in tutorial the behaviour of the capacitive sensors ar normal
  • slaveyinslaveyin Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    You guys finally found a solution for this? im having the same issues as anderas, it works fine when i play dead and buried.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Not yet, Slaveyin. I'm waiting for oculus support's feedback.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited May 8
    Both controllers work great when I play Arizona Sunshine.

Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
     :/ 
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Support is looking into this problem, i have a opened ticket... i confirm that playing dead and buried the gesture function is working fine, don´t have the arizona to do the testing, but looks it happen more using home and tutorial... i´ll be trying 1.15 beta home to see if it´s better
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I´m trying 1.15 beta and it´s good for now, didn´t happend until now, support crew don´t have a clue about the problem using the submitted ticket... anyone have other updates about th issue?
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Updating the post, now my left touch is failing in index and thumbs gesture... still not believing in hardware problem, what the odds of 2 touchs having problems within 15 days?
  • zCatalystzCatalyst Posts: 3
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Wow, did expect so many people having the same problems as me.

Just an update i received a replacement from amazon and the same thing happened after 2 days and now the left touch controller is having the same issue.

And yes Dead and Buried seemed to work perfectly fine with my previous set and this current replacement set. 

Unfortunately Finger pointing gesture is needed for some application like "Facebook Spaces". :( I hope the devs can come up with a fix on this.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    zCatalyst said:
    Wow, did expect so many people having the same problems as me.

Just an update i received a replacement from amazon and the same thing happened after 2 days and now the left touch controller is having the same issue.

And yes Dead and Buried seemed to work perfectly fine with my previous set and this current replacement set. 

Unfortunately Finger pointing gesture is needed for some application like "Facebook Spaces". :( I hope the devs can come up with a fix on this.
    One more reason to believe that´s software based problem... strangely for me it works like it you are pressing/touching a button that you are not, but when i press or touch another button it works like it have been unlocked and the gesture is available again... the results vary from my left and right touch, sometimes can´t make thumb up, some times index pointing, sometimes both!
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited June 1
    Hey guys!
    Oculus support was looking into the problem, but in the meanwhile I got a new video card, new cpu and a new motherboard (gtx 1080, i7 7700k, asrock z270 extreme 6), then I did a clean install of windows 10 pro and installed only the essential drivers, but gestures still didn´t work, then I sent an e-mail with this new info to oculus support and they said that there was not much left to do and the best option was to get replacement Touch controllers.
    So I told the seller about the situation and he asked me to send the controllers back to him (very friendly), then I bought new touch controllers from another seller.
    These new ones are working perfectly. I hope they don´t stop working after a few days.
    I really think that there are some hardware differences between controllers out there and they need some software implamentations in order to make them work properly. because if gestures were totally broken, they wouldn´t work with (dead and buried) and (Arizona sunshine) at all.

Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    bad news!  I can't point my index finger with the right controller. Déjà vu
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    2 users already replaced their touch and showing the same problem, we all have opened support ticket and the support don´t seems to know why... We should ask cyber or any other oculus team member to take this issue to the dev team!
    Best thing to speak with us on the support ticket and see if replacement is an option. You can also post your LogGatherer logs here so I can take a look to. 
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    REPLACEMENT??? How to many times will we have to replace our controllers? Forever???
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited May 27
    Best thing to speak with us on the support ticket and see if replacement is an option. You can also post your LogGatherer logs here so I can take a look to. 
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    Hi Cyber, i already sent the logs to support and they don´t have a clue about whats happening, replacing the touchs is not viable for me as i bought through amazon outside usa... But previous users that replaced them were unable to solve that problem too; the odd behaviour of touches seems to be software based, as it works fine within games...
    I´ll post my log here in order to help the community to solve this Puzzle!
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Just to be clear about the issue, i only started to use the touch by end of march, it worked fine till end of april, same period that other users seems to experience the same problem
    Sorry, I don't see much in those logs that would point to the issue.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Sorry, I don't see much in those logs that would point to the issue.
    Yeah i would not expect to show something too, don´t believe it´s faulty hardware... i´ts like the finger positions are locked in one position by software variables state. Sometimes it´s unocked by pressing or touching another button, at least it´s how is happening to me
  • e_m_d88e_m_d88 Posts: 368
    Trinity
    RMA sounds like the only option now. 
    ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S, i5 6600K. 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3000 MHZ. SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256 gigs. WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU. Inatech 4 port USB 3.0.  Rift + Touch.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    e_m_d88 said:
    That´s the support official position, but zCatalyst made RMA and did no solve the question, Anderas replaced the touch AND the whole system build and nothing, still experiencing the problem
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Kirshaw said:
    e_m_d88 said:
    That´s the support official position, but zCatalyst made RMA and did no solve the question, Anderas replaced the touch AND the whole system build and nothing, still experiencing the problem
    Agree with you!
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I took these pictures to show you guys the gestures' issue I'm having with these brand new outstanding Oculus touch controllers.  :/
    The controllers were on the table as you can see in the picture below, I was not touching them when I took the print screens

1)

2) Running Dead and Buried, the right index finger points straight as it is supposed to do.

3) But running Facebook Spaces, it doesn't point straight ahead.

I opened another support ticket and I really hope they do not mention anything about replacement. 

Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I noticed it by end of april, don´t know if there was a change of the touch codes programming after that period... best course of action would be a march oculus home version rollback to test it