New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Echo Arena Open Beta Extended to MONDAY, JULY 17TH!

LilTrashPandaLilTrashPanda Posts: 65 Ready At Dawn
Hi everyone,

The team here at Ready At Dawn would like to extend our heartfelt thanks to you for participating in our second open beta. It’s been great hanging out with you in the lobby, seeing your feedback on Discord, the Echo Arena subreddit, and the Oculus forums, and getting our butts whooped by you in the arena!

To add to the awesome news announced earlier today (Oculus Rift + Touch sale and our recently revealed Lone Echo launch trailer), we’re also happy to share our decision to extend the final Echo Arena Open Beta until Monday, July 17th!

As many of you know, our goal for this open beta was to further test some major network updates we made, our skill-based matchmaking, and our first iteration of the Echo Arena Party system. We definitely got the backend service testing we needed (still recovering from being hugged a little too hard), however during that time our devs were re-routed to debug and resolve those errors, which put the Party system on hold. 

This extended open beta period will give the Echo Arena dev team time to further improve our backend services, and players to test out and provide feedback on the Party system. Additionally, you’ll get more time in Echo Arena to prep for launch day and hone your skills for the VR Challenger series, which we’ll be sharing more info about before too much longer.

Thank you again for all the support you’ve given us! We can’t wait to dive back into the arena with you over the next week, and again at launch on July 20th.

- Ready At Dawn

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,299 Power Poster
    Awesome!!!

You really don't want me to get anything else done this week, do you?
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • BookooBookoo Posts: 19
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Woot! I didn't get to play much over the weekend so I am excited to get some time in.
  • eldeedereldeeder Posts: 7
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Wow... Thanks guys! I finally got some time off work and it was after this beta was set to close. Obviously going to be buying this game at launch.. 
  • DrakfyreDrakfyre Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    YAAAAAAAAAAY! I am sooooo happy thank you so much!  I hope that the beta, launch, and post launch stuff treats you all well and I hope you all finally get some well-deserved rest; you are a kickass team and it shows!
  • LilTrashPandaLilTrashPanda Posts: 65 Ready At Dawn
    eldeeder said:
    Wow... Thanks guys! I finally got some time off work and it was after this beta was set to close. Obviously going to be buying this game at launch.. 
    In case you didn't hear, Echo Arena will be free for a limited time after launch thanks to a sponsorship by Intel, so make sure to pick it up from the store on July 20th to add it to your library! :)
  • truckingamer82truckingamer82 Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    but how can i cope with the 18th and 19th?........no echo arena....  :) wtg ready at dawn i salute you for making the oculus community happy with this masterpiece of multiplayer gaming. not since overwatch have i been so hyped to play a game and i thought no one could top that for me! thank you
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 7,465 Power Poster
    This is great news! I was distracted a few days with real life stuff, then the one night I had for VR fun I couldn't resist trying the game gifted to me by SadGamerDad.

Now I'm stuck working all night. It's good to know that I can actually take part in this Beta afterall!
    Unbanned but never Unbaned.

• Steven_BurgerSteven_Burger Posts: 5
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    When can we expect to see the party system added to the beta? I can't wait to start teaming up with people. 
  • DomitjenDomitjen Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    So it basically launched..except with a 3 days gap. :p
  • ZENtigerZENtiger Posts: 13
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Thanks so much guys. I am really enjoying this game so much and even took a half day yesterday just so i could play one more time but thankfully you have extended it :smile:  I just need to figure why sometimes I cant hear anyone talk in game.
    edited July 11
    Domitjen said:
    So it basically launched..except with a 3 days gap. :p
    Well, there are still some features to roll out and tweak over the extended beta, and we'll probably all get a rank reset for the official launch. But yeah, we'll all be playing pretty much continuously from here on.

It'll be nice to have an invite system working so we can hook up with friends more easily. I'm also interested to see what final tweaks are made to the game play.

I was playing with curving my throw last night (hold A after throwing to curve towards the bottom of your controller), but I hear that's going to be removed. I can't seem to master the two-handed launch (gain more speed by doing a two-handed fling from the catapult). It would be nice to have a practice launch tube so I could work on it without messing up my team if I screw it up.

