New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Arktika.1 - Release Day - 10/10/2017

SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 299
Nexus 6
edited October 10 in Games and Apps
Hi there, really excited for this game, is anyone else waiting for this game too? And do we know a release date, price, game mechanics etc?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 416
    Trinity
    I suspect that the nodal  teleportation system will not be well received. I'm not  excited because of this issue. 
  • ogflatlanderogflatlander Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    I am looking forward to this despite the teleportation system.  No release date but I tweeted to 4A congratulating them on Exodus and asking about release date for Artika 1 and they just said as soon as we have any updates we'll publish them to or 4A game pages.  

4A has a way of sucking you into the world with the Metro series so I am hoping this is not going to be any different......hopefully.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 416
    Trinity
    4A has a way of sucking you into the world with the Metro series so I am hoping this is not going to be any different......hopefully.
    I wish they  had remade Metro 2033 game in VR.  
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 299
    Nexus 6
    MowTin said:
    Oh yeah that would be awesome! Hopefully they will! :)
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 299
    Nexus 6
    How much do you reckon they will charge for this game?
  • NacaryusNacaryus Posts: 177
    Art3mis
    MowTin said:
    Oh yeah that would be awesome! Hopefully they will! :)
    this could be a good answer to doom and fallout VR
  • ogflatlanderogflatlander Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    I am thinking/hoping $39.99.  Couldn't see higher than $49.99.

Nacaryus - I was thinking that too.  Hoping we get some more info on the length of the game and if there is any exploration involved.
  • lovethislovethis Posts: 3,227 Poster of the Week
    edited June 28
    If it's teleportation only then it won't be on my to buy list. If I had known that lots of games were going to be teleportation only then I'd have thought twice before buying a VR headset. Good job there are sims like DCS World.
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 369
    Nexus 6
    No buy for me as these developers plow on with the dumb teleportation only. 
  • n3cr0-0n3cr0-0 Posts: 185
    Art3mis
    I cant get into teleportation lately, after being fully submerged into dead effect 2 and wow almost 80 hours on Pavlov VR. I was really looking forward to arktika 1 and have mentioned in the past that I will be buying it as soon as it drops. I hope this late late release is because they will explore a full locomotion. I can dream can't I? Ugh I so hope it wont be teleportation but will buy regardless. Mages tale was such shit I haven't seen a more poorly locomotion attempt, I kinda feel like node teleportation would have been better; really wish I could get my money back for mage's tale.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 7,765 Power Poster
    edited July 1
    This game looks fantastic:

This will definitely be on my list. I prefer free movement but Teleportation is easy enough to perform so I won't let misplaced "gamer ideals" prevent me from a quality VR experience. Afterall, games like Call of the Starseed and Robo Recall are amazing experiences based on Teleportation movement.

Maybe the dev's will update Arktika with locomotion, but if not, oh well who cares. Learn to adjust or move along.

This game looks VERY polished.

Unbanned but never Unbaned.

Art3mis
    edited July 1
    Good point Zenbane RoboRecall was awesome. You kinda got my hopes up again for this title. TY sir!
    edited July 1
    n3cr0-0 said:
    Good point Zenbane RoboRecall was awesome. You kinda got my hopes up again for this title. TY sir!
    I do hope the dev's will give people the free locomotion option, but it would be a shame to let these types of games pass us by simply because one single feature isn't "ideal" right? For me personally, my best gaming moments in VR have come from Teleportation-based games. It's not like I just loooovve me some Teleportation (lol), it merely seems as if, for some reason, the developers making VR games put more heart n' soul in to the titles that focus on Teleportation.

Perhaps it is just a coincidence, but some of my most memorable experiences involve Teleportation-based titles:
    • Farlands
    • Call of the Starseed
    • Robo Recall

Of course, I can talk all day about my free-movement favorites, such as Eve Valkyrie, Elite Dangerous, Albino Lullaby, Robinson the Journey, Obduction; to name a few. I love them all in their unique snowflake way. But there was just something about those Teleportation games that stuck in my mind not only during the gameplay... but long after.

Art3mis
    edited July 1
    The longest game that stuck with me was edge of nowhere, but the free locomotion of Pavlov just has me daydreaming about on how I can become better. This is why I use this game so much in example of what free locomotion should be.

When you can straight up stab someone online up the asshole with your knife you get a sensation of realistic dominance. (omg what have I become >.< ) LOL

EDIT **Yes edge of nowhere was free locomotion but 3rd person***
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    This game looks fantastic:

This will definitely be on my list. I prefer free movement but Teleportation is easy enough to perform so I won't let misplaced "gamer ideals" prevent me from a quality VR experience. Afterall, games like Call of the Starseed and Robo Recall are amazing experiences based on Teleportation movement.

Maybe the dev's will update Arktika with locomotion, but if not, oh well who cares. Learn to adjust or move along.

This game looks VERY polished.

Zenbane in 'this vr game is going to be amazing' shocker :D whatever they are paying you it is not enough. 
    Art3mis
    nooope this game does look fricken amazing I been daydreaming about arktika 1 for a long long time
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 100
    Art3mis
    Yea same here on the dreaming about it. 4A games makes quality stuff. I have no doubt it will be epic. 
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 100
    Art3mis
    n3cr0-0 said:
    I cant get into teleportation lately, after being fully submerged into dead effect 2 and wow almost 80 hours on Pavlov VR. I was really looking forward to arktika 1 and have mentioned in the past that I will be buying it as soon as it drops. I hope this late late release is because they will explore a full locomotion. I can dream can't I? Ugh I so hope it wont be teleportation but will buy regardless. Mages tale was such shit I haven't seen a more poorly locomotion attempt, I kinda feel like node teleportation would have been better; really wish I could get my money back for mage's tale.
    The teleportation in mage's tale can be pretty frustrating when trying to make minor movement but, I found the game to be worth the hassle. There's so many secrets throughout the game and it was entertaining trying to find them. (Some are hilarious)

When I needed to make minor adjustments I used the fast teleport instead of the quick hopping one and it seemed to work better. 
    Art3mis
    pyroth309 said:
    The teleportation in mage's tale can be pretty frustrating when trying to make minor movement but, I found the game to be worth the hassle. There's so many secrets throughout the game and it was entertaining trying to find them. (Some are hilarious)

When I needed to make minor adjustments I used the fast teleport instead of the quick hopping one and it seemed to work better. 
    Yeah I found the one step motion to be horrid. I dunno I see a ton of reviews that people say they love it but I simply hate it. The story to me isn't that interesting and the teleportation is blah. I use the long distance teleport mostly but in a battle I use the one step (I really dislike the one step).

Thanks for your input though, trying to make my 40 bucks spent worth something, but I just cannot get into that game.
    n3cr0-0 said:
    The longest game that stuck with me was edge of nowhere, but the free locomotion of Pavlov just has me daydreaming about on how I can become better. This is why I use this game so much in example of what free locomotion should be.

When you can straight up stab someone online up the asshole with your knife you get a sensation of realistic dominance. (omg what have I become >.< ) LOL

Ah yes, Edge of Nowhere was an obsession of mine for about 2 weeks. When it was first released people kept complaining about the "idea" that the 3rd Person camera was "fixed position." But it was premature complaining (similar to some of the posts in this very thread); as people had not yet realized there was some unexpected and enjoyable freedom of movement:

The camera let you walk around the area and explore, and I loved looking over my main characters shoulders often.

Art3mis
    I so Fawking loved that game! When I first saw the announcement I thought to myself that VR should always be first person view, but the story line lured me in without regret <3
  • NacaryusNacaryus Posts: 177
    Art3mis
    VR could add a lot of value to 3rd person games, i just imagined now, going through God of War finishing move sequences in VR would be awesome

n3cr0-0 said:
    I so Fawking loved that game! When I first saw the announcement I thought to myself that VR should always be first person view, but the story line lured me in without regret <3 
    And the great thing about Edge of Nowhere is that the camera put the player in first person view when it mattered most: during the awesome cinematic storyline progression.

Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    n3cr0-0 said:

Ah yes, Edge of Nowhere was an obsession of mine for about 2 weeks. When it was first released people kept complaining about the "idea" that the 3rd Person camera was "fixed position." But it was premature complaining (similar to some of the posts in this very thread); as people had not yet realized there was some unexpected and enjoyable freedom of movement:

The camera let you walk around the area and explore, and I loved looking over my main characters shoulders often.

