New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Anyone know of a good projector for 3D games and 3D films?

lovethislovethis Posts: 3,206 Poster of the Week
edited September 2 in Off-Topic
I don't want to spend much and might even look for a used projector if anyone knows of some good ones for 3D games and 3D movies. I would like one that used active 3D glasses Cheers!

@cybereality - You might know some also?

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 22,420 Oculus Staff
    This is the one I'm using now: Acer H7550ST. It's not super cheap at $850, but it's 1080P and short throw, so fit nice in my living room setup. The Optoma HD142X is cheaper at $550, but has a longer throw so will only work in large rooms. My old projector was an Optoma and it was pretty sweet. Only 720p, but that was fine for gaming since it's limited to 720p by the silly spec. I'd definitely recommend going with 1080p as the 720p projectors are not much cheaper today and you will lose out on Blu-Ray movies and desktop use. Look for DLP projectors that support DLP-Link (mostly all 3D DLP projectors should). The DLP-Link glasses are cheaper and easier to find and are good quality too.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • lovethislovethis Posts: 3,206 Poster of the Week
    @cyberaelity Are the DLP-Link glasses active glasses and do they work with this projector using Nvidia 3D vision? I've never owneda projector and really want one now but I'm cluless. Also, the Optoma HD142X is that a short throw projector and do I need a short throw in a room that is 11ft by 11ft? I was looking at a BenQ W700 3D Digital Projector are they any good? Cheers!
    Yeah, DLP-Link are active glasses. They are better than most propriety glasses (even including Nvidia) because they sync directly with the projected image and do not need an emitter or base station or anything. I would recommend getting an HDMI 1.4a compatible projector as that is the 3D standard. With that BenQ model, or other older sets, they will have more limited compatibility. For example, you won't be able to connect a PS4 or stand-alone Blu-Ray player for 3D movies. There were also a bunch of older projectors that were advertised as "3D" but couldn't actually support any 3D software. So we aware. HDMI 1.4a projectors should mostly all support Nvidia 3DTV Play software, though you will use the DLP-Link glasses of your choice (Nvidia glasses won't work, but DLP-Link glasses are nicer anyhow). You also have the option of using AMD GPUs if you ever want to switch.

The Optoma HD141X looks fairly affordable at £384.47 used on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-HD141X-Full-1080p-Projector/dp/B00M2YDBXK/

Or the newer model, Optoma HD142X for £399.73 used.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-HD142X-Projector-Viewing-Support-Black/dp/B01JOASEJU/

If you want to go really cheap, and can live with 720p, this one is a steal for £272.97 used: Optoma H183X
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-H183X-Lumens-Cinema-Projector/dp/B01D3HQS70/

At 11 feet distance you can get about a 100" image. If the projector is closer to the screen, then of course the image will be smaller. Short throw are better at much smaller distances, like between 3 to 6 feet from the wall. Like in my living room, I have the projector 6 feet from the wall and get a 125" image. 

Hope that helps.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    edited September 3
    @cybereality Cheers for the info cyber. I looked at the projectors you suggested and does the Optoma HOptoma H183XD142X have 3D or did they scrap it in the new version? Also, does the cheap Optoma H183X use the DLP-Link active glasses and is it a long throw projector that would work well in an 11ft by 11ft room? One more question...The cheap projector you recommended says it streams 1080p, so is this one 1080p or 720p? Thanks for the help.
    All 3 are 3D, not sure why it's not listed on Amazon. They should all be DLP-Link compatible. In fact, mostly all DLP projectors will support 3D and DLP-Link as it comes standard with the chip. Unless the company was really cutting corners, so good to double-check. The first 2 are 1080p native. The cheaper one is 1280 x 800 native, but can accept a 1080p signal and downscale it. 

In terms of the throw distance, you should measure out your room (i.e. where you plan to place the projector) and see how much distance there is between the lens and the wall you are to project on. Then you can figure out how big the screen will be. Here is an example calculator for the H183X:
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-H183x-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Just adjust the numbers to see how it will fit. Just eye-balling it, looks like you can get around 90" screen (this will be the same for all 3 of the ones I linked to).
    edited September 3
    @cyberaelity I was looking to get this one you recommended, but I don't see it mention 3D? Is this a 3D one? 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-HD142X-Projector-Viewing-Support-Black/dp/B01JOASEJU/

Also, do the resolution make a big difference because I might get the cheaper one if it does? Last question.. Are projectors reliable or do they break easily? Cheers!

edited September 3
    Yes, it's 3D. If in doubt, check the manufacturer website or download the manual.
    https://www2.optoma.com/us/product/hd142x/

Resolution won't matter for gaming, as the HDMI spec is limited to 720p. Even with a 1080p projector, games still run in 720p (though may look slightly better since it can upscale to 1080p). However, for movies it makes a big difference. Blu-Ray 3D is 1080p, if you watch a lot of films it will look noticeably better. I would personally go with the 1080p model, simply because you won't need to upgrade for a while, but it depends how much you want to spend and how much you will use it.

