/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Does the latest bundle still come with Oculus Remote and XBox Controller?

phoenixdigitalphoenixdigital Posts: 75
Hiro Protagonist
Hi All,

One of my mates said they put the Rift+Touch bundle in his cart a few days ago and it listed the contents with "Xbox controller and remote". However when they went through with the purchase just yesterday they were no longer listed.

Can someone from Oculus confirm if the XBox One controller and Remote are still included in the latest bundle that is on sale?

Thanks

VR HMDs: Rift+Touch and Gear VR
Hardware list for support

CPU: i5 6600K (not overclocked), GPU: EVGA GTX980Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 7 Port, USB Card 2: Inatek 4 Port

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,057 Power Poster
    edited July 13
    It should still include everything in the box. It's a standard kit that only comes in one configuration.
    Related image
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • SnackyAUSnackyAU Posts: 39
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I think i read you are still meant to get it and if you don't contact support but it does also not show that it's included for me also so bit of confusion eh
  • Jonfl1Jonfl1 Posts: 31
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    It was included when I bought it in Best Buy, not sure about when ordered direct though through Oculus.
  • StrgAttractorStrgAttractor Posts: 8
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    the problem here is that some of us bought it with controller in the description in the chart, then in the order it disappear and now i has been disappear also from the description in the chart. One person has been ask in the support and the answer has been that is not included...so that means that some of us have been cheated if the support answer finally is confirm.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,057 Power Poster
    I don't know where you heard that it doesn't include the xbox controller, but I'm pretty sure it's still the same kit that includes everything pictured above. I've been reading Reddit posts from people who have received theirs direct from Oculus (as well as from Amazon and Best Buy), and they did get the controller.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • phoenixdigitalphoenixdigital Posts: 75
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 13

nalex66 said:
    I don't know where you heard that it doesn't include the xbox controller, but I'm pretty sure it's still the same kit that includes everything pictured above. I've been reading Reddit posts from people who have received theirs direct from Oculus (as well as from Amazon and Best Buy), and they did get the controller.
    You can see it on their website yourself. All images and descriptions are gone from their website store for the remote and xbox controller. They used to be there. The remote and controller were also listed in the contents on the store as you are checking out. They are no longer listed at checkout anymore. The remote is still listed in the accessories section though.

I was hoping someone from Oculus could give us an answer here just to clarify.

If they are doing this to assist in reducing the price that is cool. At launch there were so many people whinging about not wanting an Xbox controller to reduce the price so it really is what people want. That said if they have actually removed them from the bundle they probably should make a public statement about it rather than quietly just take any reference to them off the store.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble I just fear if they did this quietly to reduce price and increase sales it will likely come back to bite them when the anti Oculus brigade come out and start causing trouble. Which in turn causes the media to regurgitate their rants to a wider audience which in turn puts a tarnish on the trust in the Oculus brand. If they did remove it from the bundle to reduce price they should have said it publicly at the time of sale. It is super easy to spin "We are listenting and are reducing the cost of the bundle by removing items most people don't use." Microsoft did it with the kinect and got praise and adulation. Way too late to come out publicly now though after the apparent surge in buyers.

Fingers crossed they just removed them from their site for clarification purposes and it still is in the bundle.

CPU: i5 6600K (not overclocked), GPU: EVGA GTX980Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 7 Port, USB Card 2: Inatek 4 Port
  • KratulnKratuln Posts: 34
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited July 13
    Blimey, the XBox controller has indeed been removed from the description.

Lol... Maybe they did it so people who bought the Rift + Touch controls last week or last month would have it pointed out to them and not feel as stiffed when they're only offered €200 off.
  • RexiKexiRexiKexi Posts: 3
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    When did they changed that? I bought with x-box control and now my order hasn't the x-box control too.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Someone said they noticed it 2-3 days ago. They went to buy it one day but hesitated. The next day when they actually purchased it they noticed the difference.

Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    in my chart it was included, but in the order now, it wasn't mentioned. the problem here is that it seems they change the content in existing purchases, although we have to wait the package to confirm or not. 
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 495 Poster of the Week
    edited July 13
    AFAIK there was only one situation/game (which was poorly made) where I needed the controller. ONCE. And ironically, the time when I needed it (and these two weeks before I had Touch)..I didn't even use the black included one, I find the old Xbox 360 controllers more comfortable and better to use. That XB360 controller literally just took up space in my junk drawer. (That being said, the additional wireless receiver, although it only worked with the XB360 controller, I mean it was a nice bonus...I used it for my media center PC since the other wireless controller is plugged in here).
    Hiro Protagonist
    100% agree. I rarely use my remote but it is handy to have for VR noobs. The XBox controller I used for Lucky's Tale, Chronos and a few other titles. It is not really required but if they change the bundle they should let us know as opposed to just tweak the website without notice.

