cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

None of the available utilities have any effect on my games.. Why?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi folks,
I find myself a tad confused as I have downloaded ED Profiler ( for Elite Dangerous), OpenVR Advanced Settings and also tried the Occulus Debug Tool.  None of them have had any effect on my games at all, totally nothing despite trying all sorts of settings.  Even changing the much talked about Supersampling doesn't do a thing.

I have a very high end PC built around the Asus Maximus IX Hero, NVidia 1080Ti, 32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz Ram and an Intel i7-7700 Kaby Lake which I built specifically for VR.

Ok so I'm wondering if because I can max out everything no problem, I can't improve on it because these apps are really to improve visuals and performance on lesser spec machines that can struggle a bit?  Either that or I'm doing something totally wrong.

My visuals are good but since I'm a noob at this, I have no idea if they can be better.  Hell I can't even make them worse lol
Any idea's please?   
3 REPLIES 3

FrontierSupport
Adventurer
Hi Jalapeno,

I assume you're measuring your performance primarily via the frame-rate in VR. (I'm not sure how familiar you are with how VR works just yet so forgive me if this is obvious)

The Oculus Rift should make your game lock at either 45 FPS or 90 FPS. If you can't reach 90 but you can reach 45 then some magic happens that lowers the performance requirements but keeps your framerate relatively silky smooth even though it's only 45. If you're not able to make the jump over that 90 FPS barrier consistently then you won't get the benefit of the attempts at improving your performance.

Beyond the 90 FPS mark though, you can improve the visual clarity using supersampling and various other features but that's all down to what makes the game look best for you. Perhaps someone with a similarly powerful machine (I don't have one like yours to hand at the moment) might be able to help with their preferred settings 🙂

Hope that's even a little helpful!

-CMDR Vanguard

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jalapeno,

I assume you're measuring your performance primarily via the frame-rate in VR. (I'm not sure how familiar you are with how VR works just yet so forgive me if this is obvious)

The Oculus Rift should make your game lock at either 45 FPS or 90 FPS. If you can't reach 90 but you can reach 45 then some magic happens that lowers the performance requirements but keeps your framerate relatively silky smooth even though it's only 45. If you're not able to make the jump over that 90 FPS barrier consistently then you won't get the benefit of the attempts at improving your performance.

Beyond the 90 FPS mark though, you can improve the visual clarity using supersampling and various other features but that's all down to what makes the game look best for you. Perhaps someone with a similarly powerful machine (I don't have one like yours to hand at the moment) might be able to help with their preferred settings 🙂

Hope that's even a little helpful!

-CMDR Vanguard

Yeah thanks....  Well I've changed the SS a few times but if there is a difference in visuals it must be too subtle for me to notice..  No biggy though I'm happy..

Star-lizard
Rising Star
Are you running those apps in admin Mode