Are the reliable? Well anything can break. I had my Optoma for around 5 years and it was pretty solid the whole time. I have heard of people that had problems, but that could really happen with any product. One thing to note, the bulb has a lifespan, usually around 2000 - 3000 hours, and then it dies. So if you used it for 20 hours per week, it would last for around 2 years. For me, I didn't use it much, so after 5 years it was only half done and I sold the projector for like $300. You can buy replacement bulbs for around $150. Good to keep in mind if you are buying used as the bulb can be worn out. 
    @cybereality I was looking at this projector but noticed it doesn't use DLP. What do you think 3D movies and games using this projector would be like? Cheers!

http://www.ebuyer.com/738082-epson-eh-tw5300-3lcd-full-hd-3d-projector-v11h707041?reevoo_page=2#reevoo_embedded_reviews

edited September 4
    No, I would advise not getting anything other than DLP. With that Epson, you will need to buy their brand-specific proprietary glasses, which could be expensive or hard to find. With DLP-Link, it's a standard, so you can easier find cheap glasses on ebay, etc. and they are generally better quality with no need for an emitter.

I think the ones I recommended are good and the HD142X is confirmed to be compatible with Nvidia 3DTV Play (some projectors may not work). Is there something you are looking for that those options don't have?
    No, I just ordered the HD142X. Cheers for all the advice. Hopefully, I can set everything up alright, I can't wait to get it and watch some movies.
    @cyberaelity - At 10ft away what size screen would the HD142X be? And would moving it closer make the screen smaller? I don't have a massive amount of wall space.
    Awesome! Really hope you like it. At 10 feet you can get a 93" image. Moving it closer to the wall will make the image smaller, yes.
    edited September 5
    @cybereality My projector is on it's way but need a little more help. Do I have to get a ceiling mount for this projector and will these 3D glasses work? Also, do I just plug the projector into a hdmi port on the PC to display my PC screen and also get Nvida play to work for 3D?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEPHAS-Rechargeable-Projectors-ViewSonic-Panasonic/dp/B01BWLP1KE/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1504652918&sr=1-3-fkmr1&keywords=Optoma+HD142X+3D+glasses
    edited September 6
    Yes, those ones, as well as any DLP Link glasses will work. You can ceiling mount if you want. In my setup, I have a coffee table and I put the projector on the table's lower shelf and that works well (easier to manage cables that way). You would connect your PC to the HDMI port on the projector. Only HDMI supports 3D, so don't bother with any other ports (you can get an HDMI switch if you have multiple devices, like a PS4). The software you would use is called Nvidia 3DTV Play.
    @cybereality Can you see if you can see a HDMI switch on Amazon uk site for me cyber? I would really appreciate it as I don't want to get the wrong one. I just noticed I only have one HDMI port on my Gigabyte 1080 Graphics card and I use this for the Oculus Headset.
  • Protocol7Protocol7 Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    You can use a dvi to hdmi adapter for the video output to the rift, (the rift sends audio separately through the usb cable) that's what I am using now.

I love my projector, seeing things on a giant screen really makes them feel grander.
    Get an HDMI switch that supports 4K 60Hz and 3D. Most of the latest model ones should. I think this one will be fine:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portta-Switcher-Support-Plastic-Blu-ray/dp/B01J16CJ1G/
    I'm not 100% sure if Rift will work on that. You're better off getting a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-DisplayPort-Supports-displays-3840x2160/dp/B00S0C7QO8/
    @cybereality Are you suggesting I should get the display port to HDMI for the Rift or the Projector?

@Protocol7 - I've never owned a Projector and thought it was about time I tried one out. I hope it meets my expectation like the Oculus Rift did. I can't wait to see a movie on a large screen in my home. I hope the picture is alright because it's going on a painted white wall.
    I think either can potentially work with the adapter, so you'll have to try and see if it works.
    edited September 9
    @cybereality - I got my projector cyber and while I do like the look of projectors I can't say I'm happy with this Optama HD142X. The problem is the plug at the back of the projector seems to have a lot of play and if the lead is moved slightly it switched the projector off? Would you say it is normal for the plug at the back to have have a fair bit of wobble and cut out the power like mine does? 

Could you maybe suggest another projector if this is a common fault with the one I got. Cheers!
    Would this one by Optima be better and would it work with Nvidia 3D play (link Below) Also, what is the 3D sync plug on the back of these projectors? Do I need to purchase something else that plugs into there to get 3D on the projector. Cheers!

http://www.ebuyer.com/756388-optoma-gt1080e-1080p-projector-short-throw-gt1080e
    Hmm.. strange. On the projectors I've tried, there was never an issue with the ports or power shutting off. You may want to consider contacting the manufacturer and seeing if they will do a replacement. I can't imagine that being normal. The 3D Sync plug is for the old standard of 3D glasses, but you won't have to use this (if offers no benefit really and the older glasses probably aren't as good as DLP-Link). 

The Optoma GT1080E looks nice, it's the newer model of the one I used to have. I would have recommended it, except it's extremely short-throw. You will get a 100" image from 1 meter distance. I'm not sure if this will work in your room. In this case, it's better to have a setup like mine, with a small table in the middle of the room because ceiling mounting at that distance may be cumbersome with the wires.

