New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

The Reason I haven't played in a while...too much equipment and cables

nerdVRBuddynerdVRBuddy Posts: 66
Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
Yup That's the reason i haven't played my oculus in a while. There's too much equipment and stuff to  connect. How do you guys do it?

Comments

• falken76falken76 Posts: 1,616 Poster of the Week
    All I have to do is put on my headset and it's ready to go.  I don't have to set it up every time I use it.
  • SiilkSiilk Posts: 49
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Yep, connected everything and left on my PC desk so for me it's just "grab the headset and motion controllers" and I'm good to go. But if you're in a situation where you have to disconnect everything before playing then yeah, you're in a bit of a pickle.

• Mot666Mot666 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited September 12
    Two(four) plugs are keeping you from Rifting?
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 711
    Neo
    You can make it easier to set up if you use a 3' extension cable for the HDMI and a powered usb 3 hub, so at least the connections are all in the front.  I glued a hub to one of the unused front 5" blankoff panels for semi-permanent installation. The case has two usb3 headers on the front.
    I just leave it all connected anyway, but retain this setup from when I was switching back and forth with a Vive.

i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • dburnedburne Posts: 713
    Neo
    I too just leave everything connected, headset ready to go at a moments notice.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • DevilstowerDevilstower Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    I leave it all connected, with the "hat" just sitting there on my PC and the Touch controllers on my desk. When I feel like playing, I stick on the hat. I love that I can "see" the touch controllers through the display. In fact, I make a point of not picking them up in advance just so I can chuckle over that trick.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,295 Power Poster
    AS everyone else has said, leave it all connected. My sensors are mounted high up on shelves, and my headset and Touch controllers are sitting by my PC ready to be picked up and used.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • FunkyLasagneFunkyLasagne Posts: 114
    Art3mis
    I don't think I could cope with unplugging everything.  Not only would you have to plug everything again, but presumably you need to go through setup, calibrate Guardian etc as your sensors will be in slightly different positions.  No wonder you haven't played for a while.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,528
    3Jane
    i typically have to get real good and stoned before venturing into CV1, its the only way i can get over the measly FoV and low resolution ( and cables i guess, but i would rather higher fov and res before wireless)
    But it could buy me a boat
    It could buy me a truck to pull it
    It could buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets
    3Jane
    guys i think he just meant that it was wired
  • FunkyLasagneFunkyLasagne Posts: 114
    Art3mis
    danknugz said:
    guys i think he just meant that it was wired
    Are you sure?  He/she says "There's too much equipment and stuff to  connect." which why I thought they were talking about plugging stuff in (otherwise there is nothing to connect, it is all connected already).
    3Jane
    i find it more probable that someone would see it as a fault of the device if they were referring to its wired nature as opposed to having to set it up every time (which really has nothing to do with CV1 but this persons own situation)
  • nerdVRBuddynerdVRBuddy Posts: 66
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Well i would leave the headset outside but since we have cockroaches and stuff, i run the risk of putting on a headset full of critters, even spiderwebs. So i always have to roll the cable and put the rift back in the box or in a backpack i have
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Well i would leave the headset outside but since we have cockroaches and stuff, i run the risk of putting on a headset full of critters, even spiderwebs. So i always have to roll the cable and put the rift back in the box or in a backpack i have
    Hi tech low life, eh? Seems like you're living a true cyberpunk life out there.
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 711
    Neo
    I think I'd invent a plastic bag to handle that. I got some huge baggies from amazon like 12" x 16" to keep printer filament in.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • 74Loki74Loki Posts: 14
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I always just leave mine connected. I added a 10' USB 3.0 and HDMI extension to the headset. I then mounted some keybacks (those things that retract your keys back to your belt) to the ceiling with eye hooks. I then added some lightweight carabiners to the keybacks to run the cords through. That way my cable is never on the floor tripping me and extends when I need it to and retracts when I don't. Gives me plenty of cord for the 15' X 10' play space I have set up. The sensors all just stay where they are at all times.
    3Jane
    i would love to put on my rift and have a cockroach hiss and run across my eyelids
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 1,616 Poster of the Week

Lol, why was this thread even started?  Your environment certainly isn't the norm that most of us experience around this kind of equipment.  The thread should be re-named to "Who else shares living space with Cockroaches and Spiders forcing you to put your headset away after use"
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 22,420 Oculus Staff
    danknugz said:
    i would love to put on my rift and have a cockroach hiss and run across my eyelids
    Considering all the amazingly cool things @danknugz "hates", this is quite a statement.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • nangunangu Posts: 38
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I don't have spiders and/or cockroaches but I have some strange bugs, known as "kids", roaring, moaning and crashing things in my home so every time I want to use my rift I have to unpack everything and repack again when finished :-(

So yes, I undertand OP, it's a pain in the f.... a.....
  • MarlarkMarlark Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I also have those "kids" with way to long fingers. My solution was to put a gate on the door into the room where i have my emm "toys". However it created a dif type of problem. Now i have a kid standing there humming constantly to get attention ;)
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Well, you can get an external PCI-E port(something like this), plug a USB controller into it, connect all the oculus & sensor cables into it. Then it will be a one-plug thing, i.e. connecting the PCI-E holder to PC. Not sure if this setup is viable but theoretically it can work. Bandwidth should not be a problem as there are PCI-E adapters which can be used to house a GPU externally(to use with laptops for instance) but the whole system will be quite fiddly so I'm not sure rift itself would like being plugged in like that.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 7,442 Power Poster
    My car has lots of parts and cables as well, but I still drive it. Invest in some Pest Control.
    Unbanned but never Unbaned.

Lawnmower Man (or Woman)

Zenbane said:
    My car has lots of parts and cables as well, but I still drive it. Invest in some Pest Control.
    To be fair, you don't disassemble your car every time you're done driving. A horse-driven cart would've been a better example: you have to harness the horse each time you ride somewhere and unharness it when you're back. But yeah, people were doing that for ages and it certainly seems like much more work than plugging in 4 USB connectors.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 7,442 Power Poster
    Siilk said:

Zenbane said:
    To be fair, you don't disassemble your car every time you're done driving.

I don't disassemble my Rift every time I'm done Rifting either. I get that there's a pest control issue, hence my second statement.
    Unbanned but never Unbaned.

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 486
    Trinity
    Careful you might just find more then you expect.

And on that Note F those things F them with FIRE!
    Camel Spiders are on my top five reasons why I hate the Middle East.
    WAAAGH!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 22,420 Oculus Staff
    That's straight out of Alien.

Who needs Alien Isolation in VR when you can just get one those and let it loose in your house?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 573
    Neo
    I hear this stuff works wonders:

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 365
    Trinity
    Just kill the roaches. Use this and you'll never see another roach again. I'm serious.