New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Green "galaxy" like noise in both displays, noticeably worse on the right.

ShaboubalahShaboubalah Posts: 14
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
Title, in dark areas there is what looks like a galaxy of green noise in both displays, with a meandering section of black near the top (so, like a night sky with a dark band, but green). It's like thousands of tiny green spots.

Now, I know the SDE and god rays, and this issue is neither. It is also not present on my bf's Rift, and was not present in the demo Rift I used. To say, not present in ANY degree.

I'm already in contact with support, but I'm assuming because my phone just cannot take a good representative photo of the issue, my complaint has been all but dismissed at this time. I find this unacceptable, this issue is making certain games and experiences nearly unplayable. This is the photo I sent: https://imgur.com/a/cb74H

It's admittedly a horrible representation of the issue since it just looks like green blurring (again, phone camera issue), but you would think the obvious difference between the two displays would give some cause for RMA.

I'm hoping someone who had a similar issue could give me their experience on how the issue was resolved. I'm currently sitting with this response from support:

"Thanks for sending us the picture.

The occurrence you're describing appears to be normal behavior, and exists to some degree in all headsets.

While it can vary between headsets, it more typically varies between users. This does not affect the functionality of the Rift, and should still allow for great experiences.

I realize that this is not the answer that you were hoping for; however, we do appreciate your understanding in this matter."

I really hope this is a misunderstanding due to the photo because there is no way I'm putting up with defective hardware (which this clearly is).

Comments

• flexy123flexy123 Posts: 647 Poster of the Week
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6xwbfa/is_the_red_tint_issue_back_but_this_time_its_green/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6xcgr1/need_to_talk_to_an_actual_oculus_developer_about/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6ulsha/very_bad_mura_correction_noise_on_my_new_oculus/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6tca7t/why_you_may_need_to_disable_spud_oled_mura/

I could likely spend an hour here on the forum and collecting these and then on reddit and fill two pages with it.

THIS IS NOT, BY ANY MEANS "normal behaviour". There is a number of people on reddit right now having the problem. it is VERY distracting and makes the Rift in dark/black scenes more or less un-usable. People are returning their Rifts for this reason just to get units back with the same issue or the issue even worse. As to my knowledge, "older" units with lower serial number are not affected.

People had been at Oculus Connect and had been bringing this issue to the attention of Oculus reps. They had been told to PUSH.CUSTOMER SUPPORT.ABOUT.THIS because "this is definitely not normal". (Original citation Oculus reps)

Distracting greenish/white/reddish bands/"galaxies" etc. all across the display? You must be kidding me caliing this "normal".

OP, right now there is no "solution" to this, except that you can "deactivate Spud" (search the forum or google about this) which gets rid of the artifacts but might (or might not) introduce other issues, your mileage may vary.

• ShaboubalahShaboubalah Posts: 14
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited September 5
    flexy123 said:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6xwbfa/is_the_red_tint_issue_back_but_this_time_its_green/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6xcgr1/need_to_talk_to_an_actual_oculus_developer_about/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6ulsha/very_bad_mura_correction_noise_on_my_new_oculus/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6tca7t/why_you_may_need_to_disable_spud_oled_mura/

I could likely spend an hour here on the forum and collecting these and then on reddit and fill two pages with it.

THIS IS NOT, BY ANY MEANS "normal behaviour". There is a number of people on reddit right now having the problem. it is VERY distracting and makes the Rift in dark/black scenes more or less un-usable. People are returning their Rifts for this reason just to get units back with the same issue or the issue even worse. As to my knowledge, "older" units with lower serial number are not affected.

People had been at Oculus Connect and had been bringing this issue to the attention of Oculus reps. They had been told to PUSH.CUSTOMER SUPPORT.ABOUT.THIS because "this is definitely not normal". (Original citation Oculus reps)

Distracting greenish/white/reddish bands/"galaxies" etc. all across the display? You must be kidding me caliing this "normal".

OP, right now there is no "solution" to this, except that you can "deactivate Spud" (search the forum or google about this) which gets rid of the artifacts but might (or might not) introduce other issues, your mileage may vary.

Thank you, I thought I was going crazy. I started a thread on Reddit and just now someone told me it's normal and present on all displays, which is "funny" considering neither my bf's Rift nor the demo Rift I tried had ANY degree of this issue. I just really wish I could get a better photo to show what I'm seeing. I also do indeed have the new Rift bundle, while demo/bf/friend's versions are the two box sets. Smh.
    edited September 5
    Lol, people should not assume that Oculus users are stupid. Lots of folks can compare to the old units, there was not such an issue, ever. Slight "linen effect", yes, this is normal, but not obvious bands across the screen. The fact that the artifacts are not easy to catch on camera doesn't make the issue go away.

We know exactly what you're seeing, and so do many more users.

There are two scenarios here:

1.) Oculus (& CSRs) are unaware of the problem: Then they  need to get up-to-date on this.

2.) They know about the issue but try to convince people it's "normal".

Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    flexy123 said:
    Lol, people should not assume that Oculus users are stupid. Lots of folks can compare to the old units, there was not such an issue, ever. Slight "linen effect", yes, this is normal, but not obvious bands across the screen. The fact that the artifacts are not easy to catch on camera doesn't make the issue go away.

We know exactly what you're seeing, and so do many more users.

There are two scenarios here:

1.) Oculus (& CSRs) are unaware of the problem: Then they  need to get up-to-date on this.

2.) They know about the issue but try to convince people it's "normal".

So, going into the registry completely got rid of the problem, but now I have some strange lag. Sigh. Well the Rift is going back either way, at least to the retailer since I also got a dead sensor in my package (so lucky). Then maybe someone can try it on and see it for themselves what the photo doesn't show.
    Lag shouldn't be because of disabling Spud, maybe reboot the PC.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited September 5
    flexy123 said:
    Lag shouldn't be because of disabling Spud, maybe reboot the PC.
    All good now.

So now I'm wondering, is this a viable "fix", will this become an issue down the road, does it affect the display long term, why didn't support tell me about this, etc etc. 450€ and I had the crap luck to get the new SKU bundle. 

*EDIT* While searching around the forums I actually found you also bought from Caseking and returned for the same issue. How is Caseking about returns? What's the turn around rate?
    edited September 5
    Caseking is great...and returns from within Germany should not be an issue. I had a "slight" delay because I live in Spain, and all returns from other countries end up in some different section in their receiving center so they basically "forgot" about my package. After 12 days I pushed a CSR via Hardwareluxx forum...and they *immediately* searched for the package and found the "lost" package and sent the new exchange unit next day in the morning. (It cannot hurt if you remind them after some days about your return so this won't happen to you). Otherwise no problem with return and also with reimbursement of shipping costs.

YET..here's the issue, but this will likely apply to any other retailer at least in Europe. I am pretty much believing your replacement unit will have the same issue, like happened to me and many others. As it looks to me, the only way to increase chances for an ok unit is if you happen to get an "old" unit. I BELIEVE that Oculus also re-packaged some older units for the new SKUs, at least according to someone who got an exchange from BestBuy (US), the guy said he got a new Bundle (with Touch) for replacement but the unit itself, the "perfect unit" had an "old" serial number. (Go figure....) Whether such old units can be found in new bundles...and what retailer has them and how to know that you get them....no idea. It's really a lottery game. Of course I can be wrong and your next unit be ok, but I'd be surprised. (If I were convinced this being the case, I had long started exchanging THIS unit as well, of course)

*** Needless to say the idiocy that the OLD BUNDLE (although still available in some places, incl. CK) costs much more. Alternatively, should your replacement have the issue again...what would be an option is simply returning unit, get money back and then buy an "old" unit, say from ebay or classifieds.

*** Edit: realizing we're talking about the impossibility/difficulty to purchase an Oculus Rift without a flaw. That we even need to do this is ridiculous on its own...

Edit2: No, disabling Spud does not in any way affect reliability etc. BUT it can be that it can cause issues like poorer "not so black" blacks and some report ghosting, more apparent god rays or whatever. Might depend on your particular displays.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    flexy123 said:
    Caseking is great...and returns from within Germany should not be an issue. I had a "slight" delay because I live in Spain, and all returns from other countries end up in some different section in their receiving center so they basically "forgot" about my package. After 12 days I pushed a CSR via Hardwareluxx forum...and they *immediately* searched for the package and found the "lost" package and sent the new exchange unit next day in the morning. (It cannot hurt if you remind them after some days about your return so this won't happen to you). Otherwise no problem with return and also with reimbursement of shipping costs.

