cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preta Vendetta Rising Gameplay - Available Now Early Access - Cool Game

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Hi there folks, I know Paradise Decay posted a (world exclusive) video of this game already with his usual commentary but he didn't delve too deep into the game and only touched the surface. Having invested over 6 hours now I can say that this is a neat VR game however there are some caveats.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/624870/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppmWp2mDpXA

1.There's a paywall system for a lot of the content which might work with a Free-to-Play model but seems it could be a bit much for a VR game priced at £22.94 (with the 15% discount applied) normal price £26.99. If you join early access you're granted around $90 worth of free stuff which gets eaten up pretty quickly though.   It's quite possible to ignore paying for anything to progress but expect to be time locked out of missions if you repeat them too often (farming).

2. The game is quite "grindy" in that you need to raise your character CP to be able to stand a chance against the more tougher missions. Sure, you can attempt higher rated missions but prepare to get eaten alive. So, to raise CP you need to craft better gear and to craft the gear you need to get items from missions. However, you can replay missions to farm for the items you need except if you repeat Elite missions you get locked out for quite a number of hours (3 attempts every 24 hours for Elite missions only), so in reality there's only so much you can do before being locked out of the game depending on what you're after. You're not guaranteed to get the items you need each play either. Luckily you can send your companion into missions alone to try and gain items for you but even this has a time lock feature where he needs to rest to regain stamina so you can't keep sending him out over and over.

3.There seems to be no way to earn money in game to buy the paid content even if its were a slow process. You earn coins for completing missions but these aren't used for the extra content, rather for crafting items. So it feels like a pay to win scenario here.

4. This is a server based game so no offline play.

5. No motion control support although you can use them as a controller. Not that it's really needed in this type of game.

6. According to the devs if you buy this game on Oculus home you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PLAY IN 2D MODE whereas you can if you buy the Steam version.

On the plus side though.

1.This is a very comfortable VR experience although there are issues with the camera control which only offers snap turning. Sometimes it's hard to target enemies unless you do an instant 180 turn which is a little disorientating. Sure you can draw comparisons to Chronos, but they are not the same game really. This is more like an ARPG hack and slash rather than the Dark Souls like methodical combat which means it's very easy to get into. 

2.You can upgrade your character skills and save three load-outs per character which is a nice bonus. You can also switch characters at any time although will have to start over when choosing a new character (your old character's progress is saved thankfully). So there's quite a lot to aim for here to keep interest but some missions are pretty tough early on.

3.Visually, it looks like a well polished game although at present there are no options to tweak the graphics which is a shame. There's a mixture of interior and outside locations and the behind the character view means you get a nice sense of scale. That said, it's quite a dark game in the early section. The game hints that there are more towns later on and if you believe the blurb there's some 50 hours of single player gameplay.  There's also co-op play as well where you can go on raids (see video where I solo a raid boss) together.

Preta Vendetta Rising has a lot of potential if the developer can tweak some elements to be a little more user friendly especially the time locks.  There's a solid game here already which means for VR fans it's certainly worth checking out. People who view games that don't use a first person view as true VR need to avoid.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
15 REPLIES 15

CrashFu
Consultant
Might have to check this one out sometime.  I'm a big fan of hack-n-slash games  (good ones, at least)  and I'm not bothered by a game limiting how much I can play within a certain time-frame, as long as it's not excessive  (although that is really weird to see in a $40 game... or anything other than a free-to-play, for that matter)

I just hope the combat and character-building mechanics are good.  That's generally what makes or breaks a HnS.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Anonymous
Not applicable
This also had my attention but pay to progress is stupid ?!?! Is it because there is a lack of content and people will jump in anyway?

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
You said paywall that alone makes it a nogo for me.
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Morgrum said:

You said paywall that alone makes it a nogo for me.

Developers are exploting the lack of content 😞

vanfanel
Heroic Explorer
There is no paywall.  Everything is accessible in the game without paying for anything.  There aren't any quests or things being blocked by a paywall.  There is an in-game-store for purchasing in-game currency but this basically just reduces grind time that's it.  I've spent about 15+ hours in the game without spending any money.

Its not a pay2win scenario either since there is no PvP.  Everything in the game can be obtained without paying any money.  Gold and Dark Crystals can both be obtained through quests or selling crafted gear.  Raid keys can be obtained from goblins.  You can craft gear or buy gear.  Buying gear requires raid points which you can get from raids.

If this game appeals to you and you like or don't mind the grindy nature don't get turned off by the in-game store.  You don't need it.  Here's some tips I've gathered to help beginners work their way through:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6m1grn/preta_vendetta_rising_tips_and_tricks/

Anonymous
Not applicable

vanfanel said:

There is no paywall.  Everything is accessible in the game without paying for anything.  There aren't any quests or things being blocked by a paywall.  There is an in-game-store for purchasing in-game currency but this basically just reduces grind time that's it.  I've spent about 15+ hours in the game without spending any money.

Its not a pay2win scenario either since there is no PvP.  Everything in the game can be obtained without paying any money.  Gold and Dark Crystals can both be obtained through quests or selling crafted gear.  Raid keys can be obtained from goblins.  You can craft gear or buy gear.  Buying gear requires raid points which you can get from raids.

If this game appeals to you and you like or don't mind the grindy nature don't get turned off by the in-game store.  You don't need it.  Here's some tips I've gathered to help beginners work their way through:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6m1grn/preta_vendetta_rising_tips_and_tricks/

It depends on how quick the game becomes repetative if you dont want to pay extra ! i could spend those hours in a nonVR game if it gets boring too quick !

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I don't think anyone should play down the very grindy nature of this game by way of its design. Paying money reduces the grind considerably as the developer intended.  So enjoyment is largely down to how much time you have and whether you're a sucker for replaying missions over and over, or you've enough cash to reduce the grinding.

I have 36 hours playtime according to Steam and it's been a long hard slog repeating the same missions over and over to farm for materials. It's an early access game though and I've made several suggestions to the developers so hopefully we'll see some tweaks here and there.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I think it took me about 2 months of daily pharming to take my Mage from level 59 to 60 in Dark Age of Camelot... my capacity for grinding shrank considerably after that.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Another Daoc player eh what server?
WAAAGH!