/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Rift Wire Tangling Solution

aparsons671aparsons671 Posts: 45
edited May 2014 in General
Using the Rift while standing and spinning around results in getting tangled in the 3ft USB, the power cord and the HDMI/DVI cable. That is the one drawback to it that I had to find a solution with. After a bit of thinking, I figured out that if the Rift included a slip-ring in the data cable from one end to the other, my solution would be fool proof, but it works well enough as it is.

Basically, I thought about VR arcades when I want to Disney and tried their Aladdin Carpet Ride VR experience, we were given a HEAVY headset that is slightly suspended from above. I figured that might be worth trying, so, my wife working at Wal-Mart brought home 2 Screw Eyes and 2 Spring-Loaded D-Rings. I put the Screw Eyes in the ceiling about the length that would suspend the Rift at head-height if I were 4'5' and I can use it at my height with some slack in the suspended wire which was about 2.5' apart. I took the D-Rings and clipped them through the screw eyes with the narrow part at the ceiling-side. I then clip the Rift cable into the D-Rings and tried it out. IT FRIGGIN WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!! The one thing I will improve upon is to make a clamp of some sort to hold the box to the ceiling and hold the cables up and relieve the stress from the cables that wants to pull them out of the sockets (velcro tie should work well).

Oh, and an extension cord to bring the power adapter closer to the box as well as a USB extension cable and a 9' HDMI cable was needed to get the various signals up to the box, but there are extension pieces you can buy for the power, HDMI and USB cables to ensure you have enough no matter what you need. I suppose you could also create a Hangman-type arm that would support the cabling as well instead of using your ceiling, but I have low ceilings and I'm somewhat tall, so height was a consideration.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, here you go.

11228866435_94af3b0251_c.jpg
Aaron Parsons
Developer of the FPS Revolution
Site Under Development

Comments

• morenosubamorenosuba Posts: 135
    Art3mis
    Using the Rift while standing and spinning around results in getting tangled

...dude you are the kind of guy i want at my parties :D.

i don't think i've even gotten out of my chair yet. and that you have is a pretty insane set up....that would be a riot explaining to people what those hooks in the ceiling are for...:D
  • TWhiteTWhite Posts: 363
    Oh lord, seeing your poor Rift dangle there by the wire... feeling so many cringes from that.

I have thought of this exact setup in my head months ago, and one thing always bothered me: wouldn't the wires get taught from twisting over and over? Eventually causing damage?
    CPU: i7 3770k 4.6Ghz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 780
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,805
    Trinity
    Those are the things I'd be worried about too, TWhite. I've heard of that cable coming apart where it meets the Rift! Maybe if there were a way to strengthen it....
    TitansOfSpacePlus_CoverArt_VRLandscape5_60p.png
  • 360FOV360FOV Posts: 476
    Hiro Protagonist
    If this thing gets twisted around your neck and you trip it could be game over but in real life instead of the game. :lol:
    “My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"
  • lmulliganlmulligan Posts: 12
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Nice work, another solution is get a solid microphone stand thats got a bit of weight to it :) works a treat
  • Well, yeah...As you spin around and around, the cable will twist and untwist with your spinning, but, as long as you take breaks once in a while and take the Rift off and untwist the wires, that shouldn't be a problem. Also, I was thinking of getting like a wire/string to attach to the Rift, run it through the hooks and put a weight on the other end that was a bit more than the Rift itself. That weight would essentially suspend the Rift without hanging on its own cord with it pulling on the cords at the side of the Rift headset.
    Aaron Parsons
    Site Under Development
  • 360FOV wrote:
    If this thing gets twisted around your neck and you trip it could be game over but in real life instead of the game. :lol:

Those hooks are screwed into drywall with nothing else (no studs) holding them up, so if you put too much weight on the Rift, you'll either pull the cords out of the control box or Rift, but probably before that, you'll pull the hooks out of the ceiling, so hanging yourself wouldn't be possible. The hangman arch, though, if you weren't putting the hooks into the ceiling, would definately be a worry. At that point, you'd want to look into breakaway hooks that with a certain amount of force, they snap open releasing their payload. Magnetic things would NOT be a good idea as MAGNETS + ELECTRONIC DISPLAYS = PROBLEM.
    Aaron Parsons
    Site Under Development
  • PVS1PVS1 Posts: 140
    i find your solution a bit extreme.

to each their own, of course.
  • PVS1 wrote:

When you see my project in time and how it acts with the Rift, you'll see why the tangling is a major problem with the Rift cables for me. I'm not sitting in a chair looking 45 degrees either side while using a mouse/keyboard to move. I'm using a wireless controller that I built and doing multiple 360s in both directions as I'm gaming.
    Aaron Parsons
    Site Under Development
  • LiquidpinkyLiquidpinky Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    TWhite wrote:
    Oh lord, seeing your poor Rift dangle there by the wire... feeling so many cringes from that.

I have thought of this exact setup in my head months ago, and one thing always bothered me: wouldn't the wires get taught from twisting over and over? Eventually causing damage?