YET..here's the issue, but this will likely apply to any other retailer at least in Europe. I am pretty much believing your replacement unit will have the same issue, like happened to me and many others. As it looks to me, the only way to increase chances for an ok unit is if you happen to get an "old" unit. I BELIEVE that Oculus also re-packaged some older units for the new SKUs, at least according to someone who got an exchange from BestBuy (US), the guy said he got a new Bundle (with Touch) for replacement but the unit itself, the "perfect unit" had an "old" serial number. (Go figure....) Whether such old units can be found in new bundles...and what retailer has them and how to know that you get them....no idea. It's really a lottery game. Of course I can be wrong and your next unit be ok, but I'd be surprised. (If I were convinced this being the case, I had long started exchanging THIS unit as well, of course)

*** Needless to say the idiocy that the OLD BUNDLE (although still available in some places, incl. CK) costs much more. Alternatively, should your replacement have the issue again...what would be an option is simply returning unit, get money back and then buy an "old" unit, say from ebay or classifieds.

*** Edit: realizing we're talking about the impossibility/difficulty to purchase an Oculus Rift without a flaw. That we even need to do this is ridiculous on its own...

Edit2: No, disabling Spud does not in any way affect reliability etc. BUT it can be that it can cause issues like poorer "not so black" blacks and some report ghosting, more apparent god rays or whatever. Might depend on your particular displays.
    I think the worst part of all of this is that it's only other people with the same issues who are even acknowledging this. I still can't believe that last reply I got from support. I even mentioned how none of the other Rift headsets I've tried had this issue in any capacity yet they try and say it's normal. Unbelievable. The only good thing about support atm is that they are getting back to me very quickly (three times in one day), though I suspect some of that may be because my ticket was never escalated...

I'm within Germany so hopefully my return will be quick and painless. Maybe I'll win the Rift lottery...I'll report back.
    I mentioned on reddit the possibility that the displays are "bad", but thinking about it, if this was the case turning Spud off should show all kinds of horrors but it doesn't. (With the exception of somewhat poorer blacks and possibly a not so optimal gamma curve). But there is no indication that the displays are "bad". This makes me believe it may be a problem with Spud (aka: Oculus software) which means it should be solvable.

Anyway, much luck with your return :)
  • Neme2017Neme2017 Posts: 16
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I understand perfectly the problem you have, in fact my cv1 and my girlfriend also have it, mine is very serious on the left screen, although I got many more problems, in the end I opened an RMA and I am waiting of a replacement, but without any hope that the next one is better. I also wondered if I was going crazy, since I did not find any current post on the subject and almost no one seemed to understand that ruling. I also tried SPUD but to start the screens turned gray and never black ...
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 486
    Trinity
    I get the green galaxy if I have my Rift plugged through the adapter to the mini display port.
    But in the back with my roomscale where the hdmi connection works I dont get it.
    WAAAGH!
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Neme2017 said:
    I understand perfectly the problem you have, in fact my cv1 and my girlfriend also have it, mine is very serious on the left screen, although I got many more problems, in the end I opened an RMA and I am waiting of a replacement, but without any hope that the next one is better. I also wondered if I was going crazy, since I did not find any current post on the subject and almost no one seemed to understand that ruling. I also tried SPUD but to start the screens turned gray and never black ...
    I'll need to compare the black again with my bf's, I wouldn't even know what the black is supposed to look like at this point anymore. After weeks of using this one, all I know is green speckles, what is black? :pensive:

Morgrum said:
    I get the green galaxy if I have my Rift plugged through the adapter to the mini display port.
    But in the back with my roomscale where the hdmi connection works I dont get it.
    That's actually really interesting. I kind of want to start a spreadsheet with all this info...
    Morgrum said:
    Could you please double check this, say in BigScreen when you're in "The Void" room?

