New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Allergic to my Rift

madamluckmadamluck Posts: 128 Poster of the Week
so l have a plastic allergy.. if plastic is touching my skin or is in extremely close proximity of my skin for several hours I have a reaction . I've had this issue since I was younger and it's become like second nature to avoid all things plastic that could cause me to breakout without even a thought.
so I bought a rift a few months ago because I had to have it! . I'm a casual player, a couple/ few hours every other day.I have had no problems with pain or swelling!  But in the past couple of days I've been using medium, time flys by when drawing so 3 hrs only feels like an hour. Without realizing that in the past couple of days I've spend over many hours wearing the headset . Last night my face started hurting some while playing but I brushed it off as a blocked pore causing pressure pain. Kept on drawing. I eventually took off the headset and notice straight away my line of sight was off due swelling under my eye.. looked in a mirror and I was swollen pretty good under my left eye while I only had some mild swelling under my right. I ice packed my eyes which brought the swelling down . I still have it today just not as bad. Another day or 2 and it should clear up, as long as I don't rift lol.
it actually never dawned on me to check out what materials where in the rift  , I wanted one so much! Lol. I honestly don't care, still don't really... I love my rift... swollen eyes and blurred vision won't stop me from playing !! . But now that I know I will breakout if on it for to long in one sitting without taking necessary breaks. I can easily avoid this from happening again! ... this isnt oculus's fault... it's completely mine and my stupid allergies! I'm actually more upset I have to take a break from my rift over the swelling lol.

im wondering if there's other face plates that could help me avoid this or some sort of cover so material that contains plastic is unable to cause my skin to react:

Comments

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,328 Poster of the Week
    There are yes

https://vrcover.com

Maybe contact them to talk through materials they used??
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • madamluckmadamluck Posts: 128 Poster of the Week
    Thanks @vannagirl . Will check them out
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,296 Power Poster
    edited July 15
    Yeah, I'd recommend the VR covers too (I'd go for the Basic Rift set). I'm not sure what the "p.u. leather" interface is actually made of, but if it disagrees with you. the kit also comes with a fabric cover that you can put over the facial interface.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 2,499 Valuable Player
    I use VR Cover easy wipe cushioned cover and it's much more comfy.

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 174
    Art3mis
    I like the faux leather pu thing but I made the mistake of getting a red facial interface. Light bleeds in and reflects on the lenses when not playing in the dark. I also think the plastic interface creaks and is of lower quality then the original. For now I went back to the original facial interface. I don't like the simple covers as they come off too easely for me. However, get a black facial interface and the compromises are low if it fixes your allergy problem.
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 647 Poster of the Week
    edited July 16
    There is also

https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-cover/

Which in all fairness should be mentioned. Not all are happy with the covers from VRcovers.
    (I am not allergic, but I quickly get dry/itchy/red skin from wearing the Rift...toying with the idea to get a Widmo cover for the longest already)

Edit: Faux leather PU doesn't sound nice to me. Same as with shoes. This makes you sweat! This is why I would only want a fabric cover, PU is essentially plastic. No thanks!
  • Devlin-DarksideDevlin-Darkside Posts: 37
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Are there any UK based cover manufactures ?
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 2,609
    Wintermute
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • lovethislovethis Posts: 3,206 Poster of the Week
    edited July 17
    flexy123 said:
    There is also

https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-cover/

Which in all fairness should be mentioned. Not all are happy with the covers from VRcovers.
    (I am not allergic, but I quickly get dry/itchy/red skin from wearing the Rift...toying with the idea to get a Widmo cover for the longest already)

Edit: Faux leather PU doesn't sound nice to me. Same as with shoes. This makes you sweat! This is why I would only want a fabric cover, PU is essentially plastic. No thanks!
    The PU leather foam is best. Cloth soaks up sweat and without washing it you are stuck with a sweaty cloth. You can wipe PU leather foam and this allows it to remain clean and sweat free. It's also a 100 times more comfy then cloth. I haven't come across one person who doesn't like it
    I thought I had already responded... oops!!! But anyways I wanted to thank you all for your help. Will be placing an order tomorrow with vr covers. I am a little bit concerned about the pu leather cover as I'm sure it's just fake leather which will contain plastic... the kit I'm considering though comes with a cover for it so that might stop it from touching my skin plus be more comfortable.. also thinking of get the fabrics one too 
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 1,842 Poster of the Week
    PU leather is Polyurethane coated leather.  Do you have a reaction to  all plastics?  Polyurethanes, PVC, Polyethylene?  Or are you reacting to the additives, plasticizers etc?
    @TwoHedWlf I know definitely pvc . I never went and got allergy tested at the doctors,I really should though . But all I know is if a wear anything that's plastic on my skin for some time I have reached to it so I just avoid it all now as best as I can.
    @TwoHedWlf I have a Fitbit I can't even wear.. after 2 days of wearing I broke out in a very painful rash around my wrist under the straps .. no idea what plastic is in it but it doesn't like me lol 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 2,005 Valuable Player
    The best (and sometimes the worst!) thing about allergies is that they can come and go at any time. When the 2014 World Cup started I got a load of beer in ready and started to watch the first match. First can of Stella my nose got blocked up. Thought I had developed a cold, kept drinking. Second can and my nose started running. Third can and my nose and eyes were streaming :o

Decided it was a good idea to stop there lol

But allergies can also disappear, there are probably loads of people with life threatening allergies that are perfectly fine eating and drinking stuff they've been scared to go near for YEARS and they don't even realise it.

Allergies should always be regularly tested.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    @snowdog yes your right, they can come and go. Unfortunately I know my plastic allergy is still with me. I didn't have it as a kid but developed it in my early teens. Same goes for gold jewelry under 24k. Used to be able to wear any gold jewelry up until a few years ago. I couldn't understand why so I did research and that's when I found out about allergies popping up at any time.. crazy! And yes you are right, I absolutely need to see a doctor for tests , I keep putting on the back burner. So much contains plastic these days sadly. I hope one day this allergy will pass as easily as it started! 
  • cataclysm274cataclysm274 Posts: 10
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I'm using an outdoor style buff (scarf) to protect my forehead. The fabric is anti alergic and made to be worn in harsh conditions or under helmets. No problems since!
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,288 Valuable Player
    You should make a vr cover yourself out of wood and animal products

This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    elboffor said:

That post where a LOL click isn't anywhere near enough lmfao :D :D :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• ualdayanualdayan Posts: 5
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    snowdog said:
    elboffor said:

That post where a LOL click isn't anywhere near enough lmfao :D :D :D
    Better than suggesting he 3D print one. :smiley:
    I received my new facial plate from vrcover. It's the basic set with the pu leather and fabric cover. I'm very much loving the feel of it on my face! And while I haven't played my rift long with the new plate I have noticed that I don't have that awful foam imprint around my face- I think I remember that being called a rift rash awhile back lol. 
    Its definitely an improvement and I'm very happy with it. With the fabric cover all possible plastic material isn't touching my face so I should be able to play for hours on end without having a reaction. 
    The only thing I'm not crazy about is how the fabric cover applies. I wish you could secure the ends onto the frame better. it's just a very minor observation ,it's not something to loss sleep over lol.

Wish I had bought this sooner! 

Awesome news!!
    @vannagirl I was pretty excited about the cloth too . I saw it and was like omg how cool it that with the vr headsets on it lol
    you know i have wondered buying these myself for ages and ages, i may just take the plunge now
    @vannagirl I just got it so I haven't put them to the test yet with long play time. But first impression and with how they feel definitely makes me recommend them. The pu leather velcros to the plate so they are very easy to remove and clean. The fabric doesn't feel cheap either . I'd say you would like these a whole lot more than the stock plate 
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,190 Poster of the Week
    Let us know how those VR covers are regarding sweat management;   I'm wondering if it might be a good investment for me to get one, for when I'm using VirZoom or Touch games/apps.

Otherwise, if I sweat up my Rift I have to let it sit in front of a fan for a couple hours before it dries out completely.  Once it dries its fine, but if I get too impatient and try to wear it while it's still a little wet, it feels so gross. :tongue:

The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
    @CrashFu the fabric feels thick and absorbent . It's machine washable but I'll probably hand wash it to cut down on time and let it air dry. The pu leather under it is a wipeable surface so even if you don't have the cover on , every now and then you could take off the headset, wipe it clean and dry and then put the headset back on. I haven't done that yet but I'll be sweating up a storm later and will see how it goes. 
    Glad you got it sorted. I can't imagine life without being able to wear my Rift for long periods!

@CrashFu after a few long sessions (3/4 hrs) - that's long for me lol, for the past few days of daily wear I'm happy to report that it absorbs great! And my face isn't nasty and sweaty. I can definitely get a few more days out of it before washing it. Also it's pretty comfortable too and I don't have marks on my face like the stock plate leaves.
    @snowdog I absolutely love the new faceplate and cover. Definitely recommend it over the stock plate that comes with the rift.