cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this another known rift defect?

Nij
Heroic Explorer
So I got my replacement rift after I had the 'no sound in right earphone' issue and everything seemed fine until the other night when I tried to play games with low lighting, usually the scary type

I decided to revisit affected and straight away noticed that in the darker bits of the game I could see a prominent white smear at the bottom of both lenses that covered a good bit of the lens, which definately wasn't a reflection or god rays, it just looks like a white smear or smudge which is very visible when looking in dark areas.  Don't think it happens during loading screens, it's just usually when your looking at somewhere with very little light but it is very immersion breaking and as a fan of scary games it will definately be an issue for me, so looks like I'll have to raise another support request as where as most games I probably won't notice it but for games I love like affected, alien isolation and wilsons heart, it really is noticeable and ruins the experience

I'm contacting oculus again but just wanted to know has anyone had this issue aswell, definately nothing I've done, I always store my rift on a stand in a cool dry place and have only ever used the microfibre cloth to wipe the lenses, thanks
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit
10 REPLIES 10

flexy123
Superstar
Is these diagonal bands (about 1/3th of the screen height across the display) or "patches", or "milky way" or nebula "clusters", either in one or both displays?

They can look pale greenish, pink/reddish or white. Most apparent in scenes with black background ("Void room" in BigScreen , loading screens, Elite Dangerous and the Oculus "Adjust your Lenses" screen from the menu).

If yes, yes there are tons of people having this

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6xwbfa/is_the_red_tint_issue_back_but_this_time_its_green/
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6tca7t/why_you_may_need_to_disable_spud_oled_mura/

You can temporarily fix this by disabling SPUD (please google or search in the forum about this), although for some disabling Spud may introduce other issues.

WAITING FOR AN OFFICIAL OCULUS STATEMENT ABOUT THIS. We want this solved (obviously), also to avoid endless RMAing of units just to get replacement units that have the same issue again. People have exchanged their units for this reason just to get units back with the same problem or then even worse, in both lenses. According to my research, older units are less likely affected by this or don't have the issue at all.

Nij
Heroic Explorer

flexy123 said:

Is these diagonal bands (about 1/3th of the screen height across the display) or "patches", or "milky way" or nebula "clusters", either in one or both displays?

They can look pale greenish, pink/reddish or white. Most apparent in scenes with black background ("Void room" in BigScreen , loading screens, Elite Dangerous and the Oculus "Adjust your Lenses" screen from the menu).

If yes, yes there are tons of people having this

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6xwbfa/is_the_red_tint_issue_back_but_this_time_its_green/
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6tca7t/why_you_may_need_to_disable_spud_oled_mura/

You can temporarily fix this by disabling SPUD (please google or search in the forum about this), although for some disabling Spud may introduce other issues.

WAITING FOR AN OFFICIAL OCULUS STATEMENT ABOUT THIS. We want this solved (obviously), also to avoid endless RMAing of units just to get replacement units that have the same issue again. People have exchanged their units for this reason just to get units back with the same problem or then even worse, in both lenses. According to my research, older units are less likely affected by this or don't have the issue at all.

Yeah they are a lil like you described actually, I'll drop a few pictures at the bottom but it's very hard to try and get a picture from your rift lens

Thanks for the links, I should of checked on reddit actually but seems like the same issue, might try disabling SPUD, it does tell you how to do in the second reddit post, never had an issue with my old rift so makes sense as this has just been sent to me as a replacement

3aasmy0ur46z.jpgwkqe1bq3fms6.jpg
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
Not seen it here thankfully, would probably drive me nuts. good luck getting it fixed guys.
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
OMG! I have returned 2 sets to the store because of the same lens problem!!! My friends have older version of Oculus and dark places in scary games look so naturally dark. All mine have this some kind of gauze (thin piece of cloth ) across both lenses (inside) which is less visible in bright games, but horrible looking and annoying in dark scenes. I HAVE TO EXCHANGE mine again, until I get normal working set. Taking a picture of this issue in impossible as it can only be seen when you wearing it and playing. OCULUS HELP!

flexy123
Superstar
If you can set exposure on your cam to maximum, try this.

Nij
Heroic Explorer

OMG! I have returned 2 sets to the store because of the same lens problem!!! My friends have older version of Oculus and dark places in scary games look so naturally dark. All mine have this some kind of gauze (thin piece of cloth ) across both lenses (inside) which is less visible in bright games, but horrible looking and annoying in dark scenes. I HAVE TO EXCHANGE mine again, until I get normal working set. Taking a picture of this issue in impossible as it can only be seen when you wearing it and playing. OCULUS HELP!

Yep, sounds like exactly the same as my issue, not to bad in games in general but jeez I tried to play affected the other night and it was absolutely horrible and as a fan of scary games, it will completely ruin them, I've not heard back of support yet since the first few replies so am guessing they know this is a big issue now affecting a lot of people and simply returning my headset probably isn't gonna make it go away so we need a firmware and software update, i'm guessing

flexy123 said:

If you can set exposure on your cam to maximum, try this.

oh good idea, i'll try that tomorrow!

HillaryRClinton
Protege
I just got one 2 weeks ago and been playing mostly not dark games, recently fired up the trial to (Insert robot game here that I forgot title to) and the 2nd level is unbearable with it looking slightly worse then Nijs last image, half of both screens have such a strong grey haze, its bad. Should I roll the dice and get a replacement from Newegg? If I get another bad one would newegg full refund...how are they with this? I cant afford to throw away 350 dollars right now.

Also have an issue with it disconnecting from HDMI and sometimes sound goes out, its usually slightly static also...

Also I tried disabling SPUD and oh god the smudging and colors are OFF! This is not a fix imo.

Alexkidd62
Explorer
Hello,

Take a look at this :smile:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/61030/issue-with-display-spud-since-01-05-2018
you might want to "delete" the User/Appdata/Oculus/Spud folder but don't turn off Spud by using registry key

HillaryRClinton
Protege

Hello,

Take a look at this :smile:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/61030/issue-with-display-spud-since-01-05-2018
you might want to "delete" the User/Appdata/Oculus/Spud folder but don't turn off Spud by using registry key

No luck, tried it, this is so annoying, whats the chances the 2nd one I get will have this issue you think? Im hoping it low but this scared me: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/556455