cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Onward come to Home

Jamesparker_1
Expert Protege
Hi all, 

im thinking it's time to buy 'Onward' very soon. 

Just wondering if there are any plans to bring it to Oculus Home rather than steam?
15 REPLIES 15

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I think only the devs can answer that question Jamesparker. I do know there is supposed to be a future patch for the Steam addition that lets it run in Oculus mode.

falken76
Expert Consultant
I doubt it, Valve paid money to help that guy with production.  The game is only $24, why don't you just get it on Steam?  Does steam not work for most people or something?  It works fine on my machine and I don't even meet specs for rift.

DarkTenka
Trustee
I've been begging for this on the Steam Forums (or at least a Launch in Oculus VR Mode Option). The moderator on the forum came out and basically said that "it's not off the table, but not a priority right now".

It really SHOULD be a priority, because SteamVR runs like ass for a lot of Oculus Users. Maybe they are fobbing it off for exactly the reason falken says. Who knows..

Jamesparker_1
Expert Protege
Sounds like the only option is to buy on steam then! 

Dont they offer some sort of refund if you don't like a game (or I guess can't get it working properly)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

falken76 said:

I doubt it, Valve paid money to help that guy with production.  The game is only $24, why don't you just get it on Steam?  Does steam not work for most people or something?  It works fine on my machine and I don't even meet specs for rift.

SteamVR is a complete clusterfuck for most Rift users. I've lost count the number of times that I've had games crashing when launching and exiting games. Valve claim to fix the problems every now and then but their 'fixes' don't make any difference for me personally.

DarkTenka
Trustee

Sounds like the only option is to buy on steam then! 

Dont they offer some sort of refund if you don't like a game (or I guess can't get it working properly)?

Yes, you can refund any game on Steam no questions asked as long as:
- you do not have more than 2 hours of playtime logged.
- you have not owned the game for longer than a week.

If both of those factors are true, then its just a matter of logging into the support web site and clicking "refund". About a day or two later you will have your money back.

As much as I want to support Oculus/Oculus Home, this is an area where they are admittedly lacking.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Killcard - That's because some VR games are pants and the devs who created them won't get anything for them if Oculus refunded. Steam is well established so can afford to do that. Oculus Home is just starting out so they don't want to be offering refunds for some game that would likely get refunded. That's my take on it anyhow.

I just do a lot of research before I buy a game. I use simple rules like what 2D games do I like? Chances are if I don't like them in 2D, then I wont like them in 3D. I then read reviews and watch you tube videos made by people who are genuinely reviewing the game and not just selling it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

lovethis said:

@Killcard - That's because some VR games are pants and the devs who created them won't get anything for them if Oculus refunded. Steam is well established so can afford to do that. Oculus Home is just starting out so they don't want to be offering refunds for some game that would likely get refunded. That's my take on it anyhow.

Agree on this and adding: reasons a lot of games are not refundable is because of time frame of the games in general. Most games so far can be beat with in an hour or two - having a limit of 2hr log, for example, would be pretty hard to hit for some games. Now, agree, that they are getting started - so they just basically don't have everything down just yet on how they will do refunds or anything like that, but at the same time - why are people just not looking at reviews first? We live in a world of on demand videos on and product out there - so why not look at the video review first and figure out if a game is something you will enjoy first? 

If they are going to allow refunds - I think game devs should have a say in long how this works. For example, if the game is kind of short - they should put a time frame of what they think a game will take and the refund time period reflect that time frame (10% - so it's like playing a demo). With a time frame of up to to two weeks. The problem is that I'm pretty sure it might be possible to hack the log time - so it does make it a bit fishy gray area. It's not like you don't have control over your system memory to edit what it thinks or block some packets that update the server on time frame.

Anyways, I really want to see Onward on Home. So far I haven't had much luck with steam and Oculus a lot - random errors or glitches with in steam VR that makes me wanna just walk away sometimes. Plus having everything right there for the VR games makes it a lot nicer than having to jump around to different programs each time. Looks like a fun:)) but I can wait I guess to buy it.

Jamesparker_1
Expert Protege
Ok, I went for it and purchased Onward on steam. I have to say it is brilliant! 

I did wonder how holding a rifle rifle would feel when in reality it was two separate controllers but it actually was fine. 

Additionally ive been playing for a few hours with zero motion sickness.

i really should have purchased this earlier!!