cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this tool now dead

REDLAB_VR_1
Honored Guest
With the demise of Oculus Story Studio is this tool now going to be no longer updated?
13 REPLIES 13

kojack
MVP
MVP
According to TechCrunch:
As a part of the shutdown, Quill will continue to be available for
download in the Oculus store, but will no longer be receiving updates,
though Oculus plans to open source the software.

😞

Damn it, couldn't they move it over to the Medium team, who aren't part of Story Studio?

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer
Damn, this hadn't even occurred to me! 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable
I really, really hope they open source it ASAP, but I'm pretty bummed about the studio closing. I only just ordered a Rift only for Quill, in the last week, and now it's stalled. If I'd held off a week I would have gone Vive instead. So frustrated.

kojack
MVP
MVP
But next week Quill will still be in the same state as it was a week ago (working and available) and we still have Medium and Tilt Brush.
While Vive doesn't have Quill or Medium (Well, might work with revive, but you have to pay instead of getting them for free).
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, I'm still really glad that I invested in a Rift, even if Quill does only stay as it is...I really hope they can get the animation tools in there though, the stuff Goro Fujita was making with it looked epic!

TrancerSpacey
Protege
Very sad to hear, that Story Sudio is closed. Quill is a very cool software with a lot of potential, in my opinion better than Tilt Brush. I hope Oculus will find a way to continue developement of this awesome software.

TrancerSpacey
Protege
Medium and Quill where the two main reasons why I had bought the Rift. I'm not quite interessted in playing games. Creative applications like Quill are showing the real power of VR, they are gamechangers for creative people. VR technique is in a very early state and letting Quill go down now, would not be a wise decission for the future of this medium.

JavierVerdugo
Honored Guest
So sad... I bought RIft because Quill, Medium, and Tilt Brush... I feel Quill is the most powerful tool of this three apps.... The only thing it needs the ability to import meshes... Maybe with a grid shader so we can see the geometry because it has no lights.... 

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer
@JavierVerdugo Agreed, Tilt Brush is fun to play with but Quill is an actual tool. I'm thinking that since they're making it open source that many intrepid folks will take the lead and add those little extras we've been missing - including animation!