cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SteamVR games starting Oculus Home when Rift and Tracking camera are unplugged

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
Hello All,
Playing SuperHot yesterday with the Vive I noticed Oculus Home was starting up even though I was playing the Vive port with the Vive (Rift and Tracking camera are unplugged).  I am going to submit a support ticket regarding this issue as it is happening with all my SteamVR games that also support the Rift.  I will update this thread with any progress on the issue.

This has never been an issue in the past, so I am betting it snuck in one of the latest Oculus Home updates.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
15 REPLIES 15

amegas
Explorer
Hello 
i had the same  problem. Vive started OCULUS Home. 
RIFT and Sensor was unplugged. After a reboot i could use the VIVE again. (I think, it worked that way...not 100% sure)
However i switched back to the RIFT(No Problem here), and since then i did not use the VIVE. 
But i need the VIVE, soon again for my project. So thank you for investigating and submitting a ticket.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
No problem @amegas!  I was lucky and didn't have any issues playing with Oculus Home running in the background, although I imagine it is unnecissarily eating up some resources.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
Oculus Support told me to try the games with the Rift and look for any messages, which seems counterproductive.  The issue is Oculus Home running in the background while using the Vive.  Of course these games work on the Rift.  I play Radial-G on the Rift, but that doesn't mean if I try to play it on the Vive Oculus Home should be running in the background.

I am going to try a few other games that are both Rift and Vive compatible and I am willing to bet all of them will now cause Oculus Home to start when I am using the Vive.  I will continue to update this thread with any progress or lack thereof.

Chazmeister
Rising Star
This happens with all sorts of games as my mate gets this with his Vive quite a bit. Elite Dangerous is another that does it. I think if the game has the Oculus VR libraries in there then it automatically starts up OH.

I've just had this problem with the game RiME, which currently has no VR support, but it uses the Unreal engine, which seems by default to include all the VR libraries. So everytime I start up RiME it starts up both OH and Steam VR. It caused a problem where by I was getting no audio through my PC speakers as it was being sent to the Rift headphones instead, even though the Rift was not set as my default audio device.

The way around it is to bring up task manager, go to services and stop the Oculus VR Runtime Service. This will prevent OH from starting up.

Not really a fault of Oculus, so there's probably little they can do. I suppose they could always make running Oculus services at startup an option in the settings.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
@Chazmeister I appreciate the info!  The reason why I think this is an Oculus issue is due to the fact I haven't had this issue until just recently, although many of my SteamVR games have always supported both devices.  It seems only recently they decided to make a change that always starts up Oculus Home, regardless of what device you are using.

If I am using the Vive in SteamVR with a game that supports both devices, there is no reason Oculus Home should be starting up, and I shouldn't have to stop a service in task manager to get desired results.  Although it is a great workaround and I appreciate your tip.  I will most likely use this method until an actual fix is in place.  No sense in wasting RAM on a service that doesn't need to be running.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Ello ThreeDeeVision long time no see. Sorry I can't offer any help with this issue other than install the Oculus tray tool (see the sticky thread) and that gives you the option to easily turn off/on the Oculus Service.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
Hey Shadowmask!  Thanks for the tip.  Turning off the service did the job and is pretty easy, so that will work for now.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Oculus Home is started whenever the Oculus runtime is initialised.
Just having the oculus sdk libraries linked in won't start Home when a game starts. It happens when the sdk is explicitly initialised.

Even if you unplug the rift and sensors, Home will start if a game tries to start the sdk.

Steam VR uses the Oculus sdk. It will initialise the sdk if it thinks you might have a rift connected.

It's most likely that there's a problem with the way steam vr decides which sdk to use (openvr or oculus). It's possible that Oculus has changed something that conflicts with steam vr's detection of a rift connected.

I can't test (since oculus won't let us roll back runtimes), but perhaps calling init on the previous sdk didn't start home on failure, while now it does. That would mean steam vr is trying to start the rift, sees a failure, but home is started anyway since the sdk was called.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
Good call kojack, appreciate the info.  Oculus Support was quick to reply but was quick to blame Steam for the issue.  Since this issue started happening after a Oculus update, I tend to lean towards a change on their end, but what can you do.  At least I can turn off the service and the issue goes away.