3rd person has had no where near the same negativity as lack of free locomotion has. Sure maybe at the very start but that was mainly from those who didn't even have vr or try the game. We have all experienced teleporting & its a distain for many of us. 3rd person is something that is accepted in vr, it doesn't inhibit gameplay like teleport & rarely complained about. Most negativity around edge of nowhere  was its repetitive gameplay. 
    This game will be great for a few hours & then just be the same as all the rest of the stand & shoot games. Its fun, its sometimes exhilarating but it will have little depth & therefore not much in the way of attachment or emotional content. There was a time when i would automatically purchased a game that looked polished now unless it progresses VR in some way i'll hold onto my money. 

edited July 1
    If teleportation was such a disdain for many people, then Robo Recall would not have received such outstanding acclaim. There is a huge disconnect between the people who actually play and enjoy games versus those who simply complain on the internet.

You can describe teleportation games in a way that implies they are repetitive, but the fact is that even first-person free-movement games are mind-numbingly boring, monotonous, and repetitive. All you are doing is Theorycrafting @nrosko

Art3mis
    edited July 1
    Zenbane said:
    If teleportation was such a disdain for many people, then Robo Recall would not have received such outstanding acclaim. There is a huge disconnect between the people who actually play and enjoy games versus those who simply complain on the internet.

You can describe teleportation games in a way that implies they are repetitive, but the fact is that even first-person free-movement games are mind-numbingly boring, monotonous, and repetitive. All you are doing is Theorycrafting
    well RoboRecall may have been a success, it was also free and even in these forums people were complaining about the locomotion. Devs should use the teleport system as a stepping stone not as a crutch, the community has evolved from it's first claims and we have now witnessed the glory of free locomotion (hence why Doom BFG VR is so well recieved and recommended) We need to move forward already. Can you argue that free locomotion isnt a lot more immersive than teleportation done right such as RoboRecall? If you can then I strongly disagree with you.
    edited July 2
    n3cr0-0 said:
    well RoboRecall may have been a success, it was also free and even in these forums people were complaining about the locomotion.
    The fact that it was free has nothing to do with the success of the game; it was very well received by the VR Gaming Industry overall. Pointing out that people on these forums complained doesn't really add anything new to the discussion since I already stated:
    There is a huge disconnect between the people who actually play and enjoy games versus those who simply complain on the internet.

People complaining on a forum is about as valid a reference as angry YouTube comments. They are both meaningless noise.

Regardless of online complainers... let's leave free games and leave Oculus exclusives altogether:

Raw Data - Teleportation Movement
    This game received a few awards and has over 1,000 Positive Reviews on Steam
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/436320/Raw_Data/

Here's a Reddit review that praises Raw Data's teleportation movement:
    As someone who feels teleporting is really immersion breaking, I found that raw data's to be very satisfying. Just wanting to put it out there for anyone one the fence.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4sx68l/raw_datas_teleport_system_is_good/

Call of the Starseed - Teleportation Movement
    Over 600 Positive Reviews on Steam
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/270130/The_Gallery__Episode_1_Call_of_the_Starseed/

Call of the Starseed is a personal favorite of mine, and Teleportation didn't hamper immersion at all.

n3cr0-0 said:
    the glory of free locomotion (hence why Doom BFG VR is so well recieved and recommended) We need to move forward already.

Doom BFG VR takes a game that was already built (Doom 3 development began in 2000 - 17 years ago!), and add's VR support. You ask for moving forward but then reference something from the past? C'mon now! That's the same issue with Skyrim VR and Fallout VR. We aren't exactly moving forward by going backward lol.

And to answer your question: I do not believe that movement has anything to do with immersion. As long as the movement happens without destroying your eyeballs, then immersion is just fine. Which is why games like Raw Data were so well received by the Industry as a whole and gamers themselves.

Art3mis
    edited July 2
    yeah okay Pavlov dead effect 2 and onward as examples. I never been more immersed than I was in those games and I try to enjoy every title I own ... sooooo yeah

The most hours I have invested is in those 3 games that I examples more so than any other.... sooo yeah great that you think teleport is the way of the future but I do not. You may not believe but I have felt the most immersion in free locomotion and Pavlov doesn't even have a fricken story line its online team deathmatch.
    @n3cr0-0 I never actually said that teleportation is the future, so at this point you are arguing something that was never presented.

The only time I mentioned the future was in reference to you trying to present a game that took 17 years to build and is now being modified for virtual reality. So you may believe that the future involves retrofitting older games with VR capabilities, but I certainly do not.

Art3mis
    I'm actually not arguing, all I am saying is that free locomotion is more immersive. If you wish to debate any further I'm sorry I will not go further then that statement. Have a good night :)