/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

orange light/nothing in headset/"guardian not working properly" notification

ezzaezza Posts: 17
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
Was using the cv1 with touch controllers perfectly fine yesterday.
Today its telling me the guardian system isnt working at the moment and to click to read support article (which does nothing if i click)
So i go through the configure rift/sensor setup, i get to a part where i need to put the headset on to finish up and nothing.....

I have restarted the machine, backed out of the setup and still nothing, i tired superhot which shows up on my monitor but not the rift, just the orange light.

If i put on the headset/trigger the proximity sensor it gives me a fresh guardian notification with still no video in the headset.

any ideas or solutions? i will keep working on it and post up if i figure it out but so far kinda annoyed

Comments

• XsjadiaXsjadia Posts: 325
    Nexus 6
    You might have to try to reseat the CV1's cable, both at the GFX card end and the Headset end. I would contact oculus support @ https://support.oculus.com/ as they can show you how to properly do this (hopefully through videos or pictures).
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    GTX 1080
    16 GB RAM @ 3200 Mhz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    3-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • SikySiky Posts: 23
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Hey..
    You have exactly the same problem as I do.. What a coincidence:)))
    Check this out:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52520/rift-stopped-working-after-connecting-third-sensor#latest

• ezzaezza Posts: 17
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I have checked this, also tried a monitor in the same hdmi port and it works fine.

Seems our problems are similar yes,

Oculus support doesnt want to know now they have an excuse not to care (my PC doesnt meet minimum requirements despite it working flawlessly for a week solid)

Having spent so much money on something that now does literally nothing and to have the support drop from beneath me when i need it i can say il be getting a vive if i get an opportuniuty, i hate to be that guy bitching and moaning but this isnt fair
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I think I found it guys.. give me few minutes to repeat the process and verify..
  • HouseSpecialHouseSpecial Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I am also having this exact issue.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    the suspense is killing me siky!!!!

I retract what i said about the support, they have gone on to try to help diagnose the problem, i have just sent a log to them upon request, il let you know if i get anywhere my end.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    OK here's what I've got so far..
    In my case "lovethis" recommend to unplug all Oculus devices while PC is off. Start the rig and reinstall Nvidia drivers.
    This didn't work but it was a good hint to begin with..
    If you have Nvidia Graphics try this..

Turn off your RIG and unplug all Oculus stuff..
    Boot up, uninstall Nvidia Experience first (if installed) and then Nvidia Driver..
    Restart and let the windows them self install the graphics driver .
    Launch Oculus Home and run Full setup..

Somehow this worked for me. My rift now works again until I connect the third sensor when everything goes f..ked again:(

In conclusion: The latest Nvidia driver no. 382.05 kills the rift screen for some reason..
                             The win7 default 381.89  works fine untill third sensor is connected..
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    OK cool, did you try rolling the nvidia driver back to the previous?
    i might try that first, il let you know. Failing that il try your method.

thanks!
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Yes I did and guess what..?
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    BLACK SCREEN :smiley:
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    That's why it took so long.. sorry guys:)

Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    i wont waste my time then haha
    ok wish me luck
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    @ ezza (or anybody with the same problem)
    What's your PC specs?
    Just curious as this might be hardware related.. 
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    i7 4770k
    gtx 780 sli
    8gb
    windows 10
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Mine is: 
    GTX 780 TI :)
    8gb ram
    win 7 64bit
    Intel i7 2600K @ 3.4GHz
    and most importantly Renesas USB controller on Gigabyte mobo..
    I have a felling that this the core of my problem so I ordered the recommended Inateck addon USB 3 card which will arrive tomorrow so I'll keep u posted..

How did it go with your test..?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 21,029 Oculus Staff
    I don't think it has to do with the Nvidia driver. I just installed it and it seems fine for me.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Well I did repeat the proces twice with identical results. Rift dead after newest nvidia driver installed.
    I don't know if there is a problem with the driver or something in my hardware not liking the new driver but at least we can narow and hunt this down..
    Enybody had a luck with the solution abowe?
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 120 Poster of the Week
    Its a Nvidia driver - i had a GTX760 4GB running everything smooth and stable - Steam and OcHm - Got a GTX 1060 and been trouble shooting ever since - almost about to pull the pin on whole thing. 