Actually the way he has the Rift supported as it is shown is possibly the best solution to let the cable naturaly untwist and return to its correct state and you would struggle to fing a way to beat it.
    I will often hold my headset up by the cable to let it untangle on its own.
    The only way to really improve it would be to use the retracting winches used by production line workers for holding batter screwdrivers etc, you could then set the perfect torque for holding the weight but allow for falls and other mishaps. This sort of item. mio-retractable-cable.jpg
    My only real concern would be the actual weight eventually splitting the cord from the HMD unit itself, all depends on how well engineered and fitted the cord grip is inside the headset.
  • As promised, an update with the Rift no longer hanging by weighting down the data cable..

I took some beading 7-stranded wire and attached it to a few cross members in the light blocker at the top creating an arch. I tied double knots on either end so as to ensure it not coming loose easily. Then a longer strand was attached near the midpoint, but it can be slid to either side wherever works better for you and ran through the screw eyes. The other end was placed about the same height as the Rift itself and a loop made where I attached a rude counterweight, in this case a 25' tape measure I had laying around. Turns out, its almost EXACTLY the same weight as the Rift with the friction going through the screw eyes causing them to balance perfectly. If I raise the Rift, it stays in place, lower it the same.

All that is left is to find a way to mount the box to the ceiling and prevent the cables from pulling free by relieving the tension.

Hanging high with slack on the data cable
    11236669035_cf46219ec8_c.jpg

Hanging low with little slack, but still no weight on data cable
    11236700956_1b8b3f255e_c.jpg

Closeup of Rift
    11236684065_43675575b9_c.jpg

Going through the Screw Eye not the D-Ring
    11236691165_8d4cb7248f_c.jpg
    Aaron Parsons
    Site Under Development
  • PVS1PVS1 Posts: 140
    PVS1 wrote:

When you see my project in time and how it acts with the Rift, you'll see why the tangling is a major problem with the Rift cables for me. I'm not sitting in a chair looking 45 degrees either side while using a mouse/keyboard to move. I'm using a wireless controller that I built and doing multiple 360s in both directions as I'm gaming.

ah i missed the part about spinning. my bad.

just a heads up though. this:

11236684065_43675575b9_c.jpg

i can see that you have fishing line to support the weight, but still: if you must have it hanging like this, imho you need to find a way to reenforce the base of this wire. its very delicate, so if it fatigues, you're kinda ****ed. i know firsthand. in my case it was the fault of the manufacturer (they packed it with the wire bent) but i dont think they'll be forgiving if you're the cause of it.
  • This is great. I'm looking at doing something similar using a gantry to suspend from.

Did you have any issues with the length of HDMI extension cables? I noticed your cable was 9', was this the longest cable you had? I've tried a 5 metre cable but this didn't work.
  • GizmotweakGizmotweak Posts: 734
    is that piano wire?

I hope you don't lose an ear or more from rapid rotation.

That setup just screams ONE MILLION HIT YOUTUBE VIDEO COMING SOON to me.
    This space available for advertising.
  • BlackMageBlackMage Posts: 44
    An alternate solution would be a microphone boom, which is designed to hang things above you without being a permanent fixture. It would be easier to tear down and put back up if you don't want it dangling there all the time.
  • JuneJune Posts: 34
    I use Sugru to reinforce cables, it has a bit of flex, so I imagine ir helps protect and distribute the stress on cable joins
  • RonsonPLRonsonPL Posts: 1,096
    Trinity
    I see in my crystal ball, that you can go to "VR accessories" section and choose your ready-to-go hardware.

I won't mind installing a quite complicated system on my ceiling.
    I hope we'll see complete solutions, from cheap to a little more expensive.
    The more expensive could have a camera tracking the position.
    Now, with this information, a simple computer could determine the proper cable length of the cable, and correct it in real-time so no cable will collide with my hands.
    It should be never too short, and should be always right above my head, 100% vertical.
    That should not be that expensive - a cheap camera, some low-performance CPU equipped mobile computer and that's all.
    Just the metal rails etc. and a quiet motor would add a significant cost, but I would buy it for years or decades so not a great tragedy for my wallet. And it's better than waiting 20 years for wireless technology to catch up.

Maybe someone will jump out with something like this on Kickstarter, so the price could be lowered?
    I feel a little sick watching the projector screens price difference - manual vs. motor.
    From this companies I wouldn't expect low prices. We might need to create a "enthusiast for enthusiasts" manufacturer. I really hope for such kickstarter. It would be best to utilize a widely available metal parts, since delivery from another country (or continent) might "slightly" bump the price ;)
    Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore.
    Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash.
    Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.
  • LNRrgBLNRrgB Posts: 32
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I have been pondering what possibilities there might be from gutting something like this.

Toss away (repurpose) the hammock hullabaloo, and rig up some supporting system for the Rift. Might be of similar use for those who use the Rift while sitting.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 21,372 Oculus Staff
    LNRrgB wrote:
    I have been pondering what possibilities there might be from gutting something like this.
    Totally reminds me of the Lawnmower Man!

LawnmowerMan1.jpg

Only $50 too.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV