New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

VR treadmill experiences

zbosonzboson Posts: 927 Poster of the Week
edited May 3 in General
I would like to hear about peoples experience with omni directional treadmills for VR.

The two "low" cost solutions I am aware of are the
The Wizdish looks less appealing to me because it looks like you just shuffle your feet back and forth but you don't lift you feet off the ground. Is this correct? With the Virtuix it appears (from videos) you lift your feet when you walk.  Is this correct? What about jumping?  How natural does the movement with Virtuix feel? Do you feel like you are freely walking or do you have to get used to some restrictions to use the Virtuix? Would a harness attached to a ceiling help with the Virtuix?

What about other more expensive solutions or other low cost solutions I am not aware of?  What is available now to purchase and/or what will be available soon? There are a lot of youtube videos about other options but it's not clear to me what is available to purchase and what is only a prototype.

Please share any experiences you have with VR treadmills.

Comments

• zbosonzboson Posts: 927 Poster of the Week
    edited June 29
    Here are some videos I found interesting

and especially this one!

I want a virtusphere!
  • gr0bdagr0bda Posts: 134
    Art3mis
    Virtu sphere = CONGRATULATIONS YOU'VE JUST BECOME HUMAN HAMSTER!
  • CyrilCyril Posts: 1,053
    Neo
    Here's my Nintendo Wii Fit experience : I'm not fit.

It might not qualify as a VR treadmill experience, but it's certainly relevant.

As for a VR experience, there was what I would call a VVRTS (Virtual VR Treadmill Simulator), where instead of tracking your foot movement in a VR treadmill, the software would simply track the CV1's vertical head bobbing as if running on the spot in 360° mode, which worked surprisingly well, and kind of makes you wonder why you would want to track your feet with a cumbersome and expensive VR Treadmill, instead of just tracking your head bobbing...

And here's the resulting experience : I'm not fit.

At which point my conclusion is that a VR Treadmill experience comes down to how many hours you usually run per day.

As a side note : Head bobbing seemed both extremely immersive and totally VR motion sick free to me, and worked really great for covering a (very) short distance. I wish every teleportation mechanic based game had head bobbing added to it, so you could travel long distances with teleporting, and take a step forward with head bobbing.
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Posts: 710 Poster of the Week
    I've heard there are many VR experiences that involve a lot of head bobbing!
    My interest in a treadmill is not primarily about getting in shape. It's about being able to walk/run/jump in place.

So this could be used for
    1. exploration gaming
    2. aerobic training - because VR could make it more entertaining
    3. rehabilitation e.g. for an amputee with a prosthetic leg that want to improve his/her gait.
    I would plan on adding additional sensors to measure e.g. stress levels for example from heart rate and respiration.
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,392 Valuable Player

The Wizdish looks less appealing to me because it looks like you just shuffle your feet back and forth but you don't lift you feet off the ground. Is this correct? 
    Yes, I've tried the first Wizdish (quite a few times) and the best way to describe it is like skiing. You also have to wear shoes with some frictionless pads on the bottom that they provide. It is pretty fun and seems like a arcade kinda thing but i'd much rather be grounded and teleporting around since you really need to hold onto the side bars so you don't fall over, which means no hand controllers.

You can't walk/run on this but you can jump if you hold on the sides. The dish is really slippery though so I wouldn't call it safe :P
    Here is another treadmill solution. I think it's limited to walking and no strafing but does allow turning.

https://www.roadtovr.com/strider-vr-intriguing-new-omnidirectional-treadmill-solution/

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 299
    Nexus 6
    edited October 11
    This technology looks great, I would like to try all these one day, they should demo them all in Game or somewhere. 

The thing is though, as cool as they're if they cost a lot of money I don't think I'd get one unless there was a killer FPS type game to play with it. So for example, if in the future you could play battlefield type games in VR using one of these treadmills and it all worked perfectly together then I'd probably consider it. But it still seems like that's a long way off.
  • kernowkernow Posts: 668
    Trinity
    I'd much prefer a dumb version (no electronic controls) of the Virtuix Omni and use a motion tracker (such as Perception Neuron) for control instead, or just use the hand controller to move if I'm feeling too lazy to suit up in a motion tracker.

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 3,218 Valuable Player
    Nah, i've come to the conclusion that the only answer if you want to walk/run in VR is the full warehouse experience.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 2,169 Valuable Player
    Pah! The whole point of playing video games is to sit on your couch and get fat. Bollocks to this exercise nonsense! :o :p
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    I'm not interested in omni-directional treadmills for entertainment. I'm interested in them for rehabilitation training e.g. for amputees.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 2,688
    Wintermute
    edited October 13
    Nah, i've come to the conclusion that the only answer if you want to walk/run in VR is the full warehouse experience.

Have to agree.

Have used all four released systems - and though usable, they are an approximation of walking/running in VR. Redirected walking is a good compromise, but arena-scale (warehouse) is best. That said, a lot of the new eSport China projects are looking at Omni and "KAT" [edited].
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 3,218 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:

Have to agree.

Have used all four released systems - and though usable, they are an approximation of walking/running in VR. Redirected walking is a good compromise, but arena-scale (warehouse) is best. That said, a lot of the new eSport China projects are looking at Omni and KART.
    KART?  You have a link?
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 2,688
    Wintermute
    edited October 13
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959