New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

I think I just found my second major HMD purchase (Lenova)

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 7,442 Power Poster
edited July 16 in General

Lenovo made an augmented reality headset for 'Star Wars' games

'Jedi Challenges' and holochess are some of the first experiences.

Disney was also rather tight-lipped on the game itself, but teased a brief video of a woman suiting up for lightsaber training complete with a motion controller resembling the famous Skywalker-family lightsaber handle. Footage of a real-time ground battle game with troops, turrets and AT-ATs and holochess were also shown. Pro tip: Always let the Wookiee win.

Official Site: http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/jedichallenges

Articles:
https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/15/star-wars-augmented-reality-headset
https://uploadvr.com/star-wars-jedi-challenges-makes-ar-jedi/

I'm buying this one. I'm buying it hard.

Unbanned but never Unbaned.

Comments

• lovethislovethis Posts: 3,206 Poster of the Week
    So it plays just one game? Doesn't even show you any game footage like it says it does.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 7,442 Power Poster
    yeah the video is a super teaser.

It would be strange for it just to be a single game, although I wouldn't mind as long as it involves constant updates to Jedi Training activities. This is more AR than VR it seems, with a multitude of possibilities.

The selling point for me is being able to truly interact in the real-world as a Jedi. And this is just the beginning.

• lovethislovethis Posts: 3,206 Poster of the Week
    edited July 16
    I missed that it was AR, so I might be interested in this after all. I really want to see that stuff and HoloLens is way to expensive. Any idea when they are looking to release this headset and does it hook up to a PC?
  • MradrMradr Posts: 1,848 Poster of the Week
    Not enough meat on the bones to really get excited about it.
  • lukwtwzlukwtwz Posts: 64
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 17

Zenbane said:

I'm buying it hard.

I dunno, that sounds kinda mickey-mouse. Normally I'd ask if OP works for Disney, but it's clear that nobody who works for Disney, or even a marketing arm of Disney, would ever go to all the effort of expressing loyalty to Oculus thousands of times over just to push such an ostensibly limited HMD, so maybe this thing is legit and worth clicking about.

Is Jedi where it's at?
    It's just a fun looking toy :*

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 2,609
    Wintermute

Interesting design....!
    Wonder where this places Magic Leap?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • lukwtwzlukwtwz Posts: 64
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ilovethis said:
    I missed that it was AR, so I might be interested in this after all. I really want to see that stuff and HoloLens is way to expensive. Any idea when they are looking to release this headset and does it hook up to a PC?
    I, too, missed that it was AR, and indeed Hololens is mad expensive while Magic Leap is not of this era, so maybe this has a point after all. Although I'm not interested in light sabers, other types of AR such as "holochess" could be legit.
  • CyrilCyril Posts: 1,048
    Neo
    How much would you pay for a working lightsaber, complete with things to deflect and slice through ?

Well that's as close as you'll get :)
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 1,616 Poster of the Week
    If it doesn't cost an arm and a leg I might check this out.  I wanted to check out Hololens but I'd rather buy a used truck.  $3k is a bit steep IMHO.
    Wintermute
    Regarding AR, 2018 is going to be a crowded scene.

I know that MS has now abandoned plans for a HL II for 2018, and have moved that back to 2019 - but from other quarters there are a lot of new headsets and platforms being proposed.

Interesting to think that fundamentally the new ACE HMD with its see-thru capability could do a rudimentary version of what this system is proposing - interesting times!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 236
    Nexus 6
    So now, not only do you get to look ridiculous wearing that headset, but you'll also see everybody around you laughing at you, as you pretend to wave a lightsaber about looking like a right dick. Progress.
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,564 Valuable Player
    So now, not only do you get to look ridiculous wearing that headset, but you'll also see everybody around you laughing at you, as you pretend to wave a lightsaber about looking like a right dick. Progress.
    Or you are alone at home and nobody is seeing you playing it. And maybe you have fun with it. Could happen.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
    Wintermute
    The constellation system will have to be 100% or its going to be Wii litigation central again!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • Fri13Fri13 Posts: 30
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Zenbane said:
    yeah the video is a super teaser.

It would be strange for it just to be a single game, although I wouldn't mind as long as it involves constant updates to Jedi Training activities. This is more AR than VR it seems, with a multitude of possibilities.

The selling point for me is being able to truly interact in the real-world as a Jedi. And this is just the beginning.
    With just a single game, Disney can do a LOT of things. 

Jedi Training = Physical Exercise 
    Light Saber = Training for the swordsmanship with characters as with drones.
    AI communication = Discussions like with Siri (combine it with lateral ones)
    Star Wars famous Chess = Normal Chess gaming
    Shooting with a blaster = fancy shooting game about targets across room etc. 

Many Star Wars theed sub-games can be made!
  • Madmann86Madmann86 Posts: 10
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    lovethis said:
    You put your phone in it like Gear VR
  • CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 286
    Nexus 6
    I signed up on their mailing list as soon as I saw this yesterday!

Definitely considering purchasing one of these headsets, at least just to play around and do some dev for it.
  • Stryker1000Stryker1000 Posts: 322
    Nexus 6
    Lenovo = superfish ....no thanks
    Someone named "Chazmeister" is worried about looking like a dick?

• ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 236
    Nexus 6
    Well, I don't wear it on a name badge, so....