cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So far the worst $500 I've ever spent.

Eibon76
Explorer
MSI laptop, Windows 10 64 bit, GTX 1050Ti graphics, 16GB memory

Downloaded the software and started to install.  Was told that even though the HDMI cable was connected, to use a different port for best results.   My laptop has 1 HDMI port, no more.

Continued to install.  XBox controller would not sync no matter how many times I tried, put in new batteries, etc.  Hopeless.  Finally decided to skip the damn controller and continue.

Finished installing and connecting everything.  And guess what?  Audio, but no video at all in the glasses.

Sending this back tomorrow.   Can't understand why they sell a "consumer" version if it doesn't work so frequently.  For $500 I expect a hassle-free fun experience, not the headache I have now.

104 REPLIES 104

elboffor
Consultant
My guess is your laptop hdmi wasnt using your 1050 card.
Try changing your settings
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Did you try the compatibility tool to see if your laptop is even Rift compatible? Most laptops are not, because the HDMI port only connects to the Intel HD onboard graphics rather than the Nvidia GPU.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Eibon76
Explorer
Yes, compatibility tool checked out fine. 

I have no idea how to change the settings on this graphics card.  If it's such an issue shouldn't Oculus include instructions?

Expediter
Expert Protege
To use a rift or any vr for that matter will require troubleshooting pc issues. If you own a pc you know this to be true with MANY products built for pc. The good thing is most people on here or other forums are always happy to help. I completely understand your frustration I have been there many times back in the day. I assure you VR is not a waist of money it's a lot of fun. Try posting a question on the forums and see if someone can help. 

In the future I recommend you build your own pc and. It buy a pre made one or a laptop. 

Eibon76
Explorer
I bought a laptop that advertised itself as providing VR.

I bought a headset from a company that said my laptop could run their headset.

To me, that's the end of the story.  I emailed for support and got poorly written canned answers.  I ordered an adapter to see if that will work with the HDMI but who knows.  If it doesn't work this is going back.

BrokenSymmetry
Heroic Explorer
Try an external display using the hdmi port. Could be a faulty port.

Eibon76
Explorer
Even if I manage to get the headset to work nothing will run properly.

Tried "bigscreen."  Got this: http://imgur.com/a/s86YL

Tried Google Earth VR.  Got this: http://imgur.com/a/FdYFM

How can they sell this to the public when nothing works?

Eibon76
Explorer
Compatibility report:

http://imgur.com/a/SAl1Q

cybereality
Grand Champion
Does the laptop have any other video output (such as DisplayPort)? It may be the the HDMI port does not connect to the 1050 Ti card. In general, laptops can be problematic but it's odd the compat tool said everything was OK so maybe there is a way to make it work.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV