New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

oculus rift and PC monitor

tjstrattontjstratton Posts: 11
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
When I turn my monitor off for a period then come back it does not get a signal and goes into power save mode. I have to unplug the Oculus video cable from my video card to get the monitor to wake up.

Is there any way to get this to work correctly?

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 22,395 Oculus Staff
    I haven't seen this before. What video card, cable type, and monitor model are you using?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • tjstrattontjstratton Posts: 11
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    The Oculus is connected via 1 of the mini display ports with an HDMI adapter. The Monitor is connected with DVI. I usually turn my monitor off when I leave the room because I don't like how the sleep software works. When I come back and turn the monitor on it says there is no signal and goes into sleep mode. So I have to crawl under my desk and separate the adapter from Oculus then the monitor instantly comes back on. Everything works until I turn my monitor off or it goes into sleep mode via windows. It seems like Oculus somehow takes over default monitor. Not sure what is happening.

ATI 295x2
    Windows 10x64
    Asus Maximus V
    Dell U3011 monitor
  • shiarishiari Posts: 77
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 15
    I've not had this issue with my 295X2 ... but I never turn my monitor off, and it's connected through displayport (2nd monitor on DVI). Maybe try the monitor on a mini-DP connection instead?

Edit: actually, come to think of it, there's more to it. I haven't had much success when the Rift was up and running and the system put the display to sleep, it never recovered particularly well though I can't remember what happened exactly. My problems actually stopped when I started using Oculus Tray Tool and I no longer have the Rift services and software running when the system itself or the the display on standby.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 22,395 Oculus Staff
    That shouldn't happen. But I remember that video card is really weird and has issues with certain adapters. You may want to try a different adapter or switching video ports around (depending on what your monitor can support). I do also remember reading about certain monitors having sleep problems with DisplayPort but not HDMI or DVI (in general, not to do with VR). 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • tjstrattontjstratton Posts: 11
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I'll try to switch it. Maybe the DVI port near the first display port share the same bus or something.

Thanks for the replies
  • JaimieVandenberghJaimieVandenbergh Posts: 194
    Art3mis
    Sounds like your video card switches off its monitor output port when it doesn't see the monitor for a while. Weird behaviour, are there any power saving options on the video driver you can tweak?
    What does the 'sleep software' do that annoys you? Might be worthwhile to get that fixed instead. Root cause.