cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel abandoned about AAA games support on Steam, please help

Dan1018
Adventurer
Yesterday I have read about the Htc Vive exclusive for the AAA game L.A.Noire. I bought Oculus this summers's sale to buy games also on Steam as many
people did. It's just a peripheral, a complex monitor 2.0 basically,
it's a pain to see developers giving exclusives to some monitors instead
than others. To be honest I'm angry with this really narrow minded.
People like me just committed sacrifices to buy Oculus Rift and give
trust to the new VR market in general, and now the first AAA games such
L.A. Noire, Fallout 4, Doom VFR, are just off the official Rift suppot
on Steam. As a customer I wish to run in the opposite direction. Maybe I
had to wait before jumping into the vr market. I couldn't afford a vive
and I wouldn't because they are going to replace their controllers
design, so I bought the Rift for a better price and it is awesome, it
could make run/display those AAA games very very well.
I see/feel
like if I'm in a situation of being abandoned. Is it like this? I hope
someone can do something. Maybe just letting our voices reach the right
people could count.
54 REPLIES 54

Cpt_Custard
Adventurer
I think we will be able to play L.A.Noire at some point. It will just take a while to get to us rift users.

Dan1018
Adventurer
To be honest I'm considering to go for the full refound from the shop were I bought it, it is not possible this situation.
If I'll maybe have to wait some months or a year, I will probably wait until I understand which VR peripheral can run games without embargoed as if we were in a war, then I will buy the right product. 
I just want to have fun. Before I bought Oculus I asked everywhere if it were supporting Steam games and the situations appeared "sunshine and roses", but it's not.

Dan1018
Adventurer

Atmos73 said:

Oculus have been buying Devs and releasing exclusives from day one. Oculus are very proud of their exclusives like Lone Echo and Robo Recall they spend millions for them.

So now Steam has some great AAA titles coming from Bethesda and now Rockstar not to mention what Valve has up its sleeve.

Good times.

are not good times if we can't play them (I do not know if you have also Vive, for "we" I intend Oculus only owners).

Vive people can play also Oculus games with the revive software. For Vive customers are good times, but for Oculus customers are very bad times.

maxpare79
Trustee
Ok clearly you are new to all of this...The Rift can play every SteamVR games out there, there is no such thing as a VIVE exclusive. Button placement on the controllers might be a bit weird since the game wasn't designed with the Touch in mind, but you will be able to play it. And don't count on Atmos lol to tell you that 😉
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

falken76
Expert Consultant
Zenimax claims that Oculus stole their IP.  Zenimax is like the borg of gaming studios.  They purchase them up, they become assimilated into the collective because when it comes to corporations and money resistance is futile.  Those titles (At least most of them) were developed by studios that were assimilated by the borg and with the lawsuit that zenimax had against Oculus/Facebook I'm sure Zenimax doesn't want Rifters to play them. (Are they still trying to get Rift taken off the shelves?)

BUT, Bethesda just slammed HTC for advertising Fallout 4 as a Vive exclusive and Vive backpeddled saying they didn't realize they made the mistake.  I'm sure this stuff is going to be available on rift officially.  Until then I'm sure they'll have something like Re-vive for Rift with crappy wand problems.

falken76
Expert Consultant

dan108 said:

To be honest I'm considering to go for the full refound from the shop were I bought it, it is not possible this situation.
If I'll maybe have to wait some months or a year, I will probably wait until I understand which VR peripheral can run games without embargoed as if we were in a war, then I will buy the right product. 
I just want to have fun. Before I bought Oculus I asked everywhere if it were supporting Steam games and the situations appeared "sunshine and roses", but it's not.

You're running out of time on that receipt, better hurry.  And only buy from established brands that are not stepping into something new like Sony, Nintendo or Xbox.  VR is still in early adoption times, you've got several years to go, probably at least 5 if not 10.

falken76
Expert Consultant

dan108 said:

Atmos73 said:

Oculus have been buying Devs and releasing exclusives from day one. Oculus are very proud of their exclusives like Lone Echo and Robo Recall they spend millions for them.

So now Steam has some great AAA titles coming from Bethesda and now Rockstar not to mention what Valve has up its sleeve.

Good times.

are not good times if we can't play them (I do not know if you have also Vive, for "we" I intend Oculus only owners).

Vive people can play also Oculus games with the revive software. For Vive customers are good times, but for Oculus customers are very bad times.

HTC is trying to sell off the Vive right now, I'd be worried that my hardware would be abandoned soon if I were a vive owner, maybe someone with money and drive will purchase it, but then again maybe they'll sell or license off their IP to other parties that want to use it with their new products... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:

Good times.

Why "Good times"?

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
Listen if it's any consolation, the VIVE sucks. I wouldn't even WANT to play those games If I could only play them on vive. I've had vive, I sold vive, no thankyou! CRAP crap crap (it really is a janky pos). It would ruin VR for me. Even if they weren't on rift or can't be on rift, I'd prefer to wait for Vive 2 or LG or something better than VIVE 1 to play those games on.

Meanwhile Rift has a ton of polished content, the best ergonomics/controllers in the business and you I assume bought it for a very good bargain price as did I. I've already had my money's worth just using it in Unreal engine and one or two games, it's brought me more joy in 6 weeks than Vive did all that time back, and it cost me half as much! 

And besides, rift will run most stuff on Steam VR just may not have the controllers mapped well. 

I get the feeling a lot of the devs are doing it because of anti-facebook/monopoly reasons, and I'm actually all for that, because I'm not a rfit fanboy I just looked at the gear available in gen 1 and RIFT is the ONLY one worth any cash at all! If those games didn't work on it, so be it, I'll wait till gen 2 and go where I need. The devs and maybe now even Palmer himself want to get things open and away from Facebook, I didn't buy into rift in the sale to be on the facebook bandwagon forever, I bought what was best for me right now. VIVE is not worth it. simple!
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro