/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

No Rift 2 for at least 2 years!

Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 1,583
Project 2501
edited May 19 in General
Holy longevity batman.

"Both Oculus and HTC are looking to make meaningful advancements before committing to a new generation of hardware, and it takes time for the components to reach a level of affordability and production-readiness. Iribe believes the current Rift has a long life ahead; it won’t be superseded for “at le
ast the next two years", and will remain relevant after the fact. “I think you’ll see even beyond that, a lot of people will be using this first [generation]”.

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-cv1-superseded-new-version-least-two-years-rift-2-cv2/

That's far beyond what I ever would of predicted.

Comments

• Roming22Roming22 Posts: 130
    Art3mis
    I would have hoped to see an incremental iteration sooner, with pretty much the same tech except:
    - 1600x1600 screens (double the pixel count)
    - inside-out tracking

Then in another 4-5 years a "ground breaking" iteration with even more pixels, and all the latest advances in wireless, foveated rendering, etc.

I'm also afraid the interest around VR will die if it is not kept alive by regular releases of new state of the art hardware.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 6,829 Power Poster
    Roming22 said:
    I would have hoped to see an incremental iteration sooner, with pretty much the same tech except:
    - 1600x1600 screens (double the pixel count)
    - inside-out tracking

Then in another 4-5 years a "ground breaking" iteration with even more pixels, and all the latest advances in wireless, foveated rendering, etc.

I'm also afraid the interest around VR will die if it is not kept alive by regular releases of new state of the art hardware.
    That's what Apple tries to do, and I think it's silly. If anything like that needs to occur then let it happen to MobileVR and console-VR.

PCVR wears big boy pants; it doesn't need to change diapers frequently like them kiddie techs :p
    Unbanned but never Unbaned.

• RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,521 Valuable Player
    And no Vive 2 either. You should also have put that into the title.
    Not that I havent postet that in another thread:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/520870/#Comment_520870
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
    However. 2 years are too long for not releasing an improved HMD. Because there are competitors that don't wait.
    My prediction still remains: We will have a Rift 2 by the end of 2018 (And a Vive 2 I guess).
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 1,649 Valuable Player
    Sounds like I was right with my prediction, although someone from Oculus (might have been Palmer..?) said that it's life would be between a mobile phone and a console, so that's 2-5 years so it wasn't difficult to predict.

We'll have 2 x 2K screens, a slightly increased FOV and foveated rendering on the Rift CV2 in Q4 2019/Q1 2020, then the CV3 with 2 x 4K screens around 2022/2023.

And of course HTC won't be releasing their CV2 anytime soon, they're too busy making money from idiots forking out $99 for the strap it should have come with in the first place, $99 for the Tracking Pucks that the vast majority of developers aren't going to support, $220 for the foveated rendering thing and $250 for the wireless thing too lol  :p
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,163 Valuable Player
    Hopefully we will have the oportunity to buy loads o silly add ons to make it on par with the competition beforr the next itteration is released.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    You'll have both the Rift and Vive CV2s being released at around the same sort of time I reckon. Hopefully HTC are going to take that time to come up with a design that makes the CV2 look like a final consumer ready product. They rushed the release of their CV1. The difference between the Rift and Vive in terms of aesthetics is quite ridiculous tbh. It's basically their Crescent Bay equivalent and looks fugly lol
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 1,583
    Project 2501
    edited May 19
    I'll buy new strap but doubt I'll buy the others unless the Wireless kit is amazing.
  • FlakMagnetFlakMagnet Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    Zenbane said:
    Three year cycles would be my preference. We don't need to start treating VR HMD's like cell phones.
    Amen to that!
    Atmos73 said:
    Once I've bought the Deluxe Vive strap, Wireless add-on the eye trackers some pucks and don't forget the Knuckle controllers I'm going to come here and tell you all how amazing they are hahaha.
    And then Vive 2 comes out with all parts integrated but with better resolution and FOV.
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:

PCVR wears big boy pants; it doesn't need to change diapers frequently like them kiddie techs :p
    I do agree that for smartphone, a new iteration every year is silly on a technological stand point.

I disagree that it applies to VR hardware. Because Consumer VR is so young, the pace of evolution should be impressive (c.f. from first iPhone to iPhone4) and therefore one should have a strong incentive to upgrade to a newer model every 2-3 years.

On a personal note, I'd rather have a cycle of a new product every 2.5 years and reach a milestone in 4 years, than no update between each milestone. But that's not my decision to take anyway :)
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    Three year cycles would be my preference. We don't need to start treating VR HMD's like cell phones.
    I can live with a 3 year cycle. I'd be frustrated by a 3.5/4year cycle though (which seems likely, as they say we won't see a new product before 2 years).
    Roming22 said:

I disagree that it applies to VR hardware. Because Consumer VR is so young, the pace of evolution should be impressive (c.f. from first iPhone to iPhone4) and therefore one should have a strong incentive to upgrade to a newer model every 2-3 years.
    The evolution needs to be software-driven. It has always been Software that pushes both Hardware and underlying Platforms to the limit. Right now there isn't a single VR Game (let alone multiple) that are driving the need for an HMD upgrade. I know I wouldn't pay for a new VR HMD based on what is available between Steam and Oculus Home. I haven't bothered looking at Sony's PSVR for the same reasons.

Multiple Killer Apps must come first, then there's a reason to upgrade the way we experience those apps.

• Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 1,583
    Project 2501
    edited May 19
    The thing is there's nothing stopping another manufacturer releasing a higher spec HMD and trumping both Oculus and HTC. If LG ups its res I'll be front of the queue.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,132 Poster of the Week
    Atmos73 said:
    The thing there's nothing stopping another manufacturer releasing a higher spec HMD and trumping both Oculus and HTC. If LG ups its res I'll be front of the queue.
    i have been half expecting this ever since both vive / oculus came out
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    @Atmos73 there's always an unspoken rule amongst rivals in the Corporate World. It is true for Insurance agencies, vehicle manufacturers, and even cell phone providers. Competition is allowed but always with a certain degree of constraints. Any new piece of VR hardware that hits the market may have an edge in some areas over the competition: more comfortable than PSVR, better FOV than the Vive, better hand-controllers than the Rift. But it will also have drawbacks: front-facing only, sub-par tracking.

A new player can always come in to do a few things better, but they won't do "everything" better. In that way, everyone is allowed longer cycles to compete and corporations remain friendly (no matter how much they may hate each other). It's the way of the world.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Posts: 663 Poster of the Week
    Zenbane said:
    Roming22 said:

The evolution needs to be software-driven. It has always been Software that pushes both Hardware and underlying Platforms to the limit. Right now there isn't a single VR Game (let alone multiple) that are driving the need for an HMD upgrade. I know I wouldn't pay for a new VR HMD based on what is available between Steam and Oculus Home. I haven't bothered looking at Sony's PSVR for the same reasons.

Multiple Killer Apps must come first, then there's a reason to upgrade the way we experience those apps.
    There's a reason you don't see a VR game that is driving a need for an upgrade, every game is designed already knowing what their constraints in hardware are. They tweak and shoehorn as much as they can to fit it in that envelope, but as sure as anything, if you offered them double everything on the hardware front as a target, they would fill it in a moment. There are already developers who have said they would love to convert a game they have into VR but just can't make it run at 90fps with current hardware without completely changing their game engine or reducing the visual quality.

If you build it and all that :) 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,069 Power Poster
    I can live with a 3+ year cycle--when I buy my next Rift, I want to see a significant improvement across multiple areas/features.

I just realized, I've had my Rift for exactly one year today--here's my thread from when I received it, May 19 2016.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • gr0bdagr0bda Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    2 years will fly, I just hope new hardware will be total wow! Now that I had a taste of what VR is, my expectations are GIGANTIC!
  • Stryker1000Stryker1000 Posts: 303
    Nexus 6
    I'm the same ... I'm a year old today ... and I'm happy to wait for a few years if only just to save up in order to get the newer iteration .I'm a bit old fashioned in certain respects so if  I can have a definitive release date for the new version then for me its a "Tenner in me jar per week" in order to save up for it.
    gr0bda said:
    2 years will fly, I just hope new hardware will be total wow! Now that I had a taste of what VR is, my expectations are GIGANTIC!
    You might want to lower those expectations mate. We're not going to see a huge leap of any sort next generation. All VR headset manufacturers know that the main barrier of entry for VR adoption is cost - both in terms of the HMD itself and the PC needed to run it.

We'll see 2 x 2K displays, improved optics, a larger FOV, virtually no SDE and foveated rendering. This is going to bring the cost down for those wanting to get into VR. It wouldn't surprise me if we see them selling for $400-600 and maybe being able to run on a reasonably priced laptop.

edited May 19
    Storm_Cloud said:
    There's a reason you don't see a VR game that is driving a need for an upgrade, every game is designed already knowing what their constraints in hardware are.
    That's not even remotely true... older games are being updated with VR Support playable via tools like vorpX:
    https://www.vorpx.com/supported-games/

The real reason is because quality games take time, typically 3-5 years. The history of gaming invovles software that push the limits. All you did was state the opposite without any real evidence (because there is none).

Here's another example: But can it run Crysis?
    https://www.google.com/#q=but+can+it+run+crysis

Another example: "overclocking"

• CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 280
    Nexus 6
    Yeah I'm quite pleased with this news, and it's exactly what many of us have been saying all along, specifically to the doubters who've been saying "VR sucks now, why buy something that'll be obsolete next year, blah blah..."

I'll gladly stick with my CV1 and enjoy the awesome content that will inevitably get released in the next couple years, and will be ready to buy that CV2! 
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 1,514 Poster of the Week
    Atmos73 said:
    Holy longevity batman.

"Both Oculus and HTC are looking to make meaningful advancements before committing to a new generation of hardware, and it takes time for the components to reach a level of affordability and production-readiness. Iribe believes the current Rift has a long life ahead; it won’t be superseded for “at le
    ast the next two years", and will remain relevant after the fact. “I think you’ll see even beyond that, a lot of people will be using this first [generation]”.

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-cv1-superseded-new-version-least-two-years-rift-2-cv2/

That's far beyond what I ever would of predicted.

So that means what?  3 total years from launch before a new one?  Doesn't that fall in line with the Console/Phone lifetime they had expected already?
  • WildtWildt Posts: 881 Poster of the Week
    Just vote with your wallet guys - Throw money @ HTC or whoever has a superior product on the street first.
    Wildt said:
    Just vote with your wallet guys - Throw money @ HTC or whoever has a superior product on the street first.
    Or of course you could do the sensible thing and wait until BOTH headsets are released and try them both out. The Rift has been the better headset right from the start but the Vive had motion controls 8 or 9 months before the Touch controllers came out. Once those Touch controllers came out the Rift had the better headset AND motion controllers.