cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2... 2 Years On!

charlton_3393
Heroic Explorer
2 Years ago today, on the 1st of June 2015... I received a package from Australia Post, I knew this was it... This was what I had paid 600 dollars for a week or two ago... with only relatively good faith in whether it would actually work on my system... was I crazy? Would this thing really work like the hours of researched YouTube videos had shown? Was it all just a waste of time? Oh no... it certainly was not!

From the first time I put on the headset, the lag was revolting, shuttering and jumping all over the place, vomit inducing to say the least... but it was absolutely mind blowing, yes there were pixels and a big screen door in front of me as I had kinda expected, but looking beyond the screen door I could see the outside would, right from my bedroom... Yeah... this was gonna be big.

Many more software updates, PC hardware updates, competition from Vive, new headset releases, the whole Palmer Lucky thing, third party enhancements with LeapMotion, Razer Hydra and Oculus Tray Tool, hardware breaking features and resolutions later... It is still my favorite PC peripheral....no.... electronic device that I have EVER purchased and is 100 times better than it was when I got it new. Yes the headset still "conks" out every now and then but its not a huge deal... still no idea what causes that.

Anyway, this is just an appreciation post to everyone at Oculus for supplying an obviously non-developer with a Development Kit and to never regret it...

Thank You. 🙂

P.S. Also the damn thing hasn't had a firmware update in 2 years so if you guys could get on that... that would be great :trollface:
arjgsd8zmgot.jpg
Specs: - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS - ASRock H87 Performance Motherboard - Intel Core I7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell Processor - Reference Radeon RX 480 GPU - 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM
10 REPLIES 10

Madaras
Expert Protege
Sorry to break it to you, you likely meant it jokingly, but I really doubt there will ever be a new firmware update for the DK1 or 2

charlton_3393
Heroic Explorer
Haha of course, Although I thought the trollface was an adequate enough hint 😉
Specs: - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS - ASRock H87 Performance Motherboard - Intel Core I7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell Processor - Reference Radeon RX 480 GPU - 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM

Anonymous
Not applicable
What have you done, you crazy fool..? You've just admitted on a public forum that you got a DK2 and you're not a developer. Do you know what's going to happen now..?

@cybereality The Oculus Ninja is going to sneak into your house and take it away from you!!!  😮 😛

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer
br3c56rfcx6n.jpg

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
May be 2-years later, but the DK2 is still doing sterlling service in our sector 😉

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
I find it difficult to believe sometimes that this all started 5 years ago with that Kickstarter. Time has gone REALLY quickly, just seems like yesterday!  😮

charlton_3393
Heroic Explorer

snowdog said:

What have you done, you crazy fool..? You've just admitted on a public forum that you got a DK2 and you're not a developer. Do you know what's going to happen now..?

Bahaha, I like to live dangerously :lol:

snowdog said:

I find it difficult to believe sometimes that this all started 5 years ago with that Kickstarter. Time has gone REALLY quickly, just seems like yesterday!  😮

Ah yes, the days of our VR-ginity :lol: I am hoping that when they finally do drop support completely for the DK2 that they release some sort of "firmware" update that removes Oculus software and makes the headset open source, similar to what they did with DK1, at least it wouldn't become a brick then.

kojack
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Unless you are waiting for a Stem and a PrioVR. Those years have been dragging on a bit. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

snowdog said:

Unless you are waiting for a Stem and a PrioVR. Those years have been dragging on a bit. 🙂

We REALLY need a 'LMFAO' button for when a 'LOL' isn't big enough 😄