There is only one logical explanation for this, this would be a different output dynamic range (blacks) you get on the HDMI, so that the Rift doesn't display the black levels which would show the bands. It definitely hasn't to do with DVI/HDMI *per se*. (HDMI when it's set at limited range would only send brightness levels of 16-235, which would mean it's possibly excluding the "critical" range)

Unfortunately, with the latest Nvidia drivers I cannot "simply" switch the output dynamic range any more. Whether there is a relationship deserves to be investigated...although optimally you don't want to be at limited range anyway.
  • NijNij Posts: 223
    Art3mis
    I've also got a very similar issue and started a thread too and am also in contact with oculus

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/57146/is-this-another-known-rift-defect#latest

I had my original rift since launch and only ever had the red tint issue which went after the updates but my original recently had the issue with no audio on the right hand side and they sent me a replacement rift which now has the above issue and looks like it has a white smear or smudge in both lenses and is very much noticeable in darker areas of games and completely ruins affected

@flexy123
    I've tried it in bigscreen too after your suggestion and it is visible there too but not as much as in affected

Having just had a new rift sent out, the process took around just over 2 weeks and I'm in the UK which was painful enough and I can't face another 2 weeks for only to get another rift with the same issue

I haven't tried disabling SPUD yet but will maybe try that tomorrow, just wanted to see what oculus have to say next and didn't want it to start causing further issues

Here's the pic I managed to take with my s8+ which does make it look a tad green

I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D
    edited September 6
    Yup, looks almost identical to mine and the previous unit.

https://imgur.com/a/I4kZ2

Anyway I am in contact with them as well now and I am happy to help with what I found out so far. They are looking into this now and I understand this takes some time. (IMO, this is a problem with Spud).
    By the way, try disabling Spud. It works "alright" without Spud. Yet, the issue here of course is that Spud is not doing what it's supposed to do. Spud should actually get rid of (natural) imperfections in the screens, not cause them :)

Why I think it is a problem with Spud, and *possibly* solvable in software: If the displays would be "bad", I think it should be noticeable without Spud. But without Spud, I "merely" have somewhat poor blacks and possibly a not so optimal gamma curve..but I don't notice any flaws with the display itself.

(This is what I think we're seeing here. Left is a calibration image of the display. Every Rift has them, actually many for various brightness levels. Spud uses them to correct for display imperfections. Right is the same img, negative,contrast incr. and slightly rotated.)
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited September 7
    dupe removed
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Nij said:
    I've also got a very similar issue and started a thread too and am also in contact with oculus

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/57146/is-this-another-known-rift-defect#latest

I had my original rift since launch and only ever had the red tint issue which went after the updates but my original recently had the issue with no audio on the right hand side and they sent me a replacement rift which now has the above issue and looks like it has a white smear or smudge in both lenses and is very much noticeable in darker areas of games and completely ruins affected

@flexy123
    I've tried it in bigscreen too after your suggestion and it is visible there too but not as much as in affected

Having just had a new rift sent out, the process took around just over 2 weeks and I'm in the UK which was painful enough and I can't face another 2 weeks for only to get another rift with the same issue

I haven't tried disabling SPUD yet but will maybe try that tomorrow, just wanted to see what oculus have to say next and didn't want it to start causing further issues

Here's the pic I managed to take with my s8+ which does make it look a tad green

This is actually the best photo I've seen of the exact issue I'm having. 
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    flexy123 said:
    Yup, looks almost identical to mine and the previous unit.

https://imgur.com/a/I4kZ2

Anyway I am in contact with them as well now and I am happy to help with what I found out so far. They are looking into this now and I understand this takes some time. (IMO, this is a problem with Spud).
    By the way, try disabling Spud. It works "alright" without Spud. Yet, the issue here of course is that Spud is not doing what it's supposed to do. Spud should actually get rid of (natural) imperfections in the screens, not cause them :)

Why I think it is a problem with Spud, and *possibly* solvable in software: If the displays would be "bad", I think it should be noticeable without Spud. But without Spud, I "merely" have somewhat poor blacks and possibly a not so optimal gamma curve..but I don't notice any flaws with the display itself.

(This is what I think we're seeing here. Left is a calibration image of the display. Every Rift has them, actually many for various brightness levels. Spud uses them to correct for display imperfections. Right is the same img, negative,contrast incr. and slightly rotated.)
    This is better than any Oculus tech has given me so far. It's completely accurate to the issue. Any word from support so far? Clearly this is coming down to a mostly calibration issue, mixed with some possible hardware. Why on earth would Oclulus not address this instead of letting us exchange headsets out constantly? Vive has serious issues, but Oculus is rapidly losing their cred with this, especially at the equal price in Europe (its actually cheaper for us to have a three point sensor setup with vive, and considerably after the sale was over)

I very much appreciate your sleuthing. Oclulus itself should appreciate you right now as well, you're the only reason a lot of us here and on Reddit are holding on for a software/firmware update until an official statement is given (ahem, my limit is two weeks, my EU consumer laws and personal impatience)
    Yes I believe they are investigating this and wouldn't mind an "official statement" either. Not "insider engineer information" (we won't get this :) but a hint that the issue is acknowledged and whether a software update MIGHT possibly solve this and could be expected.
    I don't know when the issue came to their attention (whether this happened when we started tickets or whether the issue is known for longer)...so I have no information there on progress either.
    I just had a thought...

