/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Arguing on the internet

ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,581 Valuable Player
Scott Adams (the guy who writes and draws Dilbert) has a blog.  
In that blog he has written all sorts of things that are controversial.  Hell, he predicted Trump's election months and months (a year?) before it happened.  He's also a  published writer and trained hypnotist, among other things.  

His latest post was pretty interesting because it echoes one of my long-held axioms of forum arguments - ad hominem is the last resort of someone who is fresh out of logical responses.  Here it is for those of you who might enjoy reading it.

Scott Adams lists three other ways to tell you've "won" a political argument, but I think these apply equally to the discussions we have here on the board.  I know I've been guilty of a few of these over the years, so I'm going to try to avoid them if possible.
I guess this is fair warning that I'm going to judge others based on a few of his criteria as well.  If you commit any of these four internet argument sins, I'm going to smile and move on to another subject.

I know this may fall on deaf ears so I've prepared a quote from Arnold in his breakout role: 
"And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C Clarke

Comments

• ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,581 Valuable Player
    Not even a little surprised.   :D
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • zbosonzboson Posts: 807 Poster of the Week
    Personally, I wish there were more "Priggish Grammar Troll's" in these forums. Not the kind that try to win an argument by attacking your grammar. But the kind that attack your grammar because the are fed up seeing bad grammar.

But I am one of the last people to lecture others on grammar because I am actually an awful writer and I struggle with language.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 1,992
    Wintermute
    edited May 18
    ahh come on.. who doesn’t love a good analogy!....  I dont think it is fair to assume you have "won" the argument because your "opponent" uses an analogy.  I usually use them to try and lighten the mood and put a bit of humour in there... but in other times, if a person is seemingly being totally blind to what i consider a totally rational and logical view (but then i would think that if it is my view), then sometimes i think an analogy may frame something in a manner they will understand more.

example....
    (and its relevant because the link mentions a plumber).

A heart surgeon trying to explain to a plumber about the heart surgery he is about to perform, may infact get his point across more if he was to mention to the plumber its a bit like a leaky non return valve in some pipe work
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,131 Valuable Player
    zboson said:
    Personally, I wish there were more "Priggish Grammar Troll's" in these forums. Not the kind that try to win an argument by attacking your grammar. But the kind that attack your grammar because the are fed up seeing bad grammar.

But I am one of the last people to lecture others on grammar because I am actually an awful writer and I struggle with language.
    u wot m8?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 2,499 Valuable Player
    zboson said:

I'm very attentive to grammar and syntax, but I try not to be over-zealous about correcting people. I'll edit my own posts repeatedly, even months later, if I spot a spelling error. Incorrect use of "there/their/they're" and "your/you're" drives me crazy, and "could of" makes me cringe, but really, nobody likes a grammar nazi, so I usually just let it pass.

Not to mention lack of punctuation...
    elboffor said:
    Pfft
    Not read the link (cba)
    I win because i am right
    Drops mic walks away

(Keeps looking back to see whats said)
    Boffo, you're making me twitch. :s
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 2,917 Valuable Player
    I dont, see, a problum? Seams foine to me mate, easel of a bot ok ? , and a full stop.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,374
    Neo
    for me, its not so much about "winning" but seeing the other person indirectly / unknowingly express their ignorance, then you know to ignore them.
    But it could buy me a boat
    It could buy me a truck to pull it
    It could buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 810 Poster of the Week
    For me it is none of the above

Its watching them through their downstairs windows typing away thinking they have won  :|
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Jesus mate !!!! Capital F at the start of your sentence please !!!! @nalex66 will be after your arse   :o
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 1,942 Valuable Player
    nO ned fir capsss
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 6,095 Power Poster
    edited May 18
    Arguing is like sex,

Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad.
    Sometimes there's a climax, other times an abrupt end.
    But no matter what type, when it's all said and done,
    Someone's ass was undone and you best not be the one.

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 793 Poster of the Week
    edited May 18
    When reading the thread title I was sure I was gonna see the ole politically incorrect meme.

Color me surprised :smile:

You missed D  :*
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,581 Valuable Player
    I see what you did there.  One like for you, sir.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 170
    Art3mis
    Techy111 said:
    You missed D  :*
    I never miss the D
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 2,050 Volunteer Moderator
    I gave up political debate online, some people are just unable to see a different perspective than their own.
    Core i7-7700k | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 
  • WildtWildt Posts: 793 Poster of the Week
    Is this the thread where we can all just argue like toddlers with an extended vocabulary without acutally going off topic or being inappropriate?
    Wildt said:
    Is this the thread where we can all just argue like toddlers with an extended vocabulary without acutally going off topic or being inappropriate?
    Yes.

Thanks to Zoomie... there is no bottom to worse.
    Isn't there a worserer? That's a Tenacious D then ?  ;)
    Techy111 said:
    That's a Tenacious D then ?  ;)

edited May 18
    I do like the D my favourite movie of all time is the POD  :)

*Edited due to bad spelling otherwese o'd bo in thee shite*