cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Games Taking Long Time To Load

studlygoorite
Expert Protege
Hello, all my games take longer to load now than they did when I purchased the Rift, I always get the popup that says "blank game is taking too long to load"....or something similar but it has become annoyingly long. I have moved my Oculus and my games to my "E" drive (3TB HDD) but my "C" drive is a 500 GB SSD. Just wondering if anyone has run into this and is it just the difference between the SSD to the HDD..(anyone else not on an SSD and not on "C" drive notice this?)...if so, I will move everything back. Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

cybereality
Grand Champion
I've seen this happen on some games, especially larger ones like The Climb. As long as the game eventually starts I wouldn't be too concerned with the load times as this is not abnormal.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Hello, all my games take longer to load now than they did when I purchased the Rift, I always get the popup that says "blank game is taking too long to load"....or something similar but it has become annoyingly long. I have moved my Oculus and my games to my "E" drive (3TB HDD) but my "C" drive is a 500 GB SSD. Just wondering if anyone has run into this and is it just the difference between the SSD to the HDD..(anyone else not on an SSD and not on "C" drive notice this?)...if so, I will move everything back. Thanks

So, you've moved them from a fast SSD to a slow spinny drive, and now they're taking longer to load.  Yeah, that's kinda exactly what I'd expect to happen, do you really need confirmation? 🙂

studlygoorite
Expert Protege

TwoHedWlf said:

So, you've moved them from a fast SSD to a slow spinny drive, and now they're taking longer to load.  Yeah, that's kinda exactly what I'd expect to happen, do you really need confirmation? 🙂

Did you miss the part that the "popup" keeps coming up, is this normal with slow spinny drives or was the Oculus only supposed to run on SSD?? Or did you miss the part that they are "annoyingly long to load now"??? Thanks for your helpful response, I am aware that the slow spinny drive will be slower than the SSD, this is how someone gets over 1800 posts I guess.

studlygoorite
Expert Protege

I've seen this happen on some games, especially larger ones like The Climb. As long as the game eventually starts I wouldn't be too concerned with the load times as this is not abnormal.

Thank you, wasn't sure if I had an issue with my system or not.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, the pop-up will come up after some set amount of time (I believe around 10 seconds) but some large games will take longer and you'll always see the message, even though the wait time is normal.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

WTFGamer
Protege
I bought a 1TB SSD for my games and I'm still getting the message with games like Star Trek Bridge Crew. Is there something I should check or do?

shiari
Heroic Explorer

WTFGamer said:

I bought a 1TB SSD for my games and I'm still getting the message with games like Star Trek Bridge Crew. Is there something I should check or do?

That's just what happens sometimes. ST:BC needs to start Uplay first, for example, and it doesn't matter that it's on a SSD. Your mileage will vary.

cybereality
Grand Champion
As long as the game eventually loads, I wouldn't worry about it.

TurtleHermitGam
Honored Guest
So I updated bios and now American truck simulator is stuck on taking too long to load (it worked earlier before bios update), but plays on monitor, project cars works fine I have the following with all updated drivers and software, 7700 kabylake intel cpu, evga 1080 both liquid cooled temps are all normal even under load, 32 gigs hyperx fury ram, ASUS z170-a motherboard, any input?? And no I won’t contact oculus support through the site, they are horrible