Log off and back on between unreal engine games - all the smaller games and apps seem fine. 

Idk i have tried so many settings and config options its becoming a painful experience. 

Maybe a good VR game " Running The Rift "
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I couldn't uninstall the Nvidia driver. I removed GeForce experience but when I tried to uninstall the driver it wouldn't let me.
    I ended up trying what oculus support told me to do which didn't work either (remove all traces of oculus home and reinstall (agian)).
    I'm struggling to figure out how to roll back the gpu drivers.
    This is a night mare to say it was working perfectly fine previously.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited May 9
    @ezza
    Yeah men, win10 won't let you do much sadly. I'm still on win7 for this exact reason.
    Try to google how to roll back the driver cause there is a big chance it is the problem.
    What is your USB controller?
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I'm not sure about us controller. But was all working fine.
    Ok see if I can roll back gpu. Any particular version to try or just the last one?
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    OK progress

Now i have a white LED inside the headset!!!!
    Oculus home takes me straight to the lens adjustment when started (where i left off), but when i trigger the sensor or put on the headset still just black screens (no back light either from what i can tell)

That was by rolling back the NVIDIA driver to 8189 (thanks @Siky )

But i think i have swapped the HDMI port and USB port so many times since i might have to now fresh install oculus home and see if that solves it

il keep you posed future person who is having the same problem
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    So it seems to be working fine again now, i just skipped the setup and it went back to the default home page, white led in the headset, put it on and there it is, all good!#

Thanks so muck for the help, i will tell the oculus support helping me with my ticket the solution hopefully can help people in future.

With my tin foil hat on i have a terrible feeling this may be a ploy to get people to buy new GPU's
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Yes you can skip the lens setup an from oculus home/settings/devices/rift/ run full setup again.
    Congrats mate, I also have a feeling that this has something to do with "Buy oculus ready Pc" strategy:) Your Pc was good enough for a year but now it won't work because it's one year older therefore weaker:))

Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    In my case "lovethis" recommend to unplug all Oculus devices while PC is off. Start the rig and reinstall Nvidia drivers.

Uninstall Nvidia Experience first and then Nvidia Driver..
    Restart and let the windows install the graphics driver them self.

Somehow this worked for me. My rift now works again until I connect the third sensor when everything goes f...ed again:(

In conclusion: The latest Nvidia driver no. 382.05 kills the rift screen for some reason..
                             The win7 default 381.89  works fine until third sensor is connected..
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)

Uninstall Nvidia Experience first and then Nvidia Driver..
    Restart and let the windows install the graphics driver them self.

Somehow this worked for me. My rift now works again until I connect the third sensor when everything goes f...ed again:(

The win7 default 381.89  works fine until third sensor is connected..
  • GrixMGrixM Posts: 35
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I also had this problem. Rolling back nvidia drivers through device manager fixed it, at least for the time being.
  • sandsousandsou Posts: 3
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited May 11
    Shouldn't have updated my Nvidia driers, wasted all the time trying to fix the Rift.

I would suggest everyone who had rolled back through Windows device manager to re-install the second-newest GeForce driver 381.89 (Apr 25, 2017) that worked: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

My card is a GTX 770, if anyone wonders.
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 120 Poster of the Week
    I did all this and to no avail - But .... 

" UNINSTALL ANTIVIRUS " - like all of it - I have spent 5 days under the hood - and this is what fixed all my myriad of issues - I'm talking every issue over my whole System and Oculus. Now Rift is smooth and SteamVR is running like a Dream.  

Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited May 11
    Yeah this is not a solution though.. 
    The antivirus is there for good reason.
    Something strange is going on as many people reporting Black screen issues and unstable USBs..
    Perhaps Oculus Support could step in and give us some general advice about what's goin on..?
    I never seen so many BSOD on my system until last week when all this problems started..