Does the Rift run the Spud calibration images through barrel distortion maybe, like everything else?
    This would explain why the bands always have this arc shape.

Art3mis
    edited September 8
    flexy123 said:
    I just had a thought...

Does the Rift run the Spud calibration images through barrel distortion maybe, like everything else?
    This would explain why the bands always have this arc shape.

I think you should be working for them haha,  sounds like you would fix the issue quicker, support have gone quiet, so guess they must be investigating this, I wondered, the two weeks I was waiting for my replacement rift, I had the windows 10 creators edition update and 2 nvidia driver updates, so wondered if this had anything to do with it or is it just the new rifts, Ahh well hope it gets fixed through an update, I don't wanna have to send it back again! 
    I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    "Greetings,

Thank you for your patience as we work to answer your ticket in the order it was received.

Due to the Summer of Rift sale, we are experiencing a larger contact volume than normal.

You have reached the highest point of escalation, but we have not had the chance to investigate your case at this time.

Rest assured that Oculus Support is actively answering tickets and you have not been forgotten.

We appreciate your understanding and continued patience as we strive to answer all contacts as quickly as possible."

So hey, some good news (escalation!). Fingers crossed I get some official word on this issue. Now to wait.

Art3mis
    edited September 11
    "Greetings,

Thank you for your patience as we work to answer your ticket in the order it was received.

Due to the Summer of Rift sale, we are experiencing a larger contact volume than normal.

You have reached the highest point of escalation, but we have not had the chance to investigate your case at this time.

Rest assured that Oculus Support is actively answering tickets and you have not been forgotten.

We appreciate your understanding and continued patience as we strive to answer all contacts as quickly as possible."

So hey, some good news (escalation!). Fingers crossed I get some official word on this issue. Now to wait.

Yeah I got the same email, so hopefully they're taking it seriously now, I've noticed like a white haze aswell that's fills up most of the lens, noticed it on wilsons heart n then even on the sensor setup screen, can see dark levels right at the the top then like this white haze, almost like your looking through a net curtain! 
  • ReapolaReapola Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I've submitted a ticket for this exact same issue, only in the right lens and is extremely annoying!
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited September 14
    UPDATE for anyone still interested, I haven't heard back from Oculus, but I did submit my ticket number to a "product specialist" in the Oculus subreddit asking for them (In a thread where someone literally just wanted to add themselves to the list of people with this issue) so they could check the emailed logs and such themselves. It's been a week now since I had a non-automated email directly from support.
  • Godit82Godit82 Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Getting the same issue here with my new replacement. Definitely did not have the green galaxies on my first headset and I spend a lot of time in the focus menu because my issue was with the IPD setting. Tried the "gen 2" (new faceplate) replacement on for the first time to set the IPD and it was like "WHOA, what the heck is this!?!?"

Do you have a link to that subreddit thread with the "product specialist"?

Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    add another user around here with the green stripe problem, I just got the replacement of my first HMD that had this problem in the left eye and very far from solved, I just got an HMD with the same problem but much more serious and in both eyes, this is intolerable, not only do not solve the problem but give you a worse one in worse conditions.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    This is what I see now in each eye

Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Godit82 said:
    Getting the same issue here with my new replacement. Definitely did not have the green galaxies on my first headset and I spend a lot of time in the focus menu because my issue was with the IPD setting. Tried the "gen 2" (new faceplate) replacement on for the first time to set the IPD and it was like "WHOA, what the heck is this!?!?"

Do you have a link to that subreddit thread with the "product specialist"?

Here you go https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6zp9bb/green_dots/
    Art3mis
    I just had an email advising hopefully a future software update may resolve this and would I like to proceed with another replacement but am thinking it prob won't change anything so not sure what to do, I just had the 1.18 OH and a firmware update and I noticed a slight improvement but it's definitely still there!