New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Nick's Sketchbook

NickOh73NickOh73 Posts: 21
Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
Just started my second sculpt... 

Comments

• CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 286
    Nexus 6
    That's epic man, nice work!
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 627
    Neo
    That is insane for just your second sculpture. Did you have much 3D modeling experience prior to Medium? 
  • MartinityMartinity Posts: 123 Poster of the Week
    edited May 13
    Looks great! 
  • NickOh73NickOh73 Posts: 21
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    DeadlyJoe said:
    That is insane for just your second sculpture. Did you have much 3D modeling experience prior to Medium? 
    Well, I'm not a modeling artist ...  not even a good painter. I'm more into filmmaking and motion graphics. I've tried to model such more complex things one or two times, but it took me like ages and I've never finished it. Medium is so much closer to the artist, it is absolutely stunning how fast and easy you can create such detailed stuff. So, I'm a little bit surprised by myself;)
    Neo
    You're not alone there. I think pretty much all of us are surprised at how much faster and better our sculpting is in Medium.
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 974 Poster of the Week
    @DeadlyJoe - glad it's not just me. Sometime feel like I've snuck into a club I don't belong in. Like, srsly, I can't actually do this shit for real. I got Medium. I'm cheating
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,363 Valuable Player
    that's amazing for your second sculpt man! Keep up the good work! :smile:
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    f***ck just thought I've finished my sculped when my gpu crashed... last save is 3 hours ago...;) I guess I need a time off now ;)
    Neo
    Crap. That sucks. I've lost my fair share of work from crashes. Lesson learned: Save frequently, even though it can take a long time on high-res sculpts. The one I'm working on right now takes over 2.5 minutes to save to SSD.
  • chuckleonechuckleone Posts: 156 Poster of the Week
    Amazing work!
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited May 20
    After changing my GPU, I'm up and running again... because the last crash I had to start over from a very early stage... 
  • CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 286
    Nexus 6
    NickOh73 said:
    After changing my GPU, I'm up and running again... because the last crash I had to start over from a very early stage... 
    Holy shit dude, great work, keep it up!
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)

some wrinkles... i've no idea how to bend the swords in an accurate way... any hints anybody?
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,363 Valuable Player
    edited May 22
    @NickOh73 That sculpt is amazing, great winkles and expression!!

I had the same problem with the sword since it curves on my sculpt. The closest I came up with was using a square to draw the basic sword shape but much thicker than you want. Then I scaled up a cube to the biggest and subtracted against each side to make it flat. I then realised afterwards I could of used one of the curved shapes to subtract from the bottom/top of the blade to make it curve, I then smoothed the edges since the sword case isn't sharp. 

If you are doing the blade you could just zoom in really close and subtract with a cube to make it sharp and get that 'sanded down' effect you have on the blade. I wouldn't do any smoothing with the blade.

TLDR: subtract out of a big block :p