cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I start non Oculus Home and Steam VR games and turn off my 2D monitor?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
How do you start steam games when wearing the Rift? I keep doing it from the desktop and it's a pain in the ass. Also, how do you install a non Oculus Home and steam VR game while wearing the Rift? I play DCS World and it's even more then a pain in the ass then Steam VR. I find myself starting DCS and then running to sit down and stick the headset on. Please can some help out. Thanks!

Edit: I have a work around for SteamVR so ignore that part!
12 REPLIES 12

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
I don't believe this is possible as of right now. Since the companies are in competition, I don't believe either one would want you to have a button to initiate the other's software.

You might be able to write a script to stall the initialization of DCS world for 10 seconds so you have time to waltz to your cockpit though 🙂
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
The Steam one is possible and has been for sometime. I just looked on Youtube and got that one sorted. Now I'm trying to find a way to start DCS World which is a non Oculus Home and Steam VR game for me. So does anyone know how to start none steam VR games? Does Virtual desktop do this and if it does would you lose some processing power due it it not being started from the DCS shortcut on your desktop?

n3cr0-0
Adventurer
I have used this method for quite sometime... sometimes the icon/thumbnail in Oculus home changes back to Discovery or whatever it is that I changed the instruction to but yeah I am quite indifferent about the picture and the button still works lol.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/48750/steam-vr-in-oculus-home

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
The problem is my Sim pit is at one end of the room and my computer is at the other end. I have my computer screen running so that I can click on the DCS World shortcut on my 2D computer screen, but I need eagle eyes to do that and I'm always shouting and cursing trying to click on it. This then prompts the missus to have a go at me because she has to come in and click on it and it's also a waste of electric if she doesn't come in and switch off my computer screen LOL. 

There must be an easier way around this tomfoolery. Doesn't Oculus Home have some secret desktop mode or something? @cybereality do you have a suggestion?

n3cr0-0
Adventurer

lovethis said:

There must be an easier way around this tomfoolery. Doesn't Oculus Home have some secret desktop mode or something? @cybereality do you have a suggestion?

So I take it you don't like that work around.... how about just magnifying the icons in windows to 125 or 150% just a thought. seems easier then yelling for the wife. If either of those aren't acceptable I'm sorry but I am out of ideas for you :smile:

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@n3cr0-0 - SteamVR is alright now because I'm able to set it up in the Rift and switch off my monitor. It's the games that don't use Oculus Home or Steam VR that is the problem. Like DCS World where you click on the DCS shortcut and it starts VR, but then leaves my monitor on while I'm sat in my Sim pit. That's a total waste of electricity and every bit of energy saved is much friendly to the environment. There's noway for me to stick a monitor in the middle of my room so that I can reach it to turn it off during play. A bamboo stick wouldn't help either because it's a touch control monitor. 

Why doesn't Oculus Home allow you to switch between your desktop or do something to combat this? Your idea is great for Steam VR, but I need it for games that don't run either. Maybe @cybereality can suggest something? Or anyone else if there's something else out there that works?

cybereality
Grand Champion
No, I don't believe this is supported.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@cybereality - Would something like Virtual desktop work or would it just use more processing power while DCS World was running? I don't want to purchase it just to find out?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Possibly, I haven't really messed with it.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV