cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official list of CPU's, please?????

Spillmypint
Explorer
Hi there,

I've scoured the internet and only found listings dated about 2016 of CPU that will run Oculus Rift.
Any posts since then are people complaining about their CPU is up to the mark or even surpass very comfortably - yet still won't install the software.

Surely a copy and paste from the inner workings of the Oculus software, the list which it checks against to which CPU will do the deed  can be done?????

It seems that the specifications are hinted at, but not clearly defined.  Surely this day and age, it can be clearly defined?

Regards
Mark
19 REPLIES 19

cybereality
Grand Champion
What CPU are you using?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

ThatTechGuy
Protege
all of these CPUs and Processors would work just fine. this just give you a better idea of what is more affordable or worth the money. if you go the this site and look for any CPU with a score higher than 8k or 9k then it will work too and you will save a little money. looks like for gaming though the ryzen 5 1600 or 1600X are the best bang for the buck and with a little overclocking gets you the same performance in gaming as the ryzen 1700X since in gaming the frequency is what matters.

the video below shows a little comparision. as long as you are getting 90fps or above then you should be good. most of the game you will play are going to me GPU bound though
xjctuaceek0s.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3P8IueKOUU
AMD Ryzen 1800X | GYGABYTE GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA GTX980 FTW |120GB SanDisk SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD | EVGA 850 GQ Power supply | Fractal Design Define S

Spillmypint
Explorer

What CPU are you using?

I'm using the AMD fx8320, had it over clocked to 4.4ghz.  But the software doesnt register the fact that its o'c'd.  just a sub perofrming processor.  Not the best i know, but was thinking on the fx8370, but have read that people are having problems with that one too.  Ive got the MSI970 gaming board, amd+ socket.   I think ive cracked the USB problem with the board, just need to get a suitable processor for it

Spillmypint
Explorer
I've run the compatiability mode on the steam software, and my coimputer as it stands is well in the green for being able to do the VR thingl,  but can't install oculus to get the steam working, with the current Oculus installation system.

ThatTechGuy
Protege
the software wont even install? I have an FX8350 and a r7 260x in my other system. when I get home i'll test to see if I can install VR. this might take a while since I don't use that PC anymore
AMD Ryzen 1800X | GYGABYTE GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA GTX980 FTW |120GB SanDisk SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD | EVGA 850 GQ Power supply | Fractal Design Define S

cybereality
Grand Champion
Are VR games actually underperforming, or do you just want to get rid of the message?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Spillmypint
Explorer

Are VR games actually underperforming, or do you just want to get rid of the message?

Ideally get rid of the message.  Steam says my machine is good for VR,  Oculus says it isn't.   This is pointing to me going a getting a HTC Vive. 

ThatTechGuy
Protege

Ideally get rid of the message.  Steam says my machine is good for VR,  Oculus says it isn't.   This is pointing to me going a getting a HTC Vive. 

on the vive web site it has the FX 8350 as the minimum CPU...

Spillmypint
Explorer

ThatTechGuy said:
on the vive web site it has the FX 8350 as the minimum CPU...

This is want i'm thinking, Saving all of the monkeying around that Oculus seems to be putting me through

Much appreciated ThatTechGuy.