As I said previously Microsoft got praised when the removed the Kinect from the bundle and dropped the price. They publicly said prior to changing their bundle what they were doing and everyone cheered from the rooftops. Sales went up and everyone was happy.

If they removed it from the bundle and didn't publicly explain that was one of the reasons they could drop the price. They will be called out for being shady or underhanded. Another totally avoidable PR fail.

Armchair PR expert here. It would be a no brainer to let people know if a bundle has changed rather than just tweak the website and hope nobody notices. People will notice when they start getting delivered.

Just an official word would be nice from an Oculus rep who must have seen this thread would be nice.

Is it in or out of the latest bundle?

• RexiKexiRexiKexi Posts: 3
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited July 14

Just an official word would be nice from an Oculus rep who must have seen this thread would be nice.

Is it in or out of the latest bundle?

I agree it's false advertisement, on my order I got all stuff then they Ninja removed it. 

• flexy123flexy123 Posts: 495 Poster of the Week
    edited July 14
    The more scary to realize that NO.SINGLE.PERSON is actually confirming or debunking it...means there are tons of people who ordered but still waiting for delivery, right? Otherwise we would have people chiming in here and say whether it's included or not. Looks to me those people who got their new low price sets all got it from BB or A...so it's not clear what O. is actually shipping.

THAT BEING SAID...I always "complained" about the they even sold the Rift with the "stupid" controller...so I can't say that taking the controller out of the box and replacing it with Touch is a bad thing...it sure ain't.
  • kavangekavange Posts: 13
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited July 14
    Just go and read reddit.com/r/oculus, nobody is mentioning anything missing. I feel you are trying to stire up fud in this thread and it's ridicolous. There is simply no reason it would be a different packaging and whoever in this thread said oculus support said so better prove it with a screenshot. Just stop f-ing lying to people.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 3,379 Volunteer Moderator
    The theory going around reddit that seems plausible is that the sale was to sell off the last stock of rifts that had the xbox controller. But they sold faster than expected (Oculus has a long history of underestimating sales).
    Maybe after that there will be a new box design with touch and extra sensor included with the cv1 instead of as two separate packages.

• cleanupdisccleanupdisc Posts: 107
    Hiro Protagonist
    I just received my best buy bundle order and i have it ... :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 14
    kavange said:
    Just go and read reddit.com/r/oculus, nobody is mentioning anything missing. I feel you are trying to stire up fud in this thread and it's ridicolous. There is simply no reason it would be a different packaging and whoever in this thread said oculus support said so better prove it with a screenshot. Just stop f-ing lying to people.
    Not trying to stir up fud mate relax. All I would like is a confirmation if they are still included. Is that too hard to ask?

As I said in the original post a buyer noticed the list of items included in the bundle changed from one day to the next. Don't you think there should be an explanation why that happened?

The question can be answered with a single post from an Oculus rep. Case closed with a post.

If it's included still that is awesome. If it is not then new buyers should know that upfront so they can make a purchasing decision on whether it is included or not.

This is what the cart looks like now. See image from previous post what it used to look like

Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Someone opened a ticked for asking and the answer was that is not included, but we don't know if the support people didn't know properly and only check the new description of the bundle. Also we don't know if he was talking to the new purchases or what happens with the previous orders with the ninja edit.
    Mine was sent yesterday in the evening, so this Monday I will tell you...
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 14
    Looks like it still is included based on this redditors question to Oculus support.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6n55mz/rift_bundle_missing_xbox_controller/dk7dy4d/

That is all that was needed. A simple official answer from a rep.

Case closed.

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 3,056 Valuable Player
    No answer on this yet (on the forum)?
  • LeoBlacksLeoBlacks Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Ordered 11 july, just delivered in Italy from Netherlands.  XBox One controller and Remote are included.
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,165 Poster of the Week
    Also confirming, bought from Amazon on the 1st day of the sale, mine came as expected, the full kit inc wireless adapter, gamepad, oculus remote etc. On Amazon at least when you buy the bundle it shows the 'two items' linking to their separate pages (at full price) and that did show the correct info for contents. They are selling those two so would be a bit strange to be selling some nerfed package without adjusting it on amazon.

As for direct oculus sales well that's for others to answer (and have) but amazon buyers seem good to go.
    EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Current RIFT CV1 owner dreaming of GEN 2 | VR developer | etc
  • ALFAQVALFAQV Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    LeoBlacks said:
    Ordered 11 july, just delivered in Italy from Netherlands.  XBox One controller and Remote are included.
    Same her ordered the 10 and just received with xbox one controller

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,126 Poster of the Week
    Kinda funny

So many tears when oculus first announce this bundle had a controller accusing them of ripping them off etc

Now everyone wants one

I am loling at work to myself. Saying this the present oculus arrived last night.

Full package is there, remote controller rockband addon, one super happy brother
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • TadinTadin Posts: 169
    Art3mis
    Sounds like its being changed to a single box with no XBox controller or remote once they run out of current stock -- https://uploadvr.com/oculus-permanently-slashes-rift-touch-bundle-price/

• CalibosCalibos Posts: 44
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited July 14
    The fact that orders are starting to be delivered and have the xbox controller or that Oculus support have said its just the web description thats changed and not the included peripherals, doesn't rule out that very plausible reddit theory.

The people getting their Rifts delivered now could just be those who ordered before the Xbox controller Rift SKU's ran out. It could also be that Oculus haven't run out of the Xbox Rift SKU's yet but someone jumped the gun with changing the product description on the website which should only have been put in place after the Sale was over.

Agree that whatever the reason, its yet another un-necessary PR faux Pas.

WRT to the Reddit theory. The Sale might not only be to get rid of the Xbox controller Rift SKU in particular but all separate Rift and Touches and fancy boxes out in the supply chain. Given its out of stock everywhere it would seen they've accomplished that in 6 days instead of 6 weeks. I've a feeling that after the 6 weeks it'll go back up to 600 and then at OC4 in October they'll announce that Touch is no longer available seperately except on their store as replacements, that from then on there will be only 1 Rift+Touch SKU which will come in one much simpler less premium box and without the xbox controller and remote with a new permanent price of $450/£450/€500

Personally I and I assume many others were saying this last Summer when people (mostly Vivers) were saying that Oculus would forever regret not including Touch with Rift from Day1 as it would split the user base forever. My response was that we Rifters did not dispute that tracked controllers were a gamechanger, we were just prepared to wait for a better implementation than Vive Wands. That because Touch would be a gamechanger, it was likely that all but the most hardcore Sim purists who only bought Rift for their Sim gaming would buy Touch no matter when it launched. That Rift not having tracked controllers for a few months after Rift launch would not deter Devs from making tracked controller games seeing as even if Rift never had them, the other 2 thirds of the VR gaming market would (Vive/PSVR) regardless. That at some point in 2017 Oculus would liquidate existing stock and move to a single Bundle SKU and from that point onwards everyone would have Touch. ie. That the 'Split Userbase' ratio number would be small to begin with anyway but would rapidly diminish. Eg. Say they sold 300,000 Rifts in 2016/Early 2017 and 50,000 never bought Touch. Based on that hypothetical figure 15% of Rift owners wouldn't have Touch. With the Reduced pricing earlier this year and then this Sale pricing, literally no one buys Rift without Touch from April 2017 onwards, from October 2017 no one can buy Rift without Touch. That 50,000 number of Touchless users remains static while the numbers of users with Touch goes way up. End of 2017 They've sold a million units. The percentage of Touchless Rift owners is now only 5% of the userbase.

[Emperor] It is all proceeding as I have Foreseen!!! [/Emperor]

:D

[EDIT] I was $50 out. Rift+Touch bundle will go up to $499/£499/€550 straight after the €399 Sale ends
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/14/15970296/oculus-rift-touch-bundle-price-drop-hike

• smilertoosmilertoo Posts: 267
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 14
    I got mine on wednesday and it came in 2 boxes, it included the xbox controller and wireless usb card for it. I didnt even unpack it or the remote so i can see those being removed at some point.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,083 Poster of the Week
    It has been officially confirmed by Brendan Iribe on twitter that the new bundle will not contain the Gamepad OR Remote, with the reason being cost-saving.

It appears that as of now, it's also not possible to buy the original Rift (w/o Touch) box;  The only options are the new bundle, or the original Touch box, and of course individual accessories.

Kind of funny to think that the Remote will now forever be a non-standard part.  I love that little thing, but in a year most Rift-owners won't even know it exists.  At $30, I can't imagine a lot of folks going out to specifically buy one. :astonished:

The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 3,379 Volunteer Moderator
    kojack said:

Maybe after that there will be a new box design with touch and extra sensor included with the cv1 instead of as two separate packages.

Nailed it!

As @Tadin linked to above, there's a new rift package with no xbox controller, no remote and everything in one box.

That's a shame, I like the remote. It's great when I'm demoing the rift to people at work using Dreamdeck, I keep the remote and use it to skip over the longer segments (like the robot arms) so more people get to try it. :)