New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

HTC finally gives in! The Vive price cut has arrived

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 7,392 Power Poster
edited August 28 in General
This news just came in...

HTC Vive Now $599, Gets A Permanent $200 Price Cut

all that technology came at a premium price that has, until right now, remained at $799 for the Vive headset, two motion controllers, and two base stations for tracking. Other than a few flash sales and minor discounts it’s been stuck at that price.

The updated package, priced at $599 for everything mentioned above, includes download codes for Richie’s Plank Experience, Everest VR, and Tilt Brush on Steam, as well as a one-month subscription to Viveport. The Viveport service has over 200 apps available, but you can only pick five to get access to over the course of a single month. It’s sort of like selectively renting content.

Interesting news considering it wasn't very long ago that HTC executives explained why a Vive price cut was unnecessary. Those reasons seem to still apply today, giving rise to insight that perhaps HTC feels the pressure from the aggressive Oculus pricing in order to remain viable (and alive) in the high-end VR Market.

From E3 2017:

“we haven’t dropped the core price of the Vive because we think it offers the best room-scale [experience], hands down.”

O’Brien elaborated further on HTC’s perspective on the Vive’s price, saying that there are certainly price-sensitive customers who are looking for the lowest cost option, but there are also ‘value-sensitive customers who are willing to pay more if they feel they are getting better value out of their purchase;’ the latter is where a large portion of VR early-adopters fall, he said.

Sources:

https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-now-599-gets-permanent-200-price-cut/

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-explains-vive-price-cost-lowered-cut-discount/

*EDIT*
Latest damaging articles/discussions:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/552854/#Comment_552854

Unbanned but never Unbaned.

Tagged:

Comments

• KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    Was just about to post this, beat me to it! 
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 100
    Art3mis
    edited August 21
    At 599 that would put the Oculus 3 sensor setup (with extension cabling also) in the same ballpark from the 499 price. But you'll still need to buy the Deluxe Audio Strap and Knuckles to be on par but it's a lot better than 799 for sure. 
  • Smashed_PumpkinSmashed_Pumpkin Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    This is good news though. They're both great headsets and it'll only do good things for the hobby as a whole. Price was what locked me out of VR for a long time and it was only the recent Oculus price cut that allowed me to get my own headset. I always wanted a Vive over the Rift but I must admit that this new Vive price cut probably isn't enough for me to have picked one up over the Rift. Especially if they haven't improved the controllers yet.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,318 Poster of the Week
    Zenbane said:
    I got Alexa over Christmas, after I installed her my first command (after asking the Time) was:
    "Alexa, notify me everytime Oculus wtfpwns HTC. Wake me if you have to."

She's always on point :p
    Honestly

Im crying you crack me up sometimes 
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Hahaha

But the best comedy can be unintentional.
    You brightened up my morning  :D

This is good for vr in general i did wonder though when htc would feel the pressure, seems the oculus has been flying

Hey i wonder if they read places as this
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 7,392 Power Poster
    The Oculus forums often come up as a Top Search Result on Google for nearly every major subject matter, hot topic, and debate in VR. A big part of that is due to the fact that VR is still in its infancy, and the consumer base is so small that the rest of us arguing all the time end up creating some of the largest metadata available.

The only other competition is Reddit, commercial articles, and YouTube videos.

For example, if you Google "HTC Vive Knuckles"
    https://www.google.com/search?q=htc+vive+knuckles

... the very first link on Page 2 goes here:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/53921/vive-knuckle-controllers

So you are saying

Memes and fights are getting vr out there

This day keeps getting better and better
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 973 Poster of the Week
    But Vive is supposed to be expensive to show that it is a superior quality product?! ... What good is it going to be if its affordable? .. no one will ever buy it then!
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,564 Valuable Player
    Counting in for Atmos73 to join the discussion. Thank god I stopped reading all the comments, because my anger vanished at some point. Now I am just bored to read the same shit again and again.

However: I expect to read Atmos73 explanation of HTC's strategic movements and why it will be good for all people on the planet (and for all the Vive owners in particular) in
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 1,777
    Project 2501
    I predicted a drop to £600 and here it is. This is a drop is with out the new 2.0 base stations so still wiggle room.

The race to a million is back on.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 2,402 Poster of the Week
    damn i was slow on the news hunting this morning and got properly beaten to the punch.
    fab news for VR. no need to put a negative spin on it imo,  healthy competition between 2 essentially comparable products is good news for us,  consumers never win in a monopoly (just look at the dark period of gpus with the 8800GTX which went on and on and on without a price cut).

now users can just look at what they want, decide which features are their priority and make a purchase without price being the sticking point.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Project 2501
    edited August 21
    The question now is will the Rift for £399 be the new norm? I think it will.
    edited August 21
    Atmos73 said:
    The question now is will the Oculus for £399 be the new norm? I think it will.
    I hope so...!.  But i doubt it.  Oculus have software sales 3 or 4 times a year however so i would not be surprised to see the Rift (its not "the oculus" goddamn it ;)  ) reduced to £399 as a matter of course when each sale is on.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Project 2501
    Just reading the Upload VR article.

"The Vive is still the best experience in my opinion and I think they know that based on this price.”

https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-now-599-gets-permanent-200-price-cut/

• RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,564 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    http://www.techradar.com/news/oculus-rift-and-touch-bundle-get-a-permanent-price-drop

$499 in the US when the Summer of Rift sale ends
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
    Project 2501
    That article was before the Vive price drop. My hunch is FB will make the Rift permanent £399 and £299 when desperation sets in again. Time will tell....

We just need Knuckle pre orders to go live...
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 2,494 Valuable Player
    I suspect there might be further cuts or "enticements" (from Oculus and HTC) once the Windows MR headsets release towards the end of this year/early 2018.

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,283 Power Poster
    It's a shame they didn't bundle in the DAS with the new cheaper Vive kit; it would have brought it a little closer to parity with the Rift for almost as good a price (compared to the post-summer-sale Rift).

Anyway, this will be good for pushing VR as a whole. Now there's a reasonably affordable option for those few holdouts who are so afraid of Facebook that they didn't get a sale-priced Rift.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    Project 2501
    nalex66 said:
    It's a shame they didn't bundle in the DAS with the new cheaper Vive kit;
    Hang on we've still got 4 months of the year left yet. HTC and Valve haven't played all their Aces yet.
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 659
    Neo
    Atmos73 said:
    nalex66 said:
    It's a shame they didn't bundle in the DAS with the new cheaper Vive kit;
    Hang on we've still got 4 months of the year left yet. HTC and Valve haven't played all their Aces yet.
    I didn't Realise HTC/Valve were "still in the game" :tongue:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 1,989 Valuable Player
    Great news for VR, HTC had to do something because the sales advantage that they had was closing since Oculus reduced their price to $600 in March. The Rift is still a better buy unless you're living in a mansion and need a bigger trackable area but anything that gets more headsets out there is great for developers.

They still need to bundle in the Deluxe Audio Strap though imo, and when the Knuckles controllers release they need to replace the original Vive controllers with them but this is a great start.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited August 21
    snowdog said:
    Great news for VR, HTC had to do something because the sales advantage that they had was closing since Oculus reduced their price to $600 in March. The Rift is still a better buy unless you're living in a mansion and need a bigger trackable area but anything that gets more headsets out there is great for developers.

They still need to bundle in the Deluxe Audio Strap though imo, and when the Knuckles controllers release they need to replace the original Vive controllers with them but this is a great start.
    i agree on the mounting system however  (and bare in mind i do not follow vive that closely) but.......

don’t valve make the "knuckles" not HTC?... if this is the case i would imagine they will work on all steam VR devices and not just the vive...... (ie the LG HMD when that launches)
    And as its not a HTC product i dont see them being bundled with, or replacing the wands any time soon.

however I will happily accept i am wrong if you guys are more clued in on me than this!.
    You are correct, bigmike. Valve makes the Knuckles, not HTC. We likely won't see them bundled together at this new price drop. Unless Valve is feeling extra sorry for HTC and wants to throw them another bone.

edited August 21
    Atmos73 said:
    The bigger question:
    Will Vivarians spend yet another year praising HTC for its ability to half-heartedly mimic every major action performed by Facebook and Oculus? I think they will.

Project 2501
    Valve make the Knuckles Devkit. Valve 'might' release a full retail version. But Valve won't stop HTC or LG releasing their own Knuckle variation for release with their own HMD's. It's up to HTC and LG if they want to stick with Wands or jump to Knuckles. Hopefully everyone jumps to Knuckles. I don't see Valve building Knuckles for HTC or LG.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 1,989 Valuable Player
    It's in Valve's interest to have as many Knuckles controllers out there as possible, it's in HTC and LG's interest to have their headsets ship with the new controllers because currently the Rift's controllers are miles better. HTC and LG won't need to manufacture their own Knuckles versions, they can do a similar licencing deal with the Knuckles controllers as they are with their headsets, except order those controllers from Valve instead of making their own versions.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Atmos73 said:
    Valve make the Knuckles Devkit. Valve 'might' release a full retail version. But Valve won't stop HTC or LG releasing their own Knuckle variation for release with their own HMD's. 
    So you are suggesting that HTC and LG perform Patent infringement? lol

HTC has adopted the "copy the other guy" business model for so long that now it's become your own second-nature business strategy recommendation.

Project 2501
    edited August 21
    Zenbane said:
    The bigger question:
    Will Vivarians spend yet another year praising HTC for its ability to half-heartedly mimic every major action performed by Facebook and Oculus? I think they will.
    The bigger question now is - how long will OH compete with the AAA games coming to SteamVR? As the SteamVR user base matures in size Devs are less likely to take bribe money to go exclusive. They'll simply be self sufficient as PCVR HMD sales hit 2 million. FB will need to dig even deeper to keep these exclusives coming.