I'd also recommend trying the 3D on the projector to make sure you like it before spending more money. You should just need to install and setup Nvidia 3DTV Play. Then when you start a game (with 3D enabled) the DLP-Link glasses should automatically turn on. You can select DLP-Link in the projector 3D settings if the glasses aren't enabling automatically.
  • Protocol7Protocol7 Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    Are you sure it is pushed in as far as it can go? Can you try a different cable? There should not be any wobble, it is a standard power cable like the ones that go to your computer's power supply.
    Yeah, doing a quick search of Google, I'm not finding any other reports. You probably just received a damaged unit and should exchange it for a working one.
    edited September 10
    @cybereality @Protocol7 I didn't have the plug pushed in enough. I had to give it more of a push in and now it seems tight. Can you tell me if the Optoma GT1080El is a newer model then the Optoma  HD142X? I noticed the Optima GT1080E does 144Hz, but I'm not sure the Optima 142X does the same as that. I also read that the picture on the GT model is good, but I can't seem to find a review that compares these two I've mentioned here. You don't think I'm just paying extra for it been a short throw Projector do you? Cheers!
    The Optoma GT1080E is slightly newer, from early-2017, while the HD142x was release mid-2016. However the specs are nearly the same, at least in terms of resolution and brightness. The quality of the image should be very similar or the same. Probably the only major difference is the 3D refresh rate of 144Hz (on the GT1080E) versus 120Hz (on the HD142x) but it's minor. I've tried both 120Hz and 144Hz 3D monitors, and there was no way to tell the difference. And the throw distance is different (much shorter on the GT1080E) but it's honestly too short for most setups. Are you having any sort of issue (other than the power plug)? Maybe it's something I can assist with.
    edited September 10
    @cybereality - I've decided to stick with the Optima 142X because the plug is ok now. The only problem I have is trying to figure out how I'm going to get 3D because my Geforce G1 gaming 1080 graphics card only has one Hdmi and I use that for the Oculus Rift. The other problem I'm having is how to get the best picture using user mode, I can tweak the contrast etc, But when it comes to changing the reds greens blues etc, I have no idea what I'm doing. I tried looking all over the web to try and find someone else's setting for the Optima 142X, but I can't find anything.

Edit: Also, just a thought cyber. If I'm not bothered about the 3D when I get round to looking at it. Is there any projectors that are cheaper and do just the same as the 142X? Can you suggest on if you know of any? It's just if 3D is costing me more and I don't like it then I might opt to get a cheaper one. Cheers!
    As I mentioned, you can get a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter that can work with Rift (or probably the projector too). I've used this one on Rift and it was fine.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter-Black-4K/dp/B00K0UDYLM/

The projector should come with decent default calibration, I've never had to change any of the settings and things look fine to me. Maybe brightness/contrast, but I've never had to touch the color settings.

I don't think you will find a 1080P projector for much cheaper, 3D or not. They all mostly start at around $500 and go up to around $800 (the one I use now cost me $800). You may see cheap projectors on Amazon or ebay for $100 - $200 but they are all really low resolution (standard definition) or not bright enough, or otherwise just crappy.
  • Thane_Thane_ Posts: 238
    Nexus 6
    edited September 10
    3DTV Play has a trial too if your not sure about it, or it used to anyway. I'm sure you'll be pretty blown away by it though. The first thing i'd recommend doing once you get it all working is setting your 3D Vision hotkeys for depth and convergence so you can tweak the 3D so it looks correct on your setup. Generally for games the 3D is near where you need it out of the box and requires just a little tweak to get things to the right size. For content with fixed convergence levels, some good 3D content will be made for a tiny monitor the amount of separation will be increased too far when you blow up the picture to a projector sized display. As for figuring out what changes you need to make when the 3D is not right, remember that all 3D does is mimic the eye angles you usually have when observing the real world, so when staring out into the distance your eyes view object at almost parallel and when your looking at a butterfly on your finger your eyes cross quite a bit. With the 3D glasses off and looking at the display, when viewing a line in a virtual world extending away from you into the distance, the two converging images should show that line as a V shape. Its the same line, its just the 3D is trying to get your eyes to straighten up viewing the line further away from you. There is a linear relationship between the nearest and further point and that's what those convergence and depth hotkeys tailor. The depth hotkeys controls the further depth points and the convergence hotkey controls the nearest depth point. Make sure to literally take a ruler and make sure the widest separation doesn't go beyond your IPD otherwise your eyes will be diverging outwards and that could cause some eye strain or headaches.
    Yeah, they still have the trial:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-14day-trial.html

I'd recommend getting the software and checking to see the 3D works and it looks good.
    edited September 10
    @cybereality @Thane_ Thanks for all the advice guys I really appreciate it. When you say about a trial for 3Dtv play, I think I have it installed and got mine free? The one I have installed is call Nvidia 3D vision play and I think I got it free because I own a Nvidia 3D vision kit and my computer monitor is capable of 3D. Would this be the software you are talking about or is it something different? 

One other question I would like to know if you don't mind. Would this Projector be capable of running games @120Hz without the 3D and how would you set it do this if it's possible?