Edit: I see both these features were removed with the latest patch.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,186
    Neo
    Excellent news PS (Apologies if you have been subjected to my 12 year old punching everybody in arms reach playing under my name) :)
  • XtruderXtruder Posts: 4
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Hands down one of the best games I've played in vr so far. (and I've played a lot of them). Probably the best multiplayer one.
    You guys are awesome. 
    I've decided to order a third sensor after playing this game. Stick-turning is too much of a disadvantage for fast play, and I need to try to shift my playspace to the other end of the room so I have a little more space to spin around and swing my arms without punching my stuff so often.
  • flybooneflyboone Posts: 84 Quick Draw McGraw
    Nalex, great choice! 3 is a must and I'm using 4 now and it's so much better being able to turn your body with complete freedom, at least until the wires tangle up. Can we get a Rift V2 soon with wireless video and tracking please? : )
    Dead and Buried Quick Draw Chamion
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 575
    Neo
    It's a lot more fun when there are a lot of other players there, so I assume the busiest time will be Friday evening through Sunday?
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,811
    Trinity
    The ONLY reason I'm not going to be able to play tonight is because my body is sore af from playing this last night. Love it!
    TitansOfSpacePlus_CoverArt_VRLandscape5_60p.png
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 673
    Trinity
    having trouble joining. Is the game down atm?
    You can really see the influx of new Rift users! Echo Arena tonight was full of Level 1 players who had just gotten their Rifts. I spent a good part of my play session just hanging out in the lobby and showing people the ropes, shooting the shit, goofing around, and generally having a good time. Fun!
  • Anime4LifeAnime4Life Posts: 6
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Is the game down? I noticed there was an update installed just now for the game and now it won't load :(
  • flybooneflyboone Posts: 84 Quick Draw McGraw
    If it was it's back up now
    Dead and Buried Quick Draw Chamion
    Neo
     Has somebody made a video showing actual multiplayer gameplay? The only videos I've been able to find on YouTube show a run through of the tutorial, which is fairly self-explanatory. I haven't  been able to figure out how to get changes to my appearance to "stick" or how other players are able to communicate with each other verbally. 
     Has somebody made a video showing actual multiplayer gameplay? The only videos I've been able to find on YouTube show a run through of the tutorial, which is fairly self-explanatory. I haven't  been able to figure out how to get changes to my appearance to "stick" or how other players are able to communicate with each other verbally. 
    Any customization you do should just apply automatically and stick without doing anything else. As far as communication, you just talk. The Rift mic is always on, so everyone in the vicinity should be able to hear you. 
    Neo
    I found a video of actual gameplay. Although the player seems almost as clueless as I am, at least I know I'm not alone in my ineptitude LOL!

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 7,465 Power Poster
    edited July 16
    I finally loaded this up! I I went through the tutorial and after completing everything, I was happy to see that I had experienced zero motion sickness. Impressive considering the weightlessness aspect of the game. In contrast to Adr1ft where I had to really pace myself to avoid getting a headache.

I do like how the tutorial immediately launched me in to the multiplayer lobby upon completion. People were darting around talking, laughing, and playing various practice games. I spent some time getting to know this area; I especially enjoy the "ceiling" compartments where players can dart through the walls.

I tried customizing my character by changing my color (to blue), but I couldn't tell if my changes had taken effect.

I may not be able to jump back in tonight, but I plan to spend as much time as possible tomorrow during the day (while I wait for the Game of Thrones premiere).

But so far, even with having only experienced the basics thus far... super impressed.
    Unbanned but never Unbaned.

Yeah, the lobby is fun... I want Oculus Rooms to be like this.

The robot in the middle of the Customization room shows what your changes look like, and you should be able to look at your own arms and legs to see that they've taken effect. There are three skins to customize--Social for the lobby, and Orange and Blue for the look you'll have in matches (you get randomly assigned to the Orange or Blue teams for each match). 
    I was just looking at the game settings, and it seems that some new options have been recently added. In particular, I noticed that you can enable "profane gestures". Any idea how to use them in-game?